OTF vs TTF for MAC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OTF vs TTF for MAC

I understand OTF is the newer generation, but when I am purchasing fonts, it say "Mac/Windows by the TTF, and nothing by the OTF (Myfonts) Which is best to use with mac for print design?

OTF seems future proofing.
    has more letter/digits/characters and happy stuff with it.

I prefer OTF for cross-platform too
    Dribbble Page
    Behance Portfolio
    Linkedin Profile

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Summitsoft-002.../dp/B0040GDPG6

I have this compilation of fonts for my Mac. They are all OTF. OTF is the future and works very well.

If you are using TTF, it does not matter if you get the "Mac" or "Windows" version. The only real difference I can find is how they zipped up. Mac uses Stuff-it and Windows uses standard zip. Both can read by Mac.
      "Go ahead, make your logos in PS. We charge extra money to redraw your logo into vector art so it can be printed on promotional product. Cha CHING! " - CCericola

Comment

I use both. No issues of any kind.
        "I love deadlines. I love the 'whooshing' sound they make when they go by." - Doug Adams
        LinkedIn

Comment

thanks!!!!

Comment

The only time I cringe at TTF is if it is freeware. After all these years we are still getting about a 25% failure rate on freeware TTF fonts in the rips.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
              The only time I cringe at TTF is if it is freeware. After all these years we are still getting about a 25% failure rate on freeware TTF fonts in the rips.

I found this out during school on a few occasions. Most are okay, but a few of them have issues.
              "Go ahead, make your logos in PS. We charge extra money to redraw your logo into vector art so it can be printed on promotional product. Cha CHING! " - CCericola

Comment

.otf fonts can contain either PostScript or TrueType outlines. Most often a font with an .otf suffix contains postscript outlines. A font with a .ttf suffix can have all of the typographic features of a .otf font but because it lacks a digital signature it cannot have the .otf suffix. If you are working in the corporate world, most of your fonts will be either .ttf or TrueType flavored .otf. Outside of the corporate world most designers will use Postscript flavored .otf fonts.

Comment

OTF is more likely to be a “better” font, as it supports more advanced typesetting features (smallcaps, alternates, ligatures and so on actually inside the font rather than in fiddly separate expert set fonts). It can also contain either spline (TTF-style) or Bezier (PostScript Type 1-style) curves, so hopefully you're getting the shapes the font was originally designed in and not a potentially-poorer-quality conversion. On the other hand, if you're downloading free fonts from shovelware sites, you're unlikely to get any of that. Indeed, you may simple be getting a TTF font renamed to OTF. More...OTF Vs TTF

Comment

Hi Helsywarner and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
                    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Lot’s of false or misleading information in this topic unfortunately. Larger character set, advanced features or being “future proof” are NOT exclusive to fonts with an OTF suffix. They can all exist in a TTF font as well.

There isn’t much information one can derive from the suffix alone. OTF is probably a PostScript-flavoured font, TTF is a TrueType-flavoured font. But all the features depend on the specific font. When in doubt, I would rather go with TTF, since its backwards compatible and works in more apps. For typical graphic design jobs, e.g. in Adobe apps, the OTFs are the more common choice though.

Comment

Hi Typoguru and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
                        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Originally posted by typoguru View Post
                          Lot’s of false or misleading information in this topic unfortunately. Larger character set, advanced features or being “future proof” are NOT exclusive to fonts with an OTF suffix. They can all exist in a TTF font as well.

There isn’t much information one can derive from the suffix alone. OTF is probably a PostScript-flavoured font, TTF is a TrueType-flavoured font. But all the features depend on the specific font. When in doubt, I would rather go with TTF, since its backwards compatible and works in more apps. For typical graphic design jobs, e.g. in Adobe apps, the OTFs are the more common choice though.

Will take note of this

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                          Working...
                          X