No announcement yet.

Focus and Direction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You need to first learn to draw what you see. It takes a bit of practice to see how different parts interrelate.
    If you are having trouble with basics, start with the book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. Work all the way through it, don't skip anything even if it feels stupid. Then I'd really suggest the Marvel book because it tells you how to sketch using simple maquette shapes that you then fill over.
    After lots of practice at drawing what you see, then you start practicing on drawing from memory. You start with the wireframe getting the spatial relationships right, and work out from there.

Comment

One exercise we had to do to was to draw from a photograph but the photograph was rotated upside down. This is especially challenging if you are drawing a portrait. We often draw faces from memory rather than drawing what we see. When you draw from something upside down, you are forced look. It's usually a surprise when you turn your drawing upside down at the end.
      It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

The upside down drawing is one of the lessons in that book. Somewhere around the 3rd or 4th chapter.

Comment

Originally posted by firiath View Post
          One thing I would suggest you try is the Shrimp Method - it starts off using tracing and referencing, but shows you how to get past that. It's basically how you should approach something you're not good at drawing and using tracing and references in order to fully understand the shape. With that understanding of the form of the object, you can translate that into recreating it in your mind and putting that down on paper.
          Holy crap! I'll be researching this method for sure... that is awesome! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
            You need to first learn to draw what you see. It takes a bit of practice to see how different parts interrelate.
            If you are having trouble with basics, start with the book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. Work all the way through it, don't skip anything even if it feels stupid. Then I'd really suggest the Marvel book because it tells you how to sketch using simple maquette shapes that you then fill over.
            After lots of practice at drawing what you see, then you start practicing on drawing from memory. You start with the wireframe getting the spatial relationships right, and work out from there.
            This is truth. My problem is I get caught up. I think my drawing doesn't look 'realistic' enough so I get out a reference, then when I am done it feels like I cheated so I throw it away. It's like this annoying circle. But I will look into the 'Drawing on the right side of the brain' book. I feel fairly comfortable with most drawing objects (buildings, cars, clothes, etc.) but people just throw me. And when I try to draw a non-human? Even tho this thing is in my mind and my mind alone, I get caught up in how 'unrealistic' it looks.

A really big part of my growth right now is in accepting my drawings. I don't care if I think they look like crap. I don't rip the sheet out of my sketchbook, I leave it... and maybe even draw more on that page. It's all about accepting it and moving on to the next piece of artwork.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

Comment

Originally posted by Buda View Post
              One exercise we had to do to was to draw from a photograph but the photograph was rotated upside down. This is especially challenging if you are drawing a portrait. We often draw faces from memory rather than drawing what we see. When you draw from something upside down, you are forced look. It's usually a surprise when you turn your drawing upside down at the end.
              That sounds amazing.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PrintDriver
                Reply to Portfolio usage of work
                PrintDriver
                Why would you have someone else's work on your portfolio site?
                Why would you not honor a takedown notice?
                Doesn't matter if you don't claim copyright, or even if you credit the work appropriately....
                Today, 07:50 PM
              • John G
                Reply to What do you think about my new web site?
                John G
                I'd recommend colored borders. love it that you can scroll down and I think "get all the information". Unfortunately, it's in a foreign language none of anything seems to whittle anythng down,...
                Today, 07:28 PM
              • MikeTyler
                Reply to Help with bitmap to vector conversion
                MikeTyler
                The fact that this will be a paint mask and really just needs clean shapes with no regard for color palette I'd assume would be an easier task than taking a full color JPG image and performing the same...
                Today, 06:31 PM
              • John G
                Reply to visually pleasing web design
                John G
                Remember all the things that made it easy to find whatever it was you were looking for on a site? Don't forget about it when you make your designs. The designs come second. Content first.

Today, 06:26 PM
              • Thug-D
                Comment on What should I do? Problem figuring out what would be more economical to spend on?
                Thug-D
                I'm 17. I do not think my passion is going to change because to be honest since the time I was a kid I found computer graphics pretty dope. It's just that last year I got involved in it. At first I thought...
                Today, 05:58 PM
              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
              Working...
              X