Painted Portrait

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painted Portrait

This is the first digital portrait I've ever done. I've only used a mouse (no tablet). And it's entirely done in Photoshop with over 300 layers. And it's been at least 10 years since I painted a portrait traditionally on canvas.

I'm happy with it.

The "resolution" this year is that every day for at least an hour spend time creating for me. Not commercial, not focused on selling, just what is it that I want to do. This is the first project, started New Years Day.

About 20 hours total from doing the raw sketch to now. (some monitors show the skin orange instead of copper - it prints nicely though!)

And from start to finished.

Very nice work, Drazan! Did you make her up or is it someone you know?
    “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks!

This is no one I know! Not from a photo either.

Comment

Very nice Drazan

Love the eyes!

Comment

Looks good! Especially with a mouse. I cannot draw with mice. Good luck with the resolution, it's a good one.

Not sure if you're looking for a critique, but the only thing that really stands out with me is the teeth. I think maybe it needs a little more dark shadow between lips and teeth? Otherwise the teeth seem too close to the front of the mouth, making it look like she has an overbite or underbite. I think also showing just a bit of the bottom of the teeth would help. Right now you can see only teeth, but if her mouth was kinda open like that you'd probably see into her mouth, unless she has really long teeth!

lol, sorry for unsolicited critique! Great job!
          The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Good Job! The ones without the mouth and eye detail's are pretty creepy.
            "I used to wonder what friendship could be, Until you all shared its magic with me." - Jesus Christ

Comment

Originally posted by Drazan View Post
              Thanks!

This is no one I know! Not from a photo either.
              so... straight out of the ole noggin? or some random you were pretending not to stare at the coffee shop/outside your window?

The only thing I really see is that her right eye seems like it was created as an individual component rather than an integral part of the face. Was that your starting point? Executed quite nicely, nonetheless.
              Design is not decoration.

Comment

Wow! That's freakin awesome!
                I feel like a city kid who has stumbled into a town

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian86 View Post
                  Good Job! The ones without the mouth and eye detail's are pretty creepy.
                  agreed!!

very cool, and impressive with only a mouse!

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

My personal Achilles heal is getting the eyes to not be lopsided. Still on the fence for tweaking her eyes more. I usually start a sketch with the traditional oval and crosshairs for eyes, nose and mouth. Once I get the outline, I trace to another sheet to do details. This can be 3-4 sheets of paper before I get the proportions right and start shading. Even then this one sketch was shaded twice. It's not easy for me to sketch from scratch. As you see the progression of the painting is also the progression of how I sketch.

Comment

Wow! Nice!!
                      Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Very well done. I have "resolved" to do the same type of thing this year. Anything to get out of the work/home rut I've gotten in to.
                        "Go ahead, make your logos in PS. We charge extra money to redraw your logo into vector art so it can be printed on promotional product. Cha CHING! " - CCericola

Comment

That's quite good for not referencing a model or photograph.
                          Design is not decoration.

Comment

Nice job, Drazan!
                            You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

Comment

Thank you everyone! Over the past couple years, I was doubting whether or not I could even do this anymore. You're response really encourages me.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X