• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Font identification tools

www.whatthefont.com

www.identifont.com

http://www.whatfontis.com/
    Last edited by morea; 08-04-2010, 05:48 PM.
    "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Remember that Identifont is also great for finding font substitutes. Know the font you want but don't have it on your computer? Plug the name of that font into Identifont and see if you have any of the similar fonts before buying a font.
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Also, whatthefont does best with characters that are not touching each other in any way.

If that fails, sometimes the forum there is a good resource for identifying a font.
      "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Whatthefont willl also confirm that it does or doesn't recognize individual characters

Comment

I think the two tools mentioned can be useful, but at times their results can be laughably far from the mark. They are particularly poor at scripts.

WhatTheFont is limited to principally the collection of fonts sold at MyFonts.com, which is of course large, but not as comprehensive as it sounds, since there are often multiple versions of the same families.

I have found that Identifont will ask you good questions about the attributes of your mystery font, and then apparently ignore some of your answers (based on what it shows for results).

I am a great believer that indivduals are better at identification than software, so I will recommend two forums: The Type ID Board and the WhatTheFont forum at MyFonts. I am a participant who helps out at the Type ID Board, and I have been there for several years. I can tell you that rarely does a posted font go unidentified for more than an hour. Usually the font is identified in a few minutes.

Comment

Good to know Bowfinpw. Thanks for the link.

Comment

If someone was smart they would create a font identifier that is a cross between whatthefont and identifont, embed it into a font management program and include links to all of the type foundries for purchase. GOLDMINE!
              Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
              http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Go for it, MD!

Comment

I have enough trouble coding a website and flunked BASIC in high school. I am not the right candidate to pull this off
                  Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
                  http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

It's a brilliant idea, though.

Comment

MD that is a brilliant idea. I wish you could whip something up for us

Comment

Originally posted by Bowfinpw
                        I think the two tools mentioned can be useful, but at times their results can be laughably far from the mark. They are particularly poor at scripts.
                        Wow, I was just supringly impressed with whatthefont! I received a poor quality scan of a business card a customer needs recreated. Attached is the only 3 characters that was usable for identification of the font used in the company's name, the rest is obscured over a picture.

See the attached image I uploaded to whatthefont, and a click away was my answer.

Steccato 555 BT was the font I was looking for (yes it is down right ugly, but if it keeps the customer happy I was able to recreate it, great!)
                        Attached Files
                        GNP @ work

Comment

Good to know these tools. Thanks!

---------------
                          Clipping, Photomasking and Removing Backgrounds

Comment

i always try and just try and use a font explorer book sometimes much more useless, currently making a site to help people identify fonts.
                            Last edited by urstwile; 05-27-2009, 08:49 PM.

Comment

ieattype, I removed your site link, as it doesn't appear to be active, so it didn't seem right to post it in this resource thread.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• mirrage
                                Prototyping or sketching app.
                                mirrage
                                Hello everyone!

I recently got an Ipad Air and I wanna use it occasionally for print
                                and/or web (i can leave without it too) prototyping.
                                What app would you suggest?
                                I don't...
                                Today, 04:18 AM
                              • HotButton
                                Reply to Illustrator Error Message
                                HotButton
                                Right, you don't HAVE to take it to Photoshop, but try it 20 times, then try direct export 20 times, and then decide for yourself which result is more worthy of your workflow....
                                Yesterday, 11:31 PM
                              • onabox
                                Comment on Seeking feedback for Signage/ Business Card assignment
                                onabox
                                Hi PrintDriver - i tried to get the designs to post as images (jpegs) but had no luck. I'll try again. Thanks for your time though.
                                Yesterday, 10:41 PM
                              • BillZ
                                Reply to Illustrator Error Message
                                BillZ
                                I think PNG is required in this instance because the file is interpreted literally by the software doing the direct to garment printing. Thus, if the artwork contains a white BG instead of a transparent...
                                Yesterday, 10:19 PM
                              • BillZ
                                Reply to adult colouring book Line Drawings
                                BillZ
                                The sample you posted is a doodle. I see those books all the time too, and I find it amazing that someone (many people) figured out how to turn a buck from their doodles. They're fun to draw...just get...
                                Yesterday, 10:05 PM
                              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X