X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to get better at drawing type freehand

I spent a couple hours playing around in my sketchbook tonight. I really want to get better at drawing type, and customizing type. This is a little freestyle piece i was playing with. I know its nothing special, but it's a start.

Last edited by Jriddim; 03-05-2012, 03:28 AM.
    Aspire to Inspire before you Expire

Looks like you are off to a good start

I love freehand lettering

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

I agree with Kittie, good start!

Study typefaces and old posters. Look at x-heights of different fonts and figure out why they work for that face. Copy, copy, copy. (for practice, that is)
      This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
      "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Go get a book that has a lot of type samples (This would be a good one), get some tracing paper, and trace all the letters. Then do it again.

Learn why typefaces and letterforms work, then try to improve or modify them.
        http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Thank Guys,

I appreciate your feedback/help. Just from messing around with this little experiment, I realized how little I know about type. I agree Cosmo, thats a great idea. Ill have to pick up some tracing paper ASAP. Thanks for the book suggestion, I will probably pick that up soon. I just ordered this the other day:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Ornamental...0617989&sr=8-2

Comment

Oooh, nice find Jriddim. That led me to this one with the great title: http://www.amazon.com/Hand-Job-Catal...l_mb_hu_m_3_dp
            This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
            "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Originally posted by garricks View Post
              Oooh, nice find Jriddim. That led me to this one with the great title: http://www.amazon.com/Hand-Job-Catal...l_mb_hu_m_3_dp
              Own it! I recommend it too... Definitely some pretty cool stuff in there, and a great title haha.

Comment

I like your enthusiasm. It's refreshing on a dreary Monday morning!

Comment

Kidnap this person and force her to teach you her skills: http://www.bantjes.com/about-me/bio-and-photo

Seriously, Ms. Bantjes' work is nothing short of inspiring if you're looking to someday master this stuff. Be sure to browse her blog.

Comment

Thanks garricks, glad to brighten your day

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                      Kidnap this person and force her to teach you her skills: http://www.bantjes.com/about-me/bio-and-photo

Seriously, Ms. Bantjes' work is nothing short of inspiring if you're looking to someday master this stuff. Be sure to browse her blog.

Hey Bob,

I've been trying to kidnap her for years! (I hear she lives in Canada) haha seriously though, She is nothing short of remarkable! I think her work subconsciously got me on this hand-drawn kick.

Comment

I like his/her avatar. Makes me miss my Spiro-graph.
                        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

I like it. I feel the same way. I often draw type freehand, but it doesn't mean I'm any good at it.
                          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I love free-handing type....I've been doing it for years, but still need more practice. I've never thought to trace letters tho...I've always just attempted to do it purely by eye (and feel, sometimes). You're off to a fantastic start. Keep it up!
                            Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
                            | Karl Marx |

A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.
                            | Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

I spent many hours as a kid tracing letters out of The Lettering Book. I think all New Zealand kids back then did.

It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X