Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Judy Smith
    Comment on Political graphic artists?
    Judy Smith
    Well, now that I've finally posted the classified, I guess I can assume that once again it wasn't visible due to moderation... So - now I have to figure out how to subscribe to it to become eNotified...
    Today, 08:25 AM
  • Judy Smith
    Comment on Political graphic artists?
    Judy Smith
    Uh, I realize this is very belated, but I vaguely remember having tried to find this forum (knowing I left loose ends) - but failing to locate it. At this time I finally found it, after having first tried...
    Today, 07:13 AM
  • ThePreyMan PHS
    Reply to Custom social icons
    ThePreyMan PHS
    Justo to clarify, I didn't change the colors of the actual logos, per say, as in the 'F' of the facebook logo was never yellow. The logos were all black, which is fine, and the backgrounds to them were...
    Today, 06:36 AM
  • ThePreyMan PHS
    Reply to Custom social icons
    ThePreyMan PHS
    It still leaves me in uncertainty. What I had before, in the creation of this thread, seemed to me to be respectable to their branding. I can understand not having the Facebook logo turned into a gun...
    Today, 06:33 AM
  • ThePreyMan PHS
    Reply to Confidence, Growth, and a Mentor
    ThePreyMan PHS
    Great.
    Thanks for the bits of info, guys. Helps.
    Today, 06:23 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trajan: The Typeface for Movie Posters

Found this photoset on Flickr. Its almost 150 movie posters that use the same exact font, Trajan. http://www.flickr.com/groups/trajanfilmposter/

Its kind of amazing that its so over-used, yet, we don't complain much about it. I guess most designers are not working on film posters. FontShop came up with a list of alternatives to Trajan... which you can just happen to purchase on their site :P
    Broke or just cheap? Read my list of free open source alternatives to Adobe Creative Suite software.

It's a shame it's so overused, it is a very nice elegant, stately font (too bad there's no lowercase).

I find it funny that it's pretty much just the movie industry that's abusing it. It might as well be named Movie Poster Font.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Universities love to put their names in Trajan too.

Comment

i think they are doing it on purpose now. something like that doesn't go unnoticed for so long.

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

Oo, yes, universities are guilty too.

I've pretty much only used it for pieces that are supposed to evoke a 'movie' feel. One client was hosting some sort of real estate agent awards luncheon with a Hollywood theme, so I used Trajan on the posters & tickets. Not the most original concept, sure, but I was busy and they had a tight deadline. *shrug*

blog/portfolio

Comment

I've noticed it and complained but I'm a font geek.
            It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I think we all notice it.

but normally it is just titling that gets it...not a whole slew of words.
              Dribbble Page
              Behance Portfolio
              Linkedin Profile

Comment

Trajan's overuse doesn't bother me the way some of the other offenders do. It's distinctive to those of us that care to notice that kind of thing, but doesn't draw attention to itself like a FTSNBN, Papyrus or Zapfino. I'll admit, the first time I saw Zapfino I went "Oooh, I have to find an excuse to use this!" But even then a part of me knew that it was going to be the new Papyrus.

Even though it's overused, Trajan doesn't seem to suffer the same indignities of unnatural stretching and deformities inflicted on some of its lesser brethren.

I think its final saving gracing is this: Trajan isn't the go to font for every Joe Fontpack that wants to jazz something up.

Comment

Maybe the fact that it doesn't provide lowercase is what's saving it from complete and thorough overuse?

blog/portfolio

Comment

Is it really a bad thing that it's overused?

For me, font selection can become a time consuming task. And time can be a very important thing when you don't have any.

I've finally come to terms with the fact the end consumer and/or customer will probably never realize how often I, as a graphic designer, have used a specific typeface (or for that matter, if an entire industry has used and abused it). Recently I've been pulling from a font pool of about 12 that I like and know are designed well (Trajan being one of them). Sure, I may feel just as much of a whore as the font that is being using, but will showing off ones diversified font ability make the end result better? After all communication is essentially key, right? Not to lessen the importance of using a unique or specific font on a piece or brand when the time calls. But at the end of the day is it our personal satisfaction that matters or whether the font works well with the message and imagery aesthetically?
                    www.standercreative.com

Comment

LOL Trajan was our logofont from 1995-1999. That was before the movie industry glommed on to it. I thank my lucky stars every day that we changed it when we did!
                      This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                      "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Bah. I think the Romans overused it on all their buildings two thousand years ago. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Yossarian View Post
                          Trajan's overuse doesn't bother me the way some of the other offenders do. It's distinctive to those of us that care to notice that kind of thing, but doesn't draw attention to itself like a FTSNBN, Papyrus or Zapfino. I'll admit, the first time I saw Zapfino I went "Oooh, I have to find an excuse to use this!" But even then a part of me knew that it was going to be the new Papyrus.
                          I hate how Papyrus has been overused, it was on my wedding stationery. Actually it pretty much sponsored my wedding. Now everyone says 'Hey, wasn't that the same font as your wedding stuff?' *sigh* 'Yes.'

Originally posted by salsa View Post
                          Bah. I think the Romans overused it on all their buildings two thousand years ago. ;-)
                          Haha

Comment

Hubby and I watched Interview with the Vampire last night. Opening credits? Trajan.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Its funny that Helvetica got a movie before Trajan.
                              Broke or just cheap? Read my list of free open source alternatives to Adobe Creative Suite software.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X