what kind of illustration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what kind of illustration

what is the illustration style where its one color and you use simple shapes to define the shadows that define the face?

linocut?
    Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Any printing process that limits colour has seen this kind of illustration. Also try screenprint or letterpress.
      It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Posterized? Monochromatic?

Comment

I don't know if this is a specific style itself. Several illustration styles use this method.
          "Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
          -Steve Jobs

Comment

Can you be more specific?
            http://www.paulsullivanstudio.com

Comment

I'm pretty sure he is talking about vector illustration (which is a very general term). I'm not sure if there is a term for the 'style' because people have been doing this before computers.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.McNinja View Post
                I'm pretty sure he is talking about vector illustration (which is a very general term). I'm not sure if there is a term for the 'style' because people have been doing this before computers.
                I thought maybe vector at first too, but you can get that look in pretty much any medium. Everything from pen and ink to Photoshop.
                -Steve Jobs

Comment

Yes.. there is no term (at least not commonly know) to describe this type of illustration. It's what people associate with 'vectors'.

Comment

Cell shading, maybe?
                    -Steve Jobs

Comment

This is what I'm talking about it might be a technique
                      Attached Files

Comment

I don't know that it's called anything. It's one version of chairoscuro, but not the only one.
                        People will believe anything, which means I will believe anythingI want to start believing in things that have shapeliness and harmony.
                        -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Comment

Yes, this technique does have a name. In illustration this is referred to as a version of posterization.
                          In this particular case the posterization is stylized. Thus, this the particular image posted is a stylized posterization.

I find it hard to believe that people are going around calling themselves designers and do not know this.
                          Last edited by sully1251; 06-24-2012, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sully1251 View Post
                            Yes, this technique does have a name. In illustration this is referred to as a version of posterization.
                            In this particular case the posterization is stylized. Thus, this the particular image posted is a stylized posterization.

I find it hard to believe that people are going around calling themselves designers and do not know this.
                            Well, excuuuuuse me.

I know what posterization is, the transference of tones into a striated selection, but I learned about it as an unwanted effect on halftones by using too high a line screen on an output device that doesn't have the resolution to handle it.

Not all of of us have design degrees or extensive professional training. Just because we don't know all the jargon doesn't mean we can't get the job done within the scope of our learned skills and experience.
                            People will believe anything, which means I will believe anythingI want to start believing in things that have shapeliness and harmony.
                            -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Comment

Yes, you should excuse yourself. This isn't jargon.

When using posterization the artist reduces an image to its basic shapes, eliminating any blending between colors. In illustration, an image can be posterized using one color or a number of colors. The technique derives its name from the fact that it is a method of simplifing an image for basic poster reproduction methods such as silk screen. This method of illustration has a positive benefit in that it can lead to a simplier, bolder image— which is big plus for poster art.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X