Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying a font from 1958-62

​Hello all,
    I'm new to this forum, but excited to see the discussions taking place here and look forward to learning with everyone.

I have an opening query that I've done a lot of work to solve but with no luck thus far: I'm looking for the font which was used in the sign for this London coffee house. It was open between 1958-62 and the designer may well be Desmond Jeffery as he did other work for the establishment. One of the images makes the typeface look a little chunkier than it was...

Any help with this would be very much appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sign copy.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	20150

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-07-09 at 23.32.21.png
Views:	1
Size:	367.1 KB
ID:	20151

Hi Derrider and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Akzidenz-Grotesk BQ Medium (?)

Not 100% sure.

Comment

Thanks for the info, KitchWitch.

Regarding the typeface: I had also thought it was an Akzidenz-Grotesk but the 'a' still looks wrong and isn't the type in the image what would be called 'geometric' (in non-technical speak: that its line is consistent in width throughout)? I realise the type may have been tweaked for the sign (losing the tittle of the 'i', for example), but there are still quite a few other things that don't seem to make it an Akzidenz-Grotesk... or am I wrong here?

Comment

Could try posting your query to my fellow Typophiles:

https://twitter.com/typophile

Comment

Unfortunately I'm not on Twitter...

Comment

Anyone else have any ideas?

Comment

AG Old Face Medium

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                Working...
                X