Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• murofwoh
    Reply to How to imitate this crackle design/texture for a T-shirt?
    murofwoh
    yes i think the basketball texture idea would be a stretch...
    Today, 09:29 PM
  • 6thSense
    Reply to How to imitate this crackle design/texture for a T-shirt?
    6thSense
    As you stated the first effect was really simple using the pathfinder. Re the brush/distressed look, that portion is still a little vague and has proven to be a tad more difficult than anticipated. You...
    Today, 08:37 PM
  • seamas
    Reply to Education Choices/Backgrounds
    seamas
    Same here, except I studied fine art/painting. The theory and history learned during the course of the degree had some overlap with GD.
    I only took some software and computing classes (over the...
    Today, 08:23 PM
  • seamas
    Reply to LOGO icon opinion
    seamas
    It does look like a bull head.

I would take some time to check out different bull horns.

Different breeds have some interesting shapes.
    Today, 08:08 PM
  • sfys
    Reply to school project one pager
    sfys
    @skribe that strange I viewed my webiste on my macbook and a Imac and windows laptop and on safari chrome and firefox the website showed fine except on IE!!

@kermingmatters I know I...
    Today, 08:08 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by garricks View Post
    I don't really have a favorite, but I do use Adobe Caslon a lot. Helvetica Neue, too.
    Caslon is too fancy for me it's got too many chichis. I go w garamond or palatino when I need a serif

Comment

As the serifs dance by, I have to say that I am a Palatino lover also. Of the serif crowd, I think Palitino has is the best looking italic. Palitino was designed by Hermann Zaph, who also designed Optima.

Speaking of italics and Zaph, the original italic of Optima was simply a slant of the roman version. Zaph was about to start on the italic when Photo Lettering Inc. told him they thought they could do it photographically.
      http://www.paulsullivanstudio.com

Comment

My current favorite pair is the one used in most recent project, which would make it Cochin URW++ and Organic from Positype, identical low x-heights, Old Style. Perfect for the period look I was going for. Can't say as I have a favorite, though the ones mentioned here always get first consideration.

Comment

Century Gothic <3

Comment

I used to avoid Myriad.
            I think there were literally years where I refused to use it at all.

Now I used the Myriad Pro family consistently. Almost everything else looks inappropriate to me these days.

It is a tremendously versatile font family. It helps that the italics aren't butt-ugly.

It's not a particularly "beautiful" font, but it works for a wide range of purposes.
            Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

^I still avoid Myriad. I've just never liked it.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by garricks View Post
                I'm willing to share.

I'm glad you are....I'd hate to have to go postal or something. LOL

I still cannot get around the Myriad thing. I've tried using it, but...it just doesn't do it.

I do find it interesting the total number of typeface mentioned here is not that large. I would have thought it was much more...not that I have counted, but still.
                "Go ahead, make your logos in PS. We charge extra money to redraw your logo into vector art so it can be printed on promotional product. Cha CHING! " - CCericola

Comment

I read about a survey with a lot of designers answering a similar question. Can't remember when or where, but the results were about the same. I think Garamond was included. Useless trivia: The Harry Potter books have a colophon...Adobe Garamond.

Comment

that's probably cause there's only a few standard classics and lots and lots of copies with minute variations on a theme that only RKK would notice at a glance

Comment

The segoe family and Avenir are my two favorite font families.
                      - Jen

"You cannot soar with eagles if you surround yourself with turkeys"

My blog

Comment

Aren't Myriad and Segoe clones (or at least heavily inspired) on Frutiger?

Anyhow, Frutiger, Univers and Caslon are my favorites.

Comment

For some reason, BLEEDING COWBOYS has managed to become my favorite, and least favorite font at the same time.

Comment

Leyral—You bring up an interesting point, Frutiger came up with the Frutiger family of type first, 1992. Myriad was introduced shortly after and Frutiger was was not a happy topographer. There are some differences— among them the dot above the lower case "i".
                            http://www.paulsullivanstudio.com

Comment

Originally posted by sully1251 View Post
                              Leyral—You bring up an interesting point, Frutiger came up with the Frutiger family of type first, 1992. Myriad was introduced shortly after and Frutiger was was not a happy topographer. There are some differences— among them the dot above the lower case "i".
                              I thought Frutiger was a bit older, 70's or early 80's?

edit: 1975 according to Wikipedia

Comment

Funny but true: I hate Myriad, but like Frutiger. The caps are sooo similar. I never even noticed until a few weeks ago.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                                Working...
                                X