This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typography resources.

I am creating my own type blog/magazine and am going to be posting this up soon. It is a list of resources I find helpful for typography. Do you think anything is missing or should be taken out? Am I misrepresenting anything? Suggestions are helpful, and hopefully this entry is helpful as well.

TYPE FOUNDRIES

P22 is an independent foundry specializing in historical letterforms that were previously unavailable in digital format.
    MyFonts is a distributor of digital fonts from many type foundries in one easy-to-use Web site. It also includes a useful type identifier, What the Font, that searches for fonts provided for purchase on the site (see type identification).
    FontShop is claimed to be the original independent font retailer. They produce the FontFont typeface library and have cutting edge fonts with some European influence.
    FontHaus offers useful content, easy font finding features, a huge selection of name-brand fonts, font compilations, and libraries. They have been offering fonts since 1990 and are a popular resource.
    Adobe has immensely influenced the evolution of digital type. They offer PostScript, Multiple Master and OpenType formats. Their collection is comprised of many graphic standard types.
    Linotype offers quality fonts and is well respected in the design community. They have existed for over a century and have adapted well to new technologies.

TOOLS

What the Font is a type identification tool where you can upload a file and it will do all the work for you. It is limited in that it only searches for fonts in the MyFonts foundries and results are not always on the dot.
    Identifont is another font identification site. This site comes in helpful if you are looking for a font that has certain qualities or is similar to a font you want to work with.
    Typetester is a useful site for comparing screen fonts.

Designer Plaything is an all in one typography testing tool. It allows designers and clients to experiment with different web typography and color combinations and can be used offline with a downloadable application.
    FontExplorer X is a free font management software created by Linotype available for Mac and Windows

NEWS

Typeradio is an online radio station airing interviews and the latest news in typography.

FORUMS

Typophile is a forum dedicated solely to typography. It is easy to get answers and opinions from experienced designers. It also serves as a news and type identification resource.
    Graphic Design Forum is a great forum for receiving feedback or getting information about typography mostly in the context of graphic design. The users are very friendly and eager to help.
    Adobe also has a user to user forum partially dedicated to typography.

BLOGS

I Love Typography is an inspiring, fresh, and interesting blog by John Boardley. Boardley is a graphic designer, web developer and writer with a passion for typography.
    Typographica is another well-known blog featuring news and commentary on fonts and typography.
    Last edited by Drazan; 07-08-2013, 05:18 PM. Reason: update links, remove dead links
    [insert clever signature here]

Lots of very good and useful links. Someone make this a sticky! Looking forward to your blog=) Allthough free fonts often suck due to bad kerning etc, maybe you could post some sites with freebies? IMO, a free font with some kerningwork and tweaking in Illy can become nice.

Good luck with the blog!

Comment

With your blog, try and post something, anything every day. Good luck with this venture. I look forward to it!
      It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Sounds like a very worthwhile project, I'm loving some of the links already.
        "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Originally posted by TeeJay!
          Someone make this a sticky!
          Done.

Comment

A note: FontExplorer X has pulled the windows beta.
            Former GD. Current Photographer
            http://ascottmccauley.com/

Comment

I really hope they bring it back, I did remember reading they'd pulled the beta a while back. I love using it on the Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeJay!
                Lots of very good and useful links. Someone make this a sticky! Looking forward to your blog=) Allthough free fonts often suck due to bad kerning etc, maybe you could post some sites with freebies? IMO, a free font with some kerningwork and tweaking in Illy can become nice.

Good luck with the blog!
                Does anyone have suggestions for good free font sites?

Comment

Originally posted by Quirk
                Does anyone have suggestions for good free font sites?
                There's always this collection to start with. Though I think some of them are now pay fonts so maybe you could take this list, cross check to see if any are no long free and add any new ones you think is relevant. Then you can make a completely new list of your findings. It could be your first blog article!
                It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I've been using http://www.dafont.com for some time. They have lots of font, some of them are very cool!
                  Also http://www.1001freefonts.com/ are the top search on Google for "free fonts".

Comment

Here's a script font identification site that surfaced in the Adobe U2U forums:

http://www.bowfinprintworks.com/ScriptIDGuide.html

Mike Yanega breaks script typefaces down into 14 categories. Please note that this site includes everything from formal script and Blackletter to childish lettering (think Lemonade) and distressed scripts. I'm just now having a look through, and he seems very thorough!
                    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

http://www.bowfinprintworks.com/FontSpotting.html

This page (scroll to the bottom) has a bunch of Font ID tools.
                      This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                      "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

thanks garricks!

Comment

My pleasure.

A word of wisdom from a past boss: "None of us is as smart as all of us." That's why I like hanging around here. The collective knowledge really adds up! (Not to the point of Borg, thank goodness!)

Comment

I enjoy collective knowledge too

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• B
                              Reply to Get Your Graphic Design License Here
                              B
                              Below are the jobs requiring a certification exam in New York. This list is fairly typical of most U.S. states. Notice that interior designers, barbers, outdoor guides, nail cosmetologists, body hair...
                              Today, 01:01 AM
                            • Isac
                              Comment on Hello from Western Australia!
                              Isac
                              Thanks KitchWitch. Good to be aboard. I'm a keen learner and have already picked up a few pointers.
                              Yesterday, 07:51 PM
                            • eyoungren
                              Reply to Get Your Graphic Design License Here
                              eyoungren
                              I will freely admit that within the graphic design industry, what I do is niche. I fell into it because my first job out of school was as an Ad Compositor for a newspaper.

As such, and especially...
                              Yesterday, 04:59 PM
                            • CobraStrike
                              Reply to Cranking them out
                              CobraStrike
                              I mean these are all just for fun. So judge them as you wish
                              Yesterday, 03:35 PM
                            • Craig B
                              Reply to Trying to determine how these graphics are created
                              Craig B
                              I'm assuming this is a site that makes custom badges, medallions, pins and what not generating these mockups. If that's the case, the "base" product is most likely already rendered in photoshop...
                              Yesterday, 03:33 PM
                            GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                            Working...
                            X