Migrating from basekit to wordpress

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating from basekit to wordpress

I made a website using hostgator's basekit builder. My website is hosted on hostgator itself. I want to migrate my website to wordpress from basekit site builder(i.e. I want to use wordpress to edit my website from now on) . I don't know any computer languages. How can I do it?

Kindly provide a step by step tutorial.

Here is my user interface that I get when I login to my control panel of hostgator.

Hi Archz2 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Have you tried contacting your host?
      Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Agreed. Your host needs to point your site to Wordpress. I've had hosts do this for free but not sure if Host Gator charges.

Comment

• B
          B commented
          Editing a comment
          I could be wrong, but I don't think the question is about repointing anything to Wordpress -- it's about migrating the content from one CMS to another.

• calebninja
          calebninja commented
          Editing a comment
          You're right. I was thinking just the domain name but since he's actually built a website not sure how that would be done cross platform.

Basekit is HostGator's easy-to-use, basic website building tool. I've honestly never used it, but my gut feeling is there's not a practical way to simply migrate over to an installed CMS, like WordPress. I could be wrong, though, and I suspect you'll need to pose that question to HostGator's support team.

My best guess is that you'll need to rebuild the site from scratch in WordPress, which will come with a learning curve and lots of frustration if you lack experience in this sort of thing.

I know nothing about BaseKit, but assuming it's a set of files in a directory on your shared server, you could create another directory on the server in which to install WordPress, then access the WordPress admin through your browser in that directory. Once you got your Wordpress website built, you'd change the .htaccess file directive to point from the BaseKit directory or index file to your new WordPress directory. I've left out about a million things you'll also need to know between those steps, but it's a start.

Then again, like's been said, contact HostGator's support. They just might have an easy solution since I suspect they get asked this question about 50 times each day.

Comment

Thanks a lot everyone for your support. I was extremely frustrated, restless and impatient due to this whole migration issue.

After posting this question on your site, I called up hostgator support on phone. They helped me a lot. I had installed wordpress and it was getting installed but nothing was happening. This was at around 8 pm. The customer support advised me to mail them the issue and next morning at 530 am , my issue was resolved. She said that I won't be able to migrate from basekit to wordpress. Neither she nor the staff could do that for me.

You guys are right, I have to build my website from scratch. One of my friends also advised me to build it from scratch again instead of migrating. He says migrating is quite difficult, tedius and risky to do and might create instabilities in the new wordpress based websites.
          I have saved my web pages as html files using the usual "save as method" of chrome browser.

Now Iím learning wordpress and building my website all over again.

Thanks once again for such great and helpful replies. I've joined many forums earlier but have never received more than 2 or 3 replies on my introductory post.

Six replies is just incredible! Yippee!

Comment

I'm not sure if Wordpress have import feature from Basekit but you can use some plugin like HTML to WordPress Converter to convert html to Wordpress or follow the instruction at https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/mov...-to-wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by archz2 View Post

I made a website using hostgator's basekit builder. My website is hosted on hostgator itself. I want to migrate my website to wordpress from basekit site builder(i.e. I want to use wordpress to edit my website from now on) . I don't know any computer languages. How can I do it?
              I have a question, how did you managed the permalinks? The permalinks were the same when migrated to wordpress?

Comment

Hi Banjo and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
                Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                Working...
                X