Creative Block - Type for branding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creative Block - Type for branding

Arrgh! Having a creative block on this one!

I'm working with a company (commercial A/V integrator) that just merged and changed it's brand. -see logo below- Their new logo was designed in-house, and while they are willing to tweak it a bit, they are not willing consider alternatives.

The typefaces used in the company name and tagline(??) are Century Gothic and Myriad Pro Light. I feel like neither of these are stand up to the logo. Century Gothic is too feminine, and just seems wrong considering that they are trying to convey high-tech, dependability, and wisdom. I'm stuck with what fonts to replace them with. I've tried a fistfull of different fonts, but none seem to be the right fit. I think part of my issue is that I am not really a fan of the logo, and this is tainting my ability to work objectively on this.

ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Click image for larger version

Name:	AVE-01B_JPEG_md.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	19459

Hi and welcome to GDF.

We ask every new member to read the threads posted HERE, particularly this thread to get acquainted with how things work on GDF. They will explain how the forum runs, the rules, frequently discussed topics and our inside jokes. Your first few posts must be approved by a moderator, so don't panic if they don't show up right away.

Threads in this forum always rank very highly in various search engines. That means that anything that you post here can come up in a Google search. If you register using your real name or if you post your (full name, company name, client's company name) and then go on a full-blown rant or otherwise do something to embarrass yourself, there's a good chance that your boss, your client, your significant other, or whoever else you DON'T want seeing it will stumble across it at some point.

It is against forum policy to delete threads after they have replies, so do not ask us to delete that logo you weren't supposed to post, that rant against your boss or client, or any other inappropriate post because we can not, and will not do it.

As stated in our Acceptable Use Policy, by using this forum, you authorize WebMediaBrands to continue to display your contributions to the site. We can not and will not delete your account or your posts, and we also can not change your user name

*modhat off, designer hat on*

If you want to convey more tech, try some more square sans serif fonts. I really don't like the tight kerning of the current logo though, it's way too crammed.

It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

So did they ask you to adjust their logo or not? If not, you'll just have to live with it. If they have, then it's your job as the designer to understand what typeface to use to communicate something. That's what you're getting paid for!

Comment

If they're only open to tweaking the logo, I'd at least suggest making the spaces between the letters the same as the spaces between the cross bars on the E. This would pull apart the overly tight kerning, as Buda suggested, and make the negative spaces more uniform. I might also trim back that E a little -- it seems a bit too wide. It's still not an especially good logo, but a tweak or two might help. I'm not too hot on the garish RGB, but given that it's an audio visual company, I can at least understand the reasoning behind it, even if I don't agree with the choices.

As for the type, I don't agree that Myriad is too "feminine." Myriad might be friendly, approachable and overused, but it's neither feminine nor masculine. For that matter, Myriad just might help take the edge off the awkward, stiff and geometrical look of the logo.

I also see no reason to use both Myriad or Century Gothic when just one of them could work just fine. For that matter, I see no reason to use two similar typefaces of any kind in such close proximity To me, the Century Gothic name of the company is the element that works best in the entire composition, and I'd be unlikely to change it. The Myriad line beneath is too cramped and kerned way too tightly. If it were me, I'd get rid of the Turn Key buzzwords and use the extra space to better adjust the letter spacing and, perhaps, make the size of the words in the line just a bit bigger.

Comment

If everybody only open to tweaking the logo, I'd at least advise making the spaces between the letters the same as the spaces between the cross bars on the E. This would pull separate the overly tight kerning, as Buda recommended, and make the negative spaces more uniform. I might also trim back that E a tiny -- it seems a bit too wide. It's still not an especially good logo, but a tweak or two sway help. I'm not too hot on the decoration RGB, but given that it's an audio-visual company, I can at least understand the thought behind it, even if I don't agree with the choices.
          So did they ask you to adjust their logo or not? If not, you'll just have to live with it. If they have, then it's your job as the designer to understand what typeface to use to communicate something. That's what you're getting paid for!

Comment

The original poster hasn't been back since a day after they posted this, nearly a year ago.

Hi HArrisd and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
            Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

If I was given the task of tweaking or updating this logo and bringing it into 2017, this is what I would do or at least experiment with doing:

- I would remove or at least experiment with removing the round green I/O symbol.
              In my view it is adding to the already considerable visual clutter of this logo. I think it just gets in the way of the logo doing its job.

- I would sort out the spacing issues in the blue ‘E’.
              The kerning space the green ‘V’ and the blue ‘E’ is slightly larger than between A and V. It's subtle but noticeable.

- the spacing of the horizontal white bars of the E are not identical. I’d experiment with making them the same as the kerning space between the A and the V

- Wordspacing issue: the optical space between the 'O' of audio is much greater than the space between the 'L' of visual and the 'E' of environment

- I’d also suggest totally removing the massive and I think completely unnecessary tagline ’TKCGEMSC&C”.
              Besides which, when the logo is used at typical logo size (e.g. 20mm or 25mm wide) this tagline text is completely illegible.

Instead of burdening this logo with attempting to state the company’s entire reason for existing in a minuscule, tightly tracked tagline, I would suggest to the company that by all means use it – but use that kind of info elsewhere in the company’s printed brand collateral / website.
              In my opinion it’s not the role of a logo.

- Remove the black rule under Audio Vis Env

- experiment with a new typeface for Audio Vis Env

- I would experiment with rationallizing the number of colours in the logo, maybe aim for 2 or 3 colours only
              Last edited by Pavlo; 01-25-2017, 03:59 AM.

Comment

This post is just about 1 year old.
                Likely the OP is done, or fired, by now.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                  This post is just about 1 year old.
                  Likely the OP is done, or fired, by now.
                  I didn't notice that, I thought it was a new post.
                  cheers

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PrintDriver
                    Comment on QuarkXPress 2017 introduced
                    PrintDriver
                    Hi wcali, nice rant. A lot of the software companies are forgetting their main purpose in life.
                    The Output.
                    As a printer, I have been going round and round with Adobe over features they have...
                    Today, 08:46 AM
                  • Peter3v
                    Reply to Logo Design - Font to match and go alongside chosen logo
                    Peter3v
                    Hey B - If interested people would like to message me on earth2pete@hotmail.com that would be great. Thank you
                    Today, 06:52 AM
                  • Breanne.C
                    Reply to Helloooooo!
                    Breanne.C
                    Actually, I do have a print related issue if you'd like to take a stab at helping me with. Should I post in the correct category with the issue and picture that goes with it?
                    Yesterday, 10:29 PM
                  • Breanne.C
                    Reply to Font ID Please
                    Breanne.C
                    Oh yeah.

Catorze27 Style 1 Bold best matched it, for the exception of the M, which I easily was able to fix....
                    Yesterday, 10:14 PM
                  • wcali
                    Reply to QuarkXPress 2017 introduced
                    wcali
                    Hello Fellow Graphic Design Friends,

Wanted to post here on a older post. I use CS5.5 and when I heard Quark was half prices it brought me back to a time when all I used was Quark, think...
                    Yesterday, 08:28 PM
                  GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                  Working...
                  X