Trying to learn typography

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to learn typography

I am reading the book exploring typography in order to learn it.

I had a mission to take an ad with poor readability and improve it.

The ad on the left is the before and on the right is the after.

Please tell me what do you think. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

Hi Simple and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Your version is vastly more readable.

Readability is almost always the first thing to consider when using type, but it's only the first of many considerations. For example, when choosing a typeface it's important to consider how its personality contributes to or detracts from the personality of the design and the personality of the company the design represents.

The ad you created is largely devoid of personality. It's very readable, but it's generic and says nothing beyond what's written. The slab serif face you used for the headline (you misspelled landscaping, by the way), has lots of personality, but that personality appears nowhere else in the ad.

The look of the first ad suggests a company with no taste. Hire them and they'll make a total mess of your yard. The ad's personality makes them look unfit for the job since it implies they can't be trusted to make good landscaping decisions.

Your efficient, clean and readable ad suggests a company that might very well be competent at removing snow and winterizing sprinkler systems. Still, its blandness and sterility suggests a company more comfortable with large expanses of poured concrete than it is with trees, bushes, flowers and healthy vegetation.

Comment

More readable but, as B said, there's other things to consider, including spelling.
        People will believe anything, which means I will believe anythingI want to start believing in things that have shapeliness and harmony.
        -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by B View Post

The look of the first ad suggests a company with no taste. Hire them and they'll make a total mess of your yard.
          LOL

So by your review i understand that i should use more garden colors with flourish and decorative font? Since the book
          i am reading is for beginers like me and i didn't learn yet the right way to use colors and branding i focused only on the mission
          of this task to make the text more readable.

Thanks for your feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Simple UX Apps View Post
            So by your review i understand that i should use more garden colors with flourish and decorative font?
            First, you definitely made the type more readable, so good job with that.

Second, yes, colors and typefaces suggestive of gardens could work. The typeface doesn't need to be decorative or take too literally the whole garden, vegetation motif. It might even be a neutral-looking typeface that takes on the character of it's surroundings. Of course, then you're moving beyond typography to the interplay of type with whatever other graphics and photos might be used in the ad.

Comment

Thanks again

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
              Working...
              X