Font making

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Font making

Hi, I created a logo for a client and now the client wants the font. The problem is that I created the letters for this logo. It is not an actual font. I know that there are font maker softwares but I am very clueless about them. My question is: what is the best font maker program? Or font maker companies? Maybe I can send them the logo and have them create the font. Of course another solution would be to created the whole alphabet on a document so that the letters could be used as objects.

Unless you are able/willing to create an entire font based on the logo letters, I would tell the client you created custom lettering for their logo and there is no full font available.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

I should have placed this topic in Typography not in General. Thanks for responding

Comment

• B
        B commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll move it for you. No big deal.

By the way, until your name turns blue, all of your posts have to be approved by a moderator before showing up. There is no need to double and triple post. Thanks.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Itís a common misunderstanding nowadays that people think that everything with letters must be made with a font. Just explain to the client that itís custom design.
      If they still want a full font, maybe get in touch with type designers who could collaborate for this project.

Comment

As sort of a side project, I design typefaces and compile them into commercial fonts. It's a whole lot of work that, when done right, takes months and requires designing, drawing, kerning and hinting hundred of glyphs. On the other hand, you can kick out a sloppy font in a day or two if all you want to do is draw the glyphs, scan them in, autotrace them and let it go at that. And, of course, there's every degree of quality and time between these two extremes.

As for font creation software, I use FontLab Studio, but I'm guessing you don't want to spend several hundred dollars. FontForge is free, open source software that, actually, does a pretty good job considering the price. Glyphs is also good font development software for a price between FontLab and FontForge. There's also Fontographer and RoboFont.

The really big downside to any of these, though, is the steep learning curve. And the more you get into it, the more detailed and complex it all becomes. So with that being the case, expanding a few custom letters from a logo into a typeface could easily turn into a much bigger project than the logo design itself. Is your client willing to pay for all that? If not, you probably ought to just tell the client there is no font and the letters were custom drawn just for the logo.

Comment

I'll echo what most have said. Tell them it was custom drawn, and there is no existing font, however if they would like you to create a font based on the lettering (if you're up for it) that it will be an additional job and an additional cost to the client.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Thug-D
            Comment on What should I do? Problem figuring out what would be more economical to spend on?
            Thug-D
            I'm 17. I do not think my passion is going to change because to be honest since the time I was a kid I found computer graphics pretty dope. It's just that last year I got involved in it. At first I thought...
            Today, 05:58 PM
          • mirab
            visually pleasing web design
            mirab
            Hello Every buddy
            What is the best way to learn visually pleasing web design?

Thanks!
            Today, 05:36 PM
          • Glitchin
            Reply to Logo Feedback
            Glitchin
            These all seem quite generic looking to me, but a lot of people do want these generic looking logos. For me the top one is the best of the lot.

I would adjust the tracking to increase space...
            Today, 03:37 PM
          • Glitchin
            Comment on Critique Please?
            Glitchin
            Thanks Jessa!
            Today, 03:15 PM
          • Glitchin
            Reply to Critique Please?
            Glitchin
            Hey PD,

A political lobbying group. I don't expect them to actually use megaphones and be out on the street chanting. The megaphone is just meant to be symbolic of making noise, and raising...
            Today, 03:14 PM
          GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
          Working...
          X