Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• <b>
    Reply to My Life in Typefaces - Matthew Carter
    <b>
    I really didn't define what I meant by important. For that matter, I'll still leave it fuzzy since there's really no way to objectively measure such a thing.

As for Comic Sans, I'd say it's...
    Today, 06:01 AM
  • guiri
    Reply to Where can I find help with vehicle graphic design?
    guiri
    ISitude, thanks. You know, things would be soo much simpler if people just did what they're supposed to. ESPECIALLY if they have gotten paid. Oh well. Anyway, wraps are cool as hell and although I really...
    Today, 05:30 AM
  • ISitude
    Reply to My Life in Typefaces - Matthew Carter
    ISitude
    True that <b>. .. and Comic Sans is on most computers too ...sigh.

To me Zuzana's work is most notable because of the contribution to creating bitmap fonts from the most early days......
    Today, 03:46 AM
  • ISitude
    Reply to Where can I find help with vehicle graphic design?
    ISitude
    Sorry to read of your woes guiri, I agree with the comments above.

I'm currently doing a wrap design (my first one ever ) for tricked out minibus. Awesome canvas for me to be working with....
    Today, 03:24 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to EFI printers? Anyone have any experience?
    PrintDriver
    I've been using VUTEk printers since before they became part of EFI. They've always been top tier machines, though not necessarily the top of the top. I don't know this one personally and have never seen...
    Today, 02:02 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going crazy with restriction of embedding font in PDF

Hi All..

I spend alot of time shortlisting fonts for our new mag.. finally got a nice one for the use in headlines. To my horror.. this particular font do not allow embedding of the font in pdfs, the creator of the font is restricting this.. I checked with my printer, they mentioned it won't help even if they install the font as they need the font to be embedded in the pdf.

I spent the whole afternoon searching online and has explored a few options:

1. Outline the font (where it is used) before I send for print
    - this option seems best for me now, but is troublesome and prone to errors before print.

2. Flatten and outline the pdf using Acrobat Pro before I send for print
    - fonts become 'fatter' and the pdf is "divided into parts", which sort of make me feel uncomfortable..

3. Change another font...
    - really sad. because I really like that font.

I was thinking of contacting the creator of the font but his website is already down and the font was created like 10 years back.

Is there a way to work around this one?

Anyone who has a solution to this will be a savior as I am feeling so down since afternoon and will be back to my 'font hunting' again if this is not going to work out..

thanks...!

aiksing

Option 3 is the best choice - find another font.

If you must use the font the creating outlines as in Option 1 is preferred over Option 2.

If you do outline the font make sure you make a copy of the files before outlining.

As you will want an editable version at some stage perhaps.

It's a shame about the font not embedding. But there's very little you can do about it.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

The problem now though, with the outlined font, if they want a PDF for the web or something, the text won't be searchable, the file size will be large.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Is the font a postscript font?
        I've found that if you are missing the printer font portion of a postscript font you can't make a PDF. It won't tell you you are missing the outline but it will give you the font restriction error.

Comment

If it's a magazine can you send a packaged InDesign file or something (it will copy the font to the fonts folder instead of embedding it)?

I often outline text, but I'm only dealing with one "page" without too much text (packaging mostly). A whole magazine would make a huge file if all the text were outlined.

Hope you figure out a good solution.
          Keep firing @$$holes!

Comment

Interesting topic. Keep us updated.

BTW what font is it?

Comment

New font.
              Magazines are too complex to have the fonts not embed. It will be a headache that is not worth it for you.
              I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

Do you have access to the license agreement? Is it possible that this was a free-for-personal-use font and outlining/embedding is disabled to prevent commercial use?

blog/portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by Virgo Nightingale View Post
                  Do you have access to the license agreement? Is it possible that this was a free-for-personal-use font and outlining/embedding is disabled to prevent commercial use?
                  I wonder about this too.
                  It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Hi all thanks for your replies!

First of all, yes, i have gave it a good thought, I have decided to move on with other fonts, no point giving myself so much headaches for one font. Same thoughts here Eugene, I dun really understand the point of restricting embed since I could outline the font, or use it in photoshop etc. Anyway.. haha

License wise the txt file says the below,, which I thought should be ok for magazine use? (Though I am already giving it a miss)

"Feel free to use them in personal, non-money-making and fun stuff.
                    If you want to include them in a font-cd or such, be sure to
                    have my permission. Don't remake or rename the fonts.
                    If you want to post them on your page, that's cool as long as you
                    post the original zip file with all the files in it."

The font is "Supreme".

Something funny.. after all the headache last afternoon, I left office and came pass this poster which I passby everyday, and.. I saw the poster using the same font! hahaha. funny how i missed it everyday and saw it only yesterday.

Originally posted by Virgo Nightingale View Post

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                      Is the font a postscript font?
                      I've found that if you are missing the printer font portion of a postscript font you can't make a PDF. It won't tell you you are missing the outline but it will give you the font restriction error.
                      Hi, I am not good at these, but this font is a "ttf" font. Thanks!

Comment

non-money-making and fun stuff.
                        Does your magazine have ads? Do you sell subscriptions?
                        That would be money-making stuff.
                        Also, the way that license is written sounds like it was an amateur font. A large number of 'hey I made this cool font' have crummy outlines that postscript (and PDF) just doesn't like. Hence my constant warning to all designers that if you are gonna use a 'free' font in your $$$-pricey ad campaign, collateral, wayfinding, or exhibit, you should have it tested early on in a postcript rip. Last thing I wanna see is the chin quivers and tears when the thing doesn't print.

TTY is a single piece font, not a two-part postscript. My guess is crummy outlines.

Comment

If you use Illustrator's Create Outlines function, it should be a pixel-perfect reproduction of what the font looks like (since the type itself is just a collection of vector glyphs).

Also, you could use a sort of hackish solution for the online PDF (these directions are also for Illustrator, but it could be done in other editors as well):
                          1. Create a second art board and paste a copy of your type object into it.
                          2. Rasterize the type object that is in the temporary artboard.
                          3. Saving as PDF should create 2 pages, one with your regular layout and outlined text, the other with just a rasterized image of the text.
                          4. Create some guides around your outlined text.
                          5. OCR the page with only the rasterized image.
                          6. Use the TouchUp Object tool to select the hidden OCR text object (it should be overlayed on the rasterized image) and copy and paste it into the actual layout page.
                          7. Position the OCR text object over your outlined text using the guides as reference.
                          8. Delete the temporary page containing the rasterized text.
                          Alternately, you can duplicate the type object in Illustrator and set it to an embeddable/common font. Then outline the original text, place the duplicate over it, and then set the duplicate to transparent (either in Illustrator or Acrobat). However, the words/letters probably won't match up, meaning that you have to spend a lot of time editing the kerning and character widths to make them match up, and OCRing the text is usually faster.

The last option is to just OCR the rasterized image using ClearScan. This will create a custom font that is roughly similar to your original. However, the OCR/vectorizing process will cause the new vector type to have slightly rounded corners. But this is by far the easiest option.

Comment

^^ The problem with this workaround is that it would violate the EULA for the typeface. The OP said:

Originally posted by aiksing View Post
                            To my horror.. this particular font do not allow embedding of the font in pdfs, the creator of the font is restricting this.
                            Defeating the restriction is breaking the EULA.
                            This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                            "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Originally posted by garricks View Post
                              ^^ The problem with this workaround is that it would violate the EULA for the typeface. The OP said:

Defeating the restriction is breaking the EULA.
                              Well, I live in the U.S., and here it's actually not possible to copyright a font or typeface. What you're allowed to copyright are the font files themselves, which are subject to copyright laws similar to computer programs.

That's why in Illustrator and other programs, you can convert non-embeddable fonts into vector outlines. That's also why you can reproduce rasterized text using those same fonts without having to pay any extra licensing fees for each copy you distribute.

Outlining non-embeddable fonts is actually pretty standard practice in printing. The only difference here is that you add a hidden highlightable/searchable text object that either uses no specific font or uses an embeddable font.

The laws may be different in other jurisdictions, but these methods are 100% legal in the U.S.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X