Pencil Work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pencil Work

I've always had the idea in my head that I can't draw. I sketch. So I have been meaning to work a bit on my drawing skills. Just seeing what I could do. I haven't done anything other than sketch for a long time. So while watching the olympics this year I would hit pause on my DVR and draw.

This is the first page I did. Real size is 8.5' wide. They all used photo references. Some are exact and some I grabbed bits and peices to assemble the image I wanted.

This is the second sheet. Some are just sketches really. Again many of these used photo references with a bit of artistic license. Real size is about 8.5" wide.

This image is made up of two sheets combined. Real width is again about 8.5". I wanted to increase the size of the images I was drawing. The birds and the ocean I used photo refs for. The rest I just drew.

Almost all the images were drawn with mechanical pencil .5mm with HB lead. The only drawing I used something else on was the ocean scene. I added the use of a 2mm lead holder 3H lead. The paper was generic laser printer paper. The photo's refs are my own, or from morguefile, or sxc.hu.

I must say i'm really enjoying this exploration. My one college drawing class was never this fun. And my results so far are rather surprising. At least to me.

Anyone else exploring their drawing skills?
    Creativity is allowing oneself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. -- Scott Adams

Very nice ... I love the lighthouses

Comment

Very nice derfs! How fun and cool!
      Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

I don't remember seeing those images on the Olympic coverage.

very nice. good use of time and getting into sketching.
        Dribbble Page
        Behance Portfolio
        Linkedin Profile

Comment

Thanks kittie and pan!
          Creativity is allowing oneself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. -- Scott Adams

Comment

Lovely, who ever said you can't draw? Those are wonderful.
            “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Comment

BJ: They weren't actually on TV. Although I did consider doing that. I would pause my recording and go sit in front of my computer. Although the first couple with the tulips are from a photo I have and I used a clipboard to hold my paper.

Brie: Thanks! I don't think anyone said I couldn't draw. I think it's something I've had in my head. Comparing myself to other classmates in school and afterword colleagues who so effortlessly, without using any references, draw amazing things.

Comment

very nice, I'm glad you shared them!
                "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

nice sketches! about how much time did you spend on each?

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

Nice sketches, thanks for sharing! Seeing them all together, I immediately thought they would make a nice deck of playing cards!
                    You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

Comment

Typically: Thanks! I didn't keep track but I think the more detailed of the smaller ones 15-20 minutes maybe. Sometimes I would stop to look for a another ref image. tree's, rocks, coral etc. So I'd get sidetracked. No idea on the bigger ones.

Cornfed: Thank You! I hadn't really thought of them that way but the vertical ones do kind of remind me of cards. Which is kinda funny since I have been doing a card project off and on for years now. Started on a forum which is no more. It was a deck of cards created by the members of the forum. It kinda started me off. So I'm almost half way. Yeah I'm slow. I'll do one and leave it for a while. I have a ton of sketches and ideas. I could probably create dozens of decks if I chose just one design for all the cards in a deck. If you want to look at what I've completed so far: the Diamonds and the Clubs

Comment

Nice Derfs! I can see the progression in your drawings, they get better and better - congrats!

Comment

cool beans, makes me wanna grab my sketch pad!

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

I'm always working on my drawing skills.

Comment

Nice work!
                              Next step is to work without the heavy outlines. Learn to "See" how lighter shapes interact with darker shapes and work from darker to lighter in both directions (not sure that makes sense). You'll see a noticeable next stage in your work. Keep it up.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X