Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freelance = jobs?

Hello Everyone.
    I am new to this forum and I had some questions. I have been working as a gallery artist for the last few years, though my school background is in Illustration and I have been working on developing new work. Do you think it is possible to get freelance work despite having an incomplete portfolio? I am always working on ideas, but I want to get experience asap.

Also, has any freelance work people have done here equated to full time work? Thanks
    -J

Welcome Aboard!

You are here by allowed to indulge in this luxurious piece of Chocolate Cake!

When you get settled please read this as well as these very important threads. They will give you all the info you need on how the forum runs, the rules and regs, and give you some background info on our long running, inside jokes

Comment

Welcome.

Are you talking about freelance illustration or freelance graphic design?
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

maybe a little bit of both. but illustration preferably. iv really been interested in working with product label designs, specifically wine labels. So that kind of entails both.
        Here are some examples:
        http://www.behance.net/jasonstallings

Comment

Since your schooling background is in illustration, and you obviously have some real world experience under your belt, I don't see why you couldn't freelance. As for making a living at it, that would depend on how large of a client base you could build. Of course you would also need some business background to deal with running your freelance business.

For graphic design, we usually do not recommend trying to freelance without any kind of education or real world experience in it.
          Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Thank you
            A lot of my real world experience has been through my fine art. If anything I am ready to work with some art directors and get some real challenging design work. Not to say the painting has not had it's own challenges, but I'v sometimes worked with people with little to no knowledge of art or what I can really give them. Sometimes it works in your favor, sometimes it doesn't.
            Anyway thanks for the feedback!

Comment

You could definitely partner with a designer to produce joint work - you doing the illustration and the designer doing the rest. You'd both learn from one another.
              Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Right on. In a sense I have been doing that. An old college roomie of mine works in ad and marketing in NYC. He is a type wizard, and I am just starting to get a handle on it. I took a typography coarse in school, but had an awful professor, so I didn't learn much.

Comment

I have to say, quite a few if not most of the illustrative artists we work with are with agencies. Not so much that it's important to have an agent. But more in the sense that someone else is maintaining their online presence and they have more time to spend on their art. Or in this case, the work they are doing for me.

Comment

I really like the stuff in your fine art portfolio. Very well done.

Comment

@ tZ thank you

@ Print Driver, thank you for the recommendation. I haven't really worked with an agency yet. I have had some partial representation through an interior design company in my home town, as well as a local gallery. It's been a good learning experience, but I would imagine illustration reps work a little differently. I have been working some pretty cruddy low paying jobs the last few years while working on the art, and that makes focus pretty difficult. I'v certainly had some success, but anything that brings more work in is a huge plus!

Comment

Interesting work Jason. You should try separating images into different pages instead of putting a lot on just one page so its easier to take in.
                        www.AdanMGarcia.com

Comment

I really hate to be a naysayer, but landing good-paying work as an illustrator is very tough. For that matter, I can't think of a tougher field to break into.

Over the past ten years, cheap photography has pretty much reduced the whole field of illustration down to a small shadow of what it once was (and in the meantime decimated the field of photography as well). It's economically difficult to justify spending $1,000 on the less-than-certain outcome of commissioning an illustration when $50 will give you your choice of 10,000 stock photographs.

Yeah, there are instances where only custom illustrations will do, and it's not difficult to notice those instances around us. But really for every illustration that you see in a magazine, on a wine label or on a book cover, there are likely 200 good illustrators who didn't get the work.

Also consider that illustration is very, very different from fine art, and the mental transition from one to the other is more difficult than it might seem.

Comment

nothing I haven't heard or figured out on my own. I let myself get down from neysaying like that for a long time, no more. obviously a lot of what you say is certainly true, but you can hear people say no only so many times.

A few years ago I visited with the head of the illustration department at SVA. He has designed his entire graduate program based on the idea that as an illustrator you have to be a proactive and innovative thinker and kinda engineer your own career. Thats what I am trying to do, mainly mix graphic design and illustration with different approaches, to carve a different kind of niche out.

Comment

I started out as an editorial illustrator way back when, plus kids books, and did an occasional design. This was pre-computer, so everything was different. It pretty much flip flopped, I get an occasional illustration job now, which is a treat, and do lots of design. I wouldn't count on making a decent living with only illustration, maybe pick up something that covers you in the sparse times.
                              Good luck!!!

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X