Making Pigment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Pigment

Has anyone ever made their own paint pigment from rocks? I'm looking for some tips cause I've never done it.

I got a chunk of lapis lazuli (about 1"x1") for Christmas for the sole purpose of being able to grind it down to pigment and get that rich blue only found in lapis. I've always wanted to do this but never got past the dream of having a chunk of lapis. Now that I have a little chunk, I'm not really sure where to start. Also not sure what I'm going to paint with it, but I'd like to grind the other colors too so the whole thing will be homemade pigments.

Anyone ever done this? If so, I'd welcome tips!
    You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

I have a friend who does a lot of this stuff (how do I know these people?) so I texted her to ask. She suggested this site:

http://academic.emporia.edu/abersusa...om/pigment.htm

Don't know how good that info is, but she does a lot of it so I trust her.
    http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Thanks! Now you'll have two friends that do this stuff! That looks like some good information, that I didn't know, that I'll be pouring over! My little chunk looks to be pretty nice so I'm hoping to extract a good bit from it. I have no idea how much pigment to expect. I had only found references to mixing it with a thick linseed oil so I'm glad that site has the binding agents section.
      You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

Comment

I know how you do it! A very powerful coffee grinder!

Comment

Magic bullet maybe?! I abused my first one so badly that I had to get another one! Not going there again!

I'm going to try other rocks before tackling my lapis.

Comment

Daniel Smith makes paint from lapis, also a few other minerals... if you want to take the easy way out.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• seamas
              Comment on Poster for a school project
              seamas
              I dunno, I think it is worse when the dead headliners DO show up.

Not very sexy imho
              Yesterday, 05:18 PM
            • PrintDriver
              Comment on Looking for the graphic designer of a certain graphic
              PrintDriver
              I'm a creature of necessity. A lot of times the end client will want an actual signed release and a real photo credit, so you have to attempt to find the artist.
              Love doing image research for projects....
              Yesterday, 05:10 PM
            • PrintDriver
              Reply to Work from UK for an US company
              PrintDriver
              All I can suggest is consult a tax expert in the UK. If your company doesn't mind you moonlighting like this, maybe they could suggest someone for you.
              Income is Income and the Gov always seems...
              Yesterday, 05:05 PM
            • PrintDriver
              Comment on Work from UK for an US company
              PrintDriver
              I do business with people in the UK a lot. Because the gig they hire us for is going to be in the US, they time shift their design staff so they are available during US Eastern Time. It's the only way...
              Yesterday, 05:02 PM
            • PrintDriver
              Comment on Poster for a school project
              PrintDriver
              Especially if the headliners aren't going to show up...
              Yesterday, 04:55 PM
            GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X