No announcement yet.

3D text help: turning the 3d part into a path and object

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D text help: turning the 3d part into a path and object

this is my first post and i'm pretty new to illustrator so apologies if this is a basic question

I've created some lettering have added a 3d effect to it. I want to play with the 3d part as one solid block of colour, not separate shaded parts - i've tried expanding the object so i can merge the separate parts, but its not really working. to give some examples of what i'm trying to do:

- so the black and pink parts would be separate objects that i can edit

any help is appreciated

Copy the text.

apply effect

merge all

place original text on top.

(in the advanced options)
    Reducing the number of blend steps to 1

no shading or plastic shading.

Yep, you gotta turn the lights off.
      I tend to use black, with no shading selected.
      Then expand and clean up. That is one of THE messiest pieces of crap algorithm Adobe ever came up with. I earn my setup fee when doing signage with logos created with that POS.

thanks both - thats spot on!

Latest Topics

• Buda
          Indesign hyperlinks - PDF not working on Android and some PC.
          I have an Indesign file with hyperlinks throughout. Saved as an Interactive PDF.

I've emailed the PDF to myself and have tested on my mac and on a PC. Links are working fine.

Today, 09:12 PM
        • PrintDriver
          Reply to Graphic Design in the 2010s...
          This is actually exactly my point. Are graphic designers leaving the physical world behind because they view it as ''construction''?
          Is the physical world limited to simple wayfinding? Or is a graphically...
          Today, 07:47 PM
        • PrintDriver
          Reply to Illustrator Pen Tool vs Brush Tool
          Illustrator has added a bunch of new drawing tools that make taking an illustration from sketch to vector art a lot easier than just using the old pen too method.

My new favorite is actually...
          Today, 07:27 PM
        • Buda
          Reply to Freelance
          Hi getgraphix and welcome to GDF.

We ask every new member to read the threads posted HERE, particularly this thread to get acquainted with how things work on GDF. They will explain how...
          Today, 06:03 PM
        • Buda
          Reply to Illustrator Pen Tool vs Brush Tool
          Are you able to post a screenshot close-up of the scan and your brush tooled lines? It would be good to see the quality of line you're achieving.

I don't use the brush tool based on personal...
          Today, 05:59 PM

Incredible Stock
        GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings