Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Juniberry
    Reply to Wordpress theme and plugin help for print company.
    Juniberry
    I should also mention that a theme that supports the visual composer would be excellent....
    Today, 05:54 AM
  • Juniberry
    Wordpress theme and plugin help for print company.
    Juniberry
    Howdy-doody fellas and bellas, I'm just after some quick advice from those of you out there with plenty of experience choosing and working with WP themes.

Attached is a template/guide to...
    Today, 05:53 AM
  • arielr190
    Reply to Opinions on My Logo?
    arielr190
    the business is online. print-wise, the smallest it will ever get is a business card.
    Today, 03:53 AM
  • lowfatgraphics
    Reply to UX tips
    lowfatgraphics
    Hmm This isn't UX, it is UI... Its common to get the two mixed up but having worked in UX and now UI, there is a pretty big difference.

Now from a UI stand point, there isn't much here...aside...
    Today, 03:52 AM
  • lowfatgraphics
    Reply to Candy Shop Logo
    lowfatgraphics
    "S" is tough to read-- looks interesting. the glossy highlights seem to have multiple light sources tho...might want to double check.
    Today, 03:43 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comprehensive font packages

Has anyone purchased/used one of the large collections published by a major type foundry?

My company is considering buying such a package and licensing it for 20 Macs. We are leaning toward getting Adobe's Font Folio or the Linotype Gold Collection. Does anyone have experience with either of these two or others and could share their opinions?

I've never worked anywhere where they had huge collections like that. Does your company think that it will save them money in the long run, or are they just looking to have an extensive library?

To me it seems like a bit of overkill, but if they've got the bucks, well, that's probably a different story.
    "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Jesus, I wish I worked somewhere that wanted to actually purchase a font collection. I've had to beg and borrow for most of my fonts for the last 3 places I worked at. I don't have any experience with using a large collection, but I would have to say I would like to peruse the various fonts and know that they were something we would use on a regular basis with regard to price. There is a lot to be said for the foundry collections. I say if if your company has the budget to burn, BUY IT!
      “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Comment

At my work, we use the Adobe Opentype COllection (maybe the same thing you are reffering to) and it is nice to have a decent source of fonts, plus they are cross platform which is good. I really like the Adobe collection. I also like House Industries fonts but they too are a little price and not as versitile.

thumbs up in my book because all the fonts are good and it includes a nice book for reference
        Dribbble Page
        Behance Portfolio
        Linkedin Profile

Comment

At the place I used to work we had the Adobe Font Collection. Where I work now, we don't. I miss them.

Comment

It's a peculiar situation: because of budgeting and politics, it is easier for our department to buy one huge type library than it is to buy fonts on an ad hoc basis, even though that would probably save money...

Comment

Right. it can be easier to say we want this that will cover 90% of our needs and all will be on the same page as fara as fonts. whereas it can be harder to say now we need this font and next week this other one. Good luck with what you choose.
              Dribbble Page
              Behance Portfolio
              Linkedin Profile

Comment

WilliamL,

I guess the thing then is to factor what percentage of the fonts would be used from the collection. Also, you mentioned multiple licensing, it could be that you could get some type of multi-license deal with the collection.

If I had the option and needed to choose, I think I'd probably go with the Adobe OpenType collection. The advantage being that OpenType works on both platforms, which is a plus if it ever becomes an issue.
                "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Thanks!

I appreciate the good feedback to my question. It looks like we're going to go with the Adobe package.

Thanks again to all who replied.

Comment

I'm in the same boat as most of you, at my last job in a small format quick printer we had a huge collection, but we needed it. I have a collection, but it's the knock offs which are cheaper, but it's still not the same. I miss the library, but not the job.
                    Less be more.

Comment

After years of lusting for Font Folio it might be time to give in to temptation...

They have a 10-license version for half the price of the 20-license version. When you amortize it out over the long-term it makes a lot of sense, if nothing else than to not run into a deadline and need "that" font asap!

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                      Working...
                      X