Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• iyiyi
    Reply to Anybody use a Mac Mini?
    iyiyi
    Other than Cosmo, have any of you had "bricking" issues with mac minis? I have done a lot of research and he is the first person to bring up that issue. And fwiw, I was planning on getting a...
    Today, 08:38 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Comment on 48" Single sided retractable banner stand with 2 poles?
    KitchWitch
    Hi SamEvs and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links below. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 08:25 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Comment on Anybody use a Mac Mini?
    kemingMatters
    "The best 2014 mac mini is a 2012 mac mini" FTW
    Today, 08:21 PM
  • Cosmo
    Cosmo
    Yeah. After reading that, I feel even more strongly about my opinion to not buy one.

I would look for a gently-used (or refurbished) iMac.
    Today, 08:15 PM
  • Cosmo
    Cosmo
    We had four of them. One lasted a year. The others not so long. I believe it's the fact that the Minis don't cool very well. I know ours always ran hot.

I've also heard that the new Minis...
    Today, 08:13 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Font choice

HI Everyone, I am in the process of building web site number 13 for my art this month...keep going from one extreme to the other with it, At the moment I am too commercial feeling so I am going back to my original artsy feel. I am having a real issue with choosing the right font for my home page. here is the background image I think I am going to be using...Any font suggestions would be so appreciated......

www.senjula.com
    www.senjula.com

Maybe something modern - check out this site for some great free fonts organised by categories
    http://www.dafont.com/
    www.longestwebbanner.com
    Creating the Longest Web Banner in the World

Comment

we have all been warned about being negative to noobs - and i don't wish for you in anyway to feel bullied by my comments - they are only my opinion at the end of the day, but here goes *deep breath*.

your work looks like it has been done in paint. It really isn't in my opinion very good at all - i think you have a lot more to worry about then just your typeface. A lot of the facial proportions of your characters are out and even the positioning is off in some cases. now this would be ok if you were going for a blantant picasso esque abstract style but you are not.

on your site there is a picture of a little boy that you have turned into an illustration and can i just say - if you made my little boy (not that i have kids) look like that i would take you to court (naughty over opinionated kerry). I think you really need to work on your skills and techniques a lot more before you can start charging for your work. you might want to start with a few of the tutorials on www.worth1000.com they are pretty good. but don't overdo teqniques found in tutorials as there are 1000's of others out there learning the same tutorials too.
      Last edited by kerrysmagicshirt; 04-02-2006, 02:37 PM.
      www.kerryrowberry.com

Comment

Thanks for your views on my Art, but art is art, each has there own style, this is mine and for now my clients have been quite happy with their toon out images. I am learning with each new print and overtime everything improves.
        www.senjula.com

Comment

you are right art is art and it is about personal choice- but it does require a certain level of skill and understanding about technique and the medium you are using before you can create a piece of quality work. And if you are charging for that work it certainly does need to be a quality peice of work.

If your clients are happy that is all that matters.

Whatever software you are using it is unsuitable for the work you are doing. you are clearly using a bitmap based piece of software and you should be using something vector based like Adobe Illustrator. You will find that there are not only more tools to help create the type of work you are trying to create, but as it is vector the edges of all your lines will be as clean a a whistle too.

And yes you are right we all learn over time.
          www.kerryrowberry.com

Comment

this thread got off topic really fast. You are right on that image, it was one I thought I would go with and basicly just wanted a font suggestion to go with it. The image itself is about four years old and was created in paintshop pro...if this is the image I would go with I would deffinitly bring it into photoshop and start touching it up like I have done here. I would still have a lot of work to do but this is where I would start going with it.

www.senjula.com

Comment

there is a font on dafont.com called "Angelina" that has a nice feel to it... it might look good with your illustration.

http://www.dafont.com/font.php?file=...0&classt=alpha
              "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

Andrew Script is kind of neat too. They are both under "Script > Handwritten" fonts.

Jewel Hill is also nice. I would go for something more freehand looking... by that I mean something that looks more like it was done by hand than "typed".
                Last edited by morea; 04-02-2006, 06:33 PM.
                "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

Originally posted by senjula
                  this thread got off topic really fast.
                  sorry about that
                  it's smoothing out nicely in photoshop though.
                  i hope it goes the way you like it.

some will disagree with me i'm sure but because of the alternative look of the charachter i would go with something grungy

i like angelina that morea has sujested.

i found 'tattoo girl' here for you
                  http://www.1001freefonts.com/fonts/newfonts4.htm
                  that may be suitable
                  or 'big' here http://www.1001freefonts.com/fonts/bfonts5.htm
                  if you are looking for something a little bolder.

most free font sites are easy to brows through so just experiment.

if you convert your text to outlines in photoshop too you can amend them in any way you want - but make sure your spellings and font size are right before you do this.

all the best pulling your site together
                  www.kerryrowberry.com

Comment

Thanks for the font suggestions so far, oh and kerry the "forum troll" says thanks for posting my site address up on another forum, although hidden with a totally different title then I would have choosen, but it is bringing traffic to my web.
                    www.senjula.com

Comment

Sorry i wanted to share your work with a freind of mine.

you might want to familiarise yourself with PMing though.
                      www.kerryrowberry.com

Comment

Originally posted by morea
                        Andrew Script is kind of neat too. They are both under "Script > Handwritten" fonts.

Jewel Hill is also nice. I would go for something more freehand looking... by that I mean something that looks more like it was done by hand than "typed".
                        Thanks Morea, I really like that link, I think I will go with the Jewel Hill or else I will really make it look hand down and do it myslef...I appreciate your time
                        www.senjula.com

Comment

edited for rude content, by the admin. Adrian, if you cannot think of a nicer way to critique, post nothing at all. Thank you, the management.
                          Vokab clothes - coming soon -- Myspace

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Rize
                            edited for rude content, by the admin. Adrian, if you cannot think of a nicer way to critique, post nothing at all. Thank you, the management.
                            I'll think of away the word Horrid can not be taken as an offence, lol.
                            Last edited by morea; 04-11-2006, 11:01 PM.
                            www.senjula.com

Comment

Edited for rude content again, by JPnyc. Adrian, you may be as honest and brutal as you wish, however NOT on this forum.
                              Vokab clothes - coming soon -- Myspace

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X