X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movie poster font?

What font(s) are used on the bottom of movie posters?

http://www.dukesounds.com/pitchers/movie_poster.jpg

Did you try the font tools sticky?

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver
      Did you try the font tools sticky?
      Edited a movie poster picture and tried, seemed to work OK. Looking through a couple of fonts now. Thanks.

Comment

Try ****** Bold.

Comment

If you are referring to the very condensed type used to get all the credits at the bottom, it looks like Univers Ultra Condensed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowfinpw
            If you are referring to the very condensed type used to get all the credits at the bottom, it looks like Univers Ultra Condensed.
            Yes, that's the one. Wondering about purchasing the Frutigers Life 2 package.

Comment

It doesn't have to be Univers Ultra Condensed, there are quite a few ultra condensed typefaces out there. Helvetica has an ultra compressed as well, so does Franklin Gothic, I believe.
              "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

That's true. Most popular sans families have highly condensed versions. Akzidenz Grotesk has one that is often used. If you are trying to match a specific typeface, look at the G, M and R as quick keys. If there is a lower case, the a, e, g and y are keys I use.

There are also fonts like Huxley, Compacta, Malstock, Roswell, Iris and Empire that were designed as ultra compressed fonts. There are even some serif fonts, like Bordeaux, Heliotype, Modula Serif and Robotik. I think I have seen most of these used for movie credits over the years.

Comment

I was mainly wondering if there was a standard font used for movie credits. I think the Univers Ultra Condensed would do the job.

Comment

Fredrich, I don't think there's a standard, probably more just a style that's used more often than others over different periods of time. Some of the ones Bowfinpw mentioned would also work well. The key is the compressed look, not so much the particular font.
                    "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Also, the condensed font isn't so much about fashion/style, but about function!
                      It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Univers 39 Thin Ultra Condensed is a common choice, but as urstwile says, it's not cast in concrete. In case you weren't aware of it, the reason for these outrageously tall skinny fonts in this context is that when you look at them from below at a sharp angle, the foreshortening makes them more readable. That's also why so many poster fonts have those immensely thick slab serifs: viewed from street level and close up, they foreshorten into something that looks quite normal.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                        Working...
                        X