Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As a graphic designer, what do you struggle with the most with regards to web design?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Alanwest and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

From an agency standpoint, apparently our next big thing is enterprise (FFFF, I know, I program that crap). Well that means CMS's and we all know how that turns out.

Well we're trying and it's turning out how you'd think. We build, and deal, you're supposed to design to the template, but no one pays attention to the template either. (So we mess with it until it fits to the design).

I.E. All CMS's I've ever touched. (The future!!!!)

Comment

I've been a graphic designer longer than I've done web work. I really enjoy the creative process when designing the initial layout of sites and the actual development of it. I guess the part I find monotonous is SEO, analytics, and file management in a CMS. It can get daunting. I much prefer the planning and execution of a site, rather than the maintenance.

Comment

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet, but I think the biggest change in going from graphic to web design is implementing a responsive design. That is to say, building the layout and design of the website in such a way that it adjusts to the various screen sizes we are now dealing with.

Whereas a graphic design has finite dimensions, a web design does not. There are so many different aspect ratios and resolutions to take into account. Instead of dealing with fixed dimensions, you work a lot more in percentages, and you have to come up with a design that will work vertically (for smartphones) just as well as it does horizontally (for large desktop monitors). It's frustrating at first, but with the right mindset becomes an interesting challenge.

Comment

• HotButton
            HotButton commented
            Editing a comment
            Right. Before the dawn of mobile browsing and responsive design, it was the crap-wading through the differences in feature support across the popular browsers. Now, there are 4 times as many rendering- scenario variations. I don't know how much content is out there that truly works everywhere, but I seem to come across an awful lot of sites that don't work well at all on my mobile devices. So it's bad on both sides of the design table.

Hi Colorgaia and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
          Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

As a graphic designer, what do you struggle with the most with regards to web design?
            The Client. Every time.

It is important to get a comprehensive spec up front, and also that the client understands that any changes to the spec will cost a potentially unlimited amount of extra time and cash.

Most common request I used to get from clients - usually after the job was done - 'That's great, can you send me a copy so I can amend it myself?' This is of course a natural request but unless your client has Dreamweaver or whatever it is impossible. There are Content Management solutions but the website needs to be set up from the start with this in mind, otherwise its a complete redo from scratch.

I don't do website design any more. I usually tell people to use a template site and do it themselves. At least that way they are in control and can update prices etc. as and when they need to.
            Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Comment

Hi Rahulp and welcome to GDF.

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-...o-day-business

Look familiar rahulp or should I say Lindsay...

Comment

• KitchWitch
                  KitchWitch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice catch.

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
              Working...
              X