Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smallest readable font size?

Hi,
    I want to sign a flyer I'm making with my email address. At the moment I've got a Futura Light Condensed at 6pt, anyone know if this will be readable and how small you can go?

Depends on how crappy your eye site is.

I can read down to 3 pt type, my boss can BARELY read anything 6 pt.
    Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

I wouldn't do less than 6 pt...but if it's Futura Light Condensed, you may want to bump it to as much as 7.5 or so....

Comment

Is this a piece for a client? Personally, I wouldn't be putting my email address on a client's piece.

Comment

Minimum we will use is 6 pt. Optima, black on white only (no reversing out of a CMYK color, for ex.), one short line of text only. Any different specs and the minimum is 9pt. This is for stuff the general public will (try to) read.

for S&G I set your specs and printed, and black on white it's barely readable to me.
          This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
          "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

The minimum size would depend on the font, the weight, and the colors involved. Solid 100% K text on a white or light background is best. If you're using white text, it will likely fill in if the point size is too small, especially if the surrounding color is using more than one ink. If you're using a colored text that uses multiple inks, you run the risk of bad registration causing your text to look blurry.

blog/portfolio

Comment

10pt is as small as we go.
              Ditto on putting email addies on client pieces. Not cool.

Comment

If this is a paying client, "signing" the flyer with your email address is in VERY poor taste, unless you've both agreed to a steep discount in exchange for advertising on their collateral.

blog/portfolio

Comment

10pt PD, really, on what? 10pt seems pretty large, and my vision isn't even that great.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

We use 10 pt in all our legal disclaimers. "It's the law" according to our legal dept...
                    Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

Really? 10pt is huge!

We go down to 5pt for stuff that doesn't really need to be seen, but would be nice to include.

6pt for a condensed font should be fine as long as the colour is high contrast. Example: Black text on white background is ok for 6pt, but pink text on orange background a hell no!
                      It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Our legal lines are at 6.5 pt on our docs. We've never had our legal dept. say otherwise.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Legal lines required by law and a designer's personal email address are different things IMO. Most clients do not allow a designer's contact details to appear on their advertising.
                          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.
                            It's red text on a yellow background, so i'll go with 6pt.
                            And yes i agree that signing a piece of work shouldn't be done, but I'm doing it for people I know for a cheap price...

Comment

As long as you client is aware that their cheap design price includes advertising for your company.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X