Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indesign Text: Opacity or grey color?

Hi,

This is in Indesign CS5.5. I want to make my text greyish, on a white background. Do I reduce the opacity, or set the color of the text to be grey?
    Is there a difference in quality or file size?(it is for a print job)

Thanks in advance,

ps.Sorry if the question is stupid/obvious, I am a student & new to the software.

Reducing the opacity makes it a transparency - which can cause hiccups in some press.

Best to set it as a Tint of black rather than dropping the opacity.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

It should be noted there is a slight difference in quality, especial if the grey text is ultra thin. Your text will not be as crisp as it would be at 100% K because it will be made up of dots instead of solid colour. You could use a rich black but then miss-registration of colour can be an issue. If you are printing offset, I would suggest a pantone grey instead of using a transparency or tint.
      Design is not decoration.

Comment

Note that the way to set the text transparency separate from the text frame transparency is to use the Effects panel -- where fill, stroke, and text -- all have individual controls.

Comment

Originally posted by kemingMatters View Post
          If you are printing offset, I would suggest a pantone grey instead of using a transparency or tint.
          This. Pantone 424 is a great grey.
          This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
          "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Text is Helvetica light 9p on A4.I wanted it dark grey, because in black it looks a bit intense, both on screen&print. Is there a way to still use black, but make the text look lighter?Maybe a different black than the standard Indesign swatch?(without this leading to the miss-registration that Kemming mentioned)

Do I find the Pantone 424 under PANTONE Colour Bridge CMYK PC?
            Thanks for all the replies!

Comment

To get a solid grey you have to use a pantone (or spot) grey on an offset press. If you are printing digitally then it doesn't matter, grey will be made up of dots, whether it's made from just black, a rich black, or a pantone grey (digital will convert the pantone grey to CMYK).
              Last edited by kemingMatters; 04-03-2012, 07:29 PM.
              Design is not decoration.

Comment

Pantone 424 is a spot color, not a process color. It would be in the spot coated, uncoated, and matte books. If you convert it to a process color you won't get the same results at all.

Edit: Ninja-d. What Keming said.
                This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Thanks for the help!!

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2015 Mediabistro Inc.
                  Working...
                  X