Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serif and Sans serif fonts

Hi.
    I have a question. i want to know how to use serif and sans serif fonts. and if there is an academic rule about how to use serif and sans serif.
    thank you

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	21319

Portfolio: https://www.behance.net/MohamedMellouky

There really are no rules about which to use. It's largely a matter of which seems to work best for the task at hand. Some people claim that serif typefaces are easier to read in long blocks of text (most books are set in serif faces, for example), but I suspect this is simply a matter of what people become used to reading. Serif faces, in general, have a more classic look, while sans serif faces look more modern and corporate, but there are plenty of exceptions.

Comment

• MohamedMellouky
      MohamedMellouky commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I understand this, thank you a lot.

The academic rules I learned in class are:
    1. For print, sans-serif for headlines, serif for body copy.
    2. For screens, the opposite is true as the serifs can get muddled in the pixels and difficult to read.
    3. These rules can be broken as long as readability and legibility are not sacrificed.

Comment

This article explains some of the issues :

https://www.fonts.com/content/learni...-text-in-print
      Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Comment

The readability of sans-serif vs. serif type was a big chunk of my master's thesis way back when. Here's a link to an article that, more or less, comes to many of the same conclusions and cites many of the same studies as my thesis did 15 years earlier.

http://alexpoole.info/blog/which-are...rif-typefaces/

Originally posted by t.e.m.
        1. For print, sans-serif for headlines, serif for body copy....
        I wish university design instructors would do a little research on this kind of thing instead of simply voicing personal preferences as fact and repeating the unsubstantiated axioms they learned back when they were in school.
        Last edited by B; 07-31-2017, 09:22 PM.

Comment

• t.e.m.
          t.e.m. commented
          Editing a comment
          Good read. I suspect that a lot of what my professors tell me is based more on what someone told them and less on actual research. Also, to me it seems like typography is where graphic designers hold the most biases.

• B
          B commented
          Editing a comment
          I think you're right about biases, typography and designers.

In all fairness to your instructor, there are rules of thumb in design that can be beneficial in keeping students and beginners from making wrong-headed decisions. Sans-serif for headlines and serif type for body copy might be one of those basic guidelines that helps ensure an acceptable outcome. If you look around, though, you'll find a good many absolutely beautiful and functional instances where the designers completely violated that rule. I think it's just a matter of gaining enough experience to safely remove the training wheels.

Originally posted by t.e.m. View Post
        1. For print, sans-serif for headlines, serif for body copy.
        2. For screens, the opposite is true as the serifs can get muddled in the pixels and difficult to read.
        3. These rules can be broken as long as readability and legibility are not sacrificed.

Hi t.e.m. and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

I've written about it here. The rule is "tone" or "vibe", not legibility. There are quite a lot of factors that influence the latter.

http://learn.scannerlicker.net/2014/...d-type-design/

Comment

Hi Scannerlicker and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
            Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X