Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions to web designers.

Hello to everyone,

My name's Tony, and I am currently co-developing an app for web designers. I was hoping you could help us to understand designers' needs by answering a few questions.

P.S. This inquiry is primarily addressed to those web designers who don't write HTML/CSS themselves but design visual layouts only (using PhotoShop or other graphic software).

1. Your OS.
    2. Web Browser of your choice.
    3. Resolution of your screen.
    4. What software/app do you use to design layouts? (PhotoShop/Illustrator/Sketch/something else?)
    5. Which features of the app that you use would you change or remove if you had a chance? (in terms of web design only, not general graphic design).
    6. How do you handle responsive web design in your work? Do you usually design each screen size individually, or one version only? If the former, in what order do you usually design them?
    7. How often do you use style guides made by others in your work? Do you make your own style guides?
    8. Which of the two do you usually do: draw your own icons for your websites, or use 3rd party icon sets?
    Thanks is advance

Hi bordon, welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Design is not decoration.

Comment

I don't do a lot of web designing (pretty darn near zero) but the phase of web design I'm usually in some way involved in is at the sketch stage.

Your questions 1, 2, and 3 do not pertain to the issue. It doesn't matter what OS, Browser or resolution I or my cohorts use, it all depends on usability by the end client (interactive standalone kiosk or online.)

Layouts are story-boarded using a flow-chart type system, usually in screenshot photoshop/illustrator format, but always bearing in mind the depth of the code needed to run the imagery. Screen response time has to be pretty damn fast.

Style guides are used nearly 90% of the time. While additions to the guides may be made, there is usually some over-arching brand standard being adhered to.

Icons aren't a usually this or usually that. If custom icons are required, they are designed and approved. If standard brand icons are used, they are made available by the client. Occasionally, clip-art will be used, but totally project specific and only if it can be licensed for no-term-limit use.
      Last edited by PrintDriver; 03-21-2017, 08:49 AM.

Comment

• bordon
        bordon commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for your answer,

Questions 1-3 are statistical, important for out beta optimization.

• PrintDriver
        PrintDriver commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah, I think I misunderstood you. You are looking to create only a sketch type program maybe, not a WYSIWYG code tool.
        Mac OSX, Firefox, 1920x1080

I layout my website in photoshop and then put it together using Wordpress: so not sure if I am what you're looking for to answer these questions but I'll give it a go.

1. Mac OSX/Windows 7
      2. All....need to make sure the website functions the same across the board. But I design the site mainly using Chrome/Safari
      3. idk
      4. Photoshop then Wordpress
      5. Not really sure. Depending on the theme I'm working with, some are easier than others. But there's nothing I would really change about PS and WP.
      6. Design a website version and then shrink it to see what doesn't translate well to smaller devices. Then I make specific sections that are only visible on smaller devices and vice versa.
      7. The only resources I use from others are the website theme and any stock images added to the site.
      8. Both. If the site warrants a custom icon set then I will do my best to design one. If I can get by using the theme's icon set I will do that. I've also used both custom and third party icons in the same site before.

Comment

Hello Bordon,

As a graphic designer I design websites & webshops for clients, and then hand them over to the developers.

Here are my answers:
        1. Mac OS X
        2. Chrome and Firefox
        3. 1920x1200
        4. Photoshop
        5. An easy way to design several pages with the same header/footer
        6. First desktop screen, then mobile screen. Trying to change that order though!
        7. I wish I could find better style guides, I would use them!
        8. I prefer drawing icons myself, but when there's not enough time there are some really good sets to find!

I hope this was helpful!

Comment

Hi Astriet and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
          Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

calebninja, Astriet, thank you for your answers. It was most helpful.

Comment

Hi guys (website designers) I'm currently looking for Contractors. I'm hiring -are you interested?
              Last edited by KitchWitch; 03-22-2017, 07:31 AM. Reason: removed link - no advertising or driving traffic to other websites allowed
              "I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque!"
              - Bugs Bunny

Comment

• KitchWitch
                KitchWitch commented
                Editing a comment
                If you are hiring, you can post in the Classifieds section with details on the open position and an email address where people can contact you privately. No pricing discussions. Posting a link on the forum that drives traffic to your personal site (other than a small portfolio link) is against the rules.

As a Web Designer, Its my pleasure to help you to get over it, I wanna share some of my knowledge about your question. Hope this can help you in some ways, My answers are the following: 1. Mac OS X 2. Chrome and Firefox 3. 1920x1200 4. Photoshop 5. An easy way to design several pages with the same header/footer 6. First desktop screen, then mobile screen. Trying to change that order though! 7. I wish I could find better style guides, I would use them! 8. I prefer drawing icons myself, but when there's not enough time there are some really good sets to find! Looking forward,

Comment

• calebninja
                calebninja commented
                Editing a comment
                If great minds think alike, you and Astriet must be brilliant.

Hi Renaefab and welcome to GDF.

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Hello!
                1. Windows 7
                2. Chrome
                3.1920x1200
                4. PhotoShop/Corel Draw
                5. Difficult to explain
                6. usually I design each screen size individually
                7. Usually I make my own style guides but sometimes (not often) use style guides made by others
                8. use 3rd party icon sets
                Good luck!

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Clinton78
                  One off off-set lithographic Print?
                  Clinton78
                  Hi guys,

I have a situation where I need to commercially print illustrations that are coloured entirely in black. It's basically realistic aircraft illustrations and the aircraft are painted...
                  Today, 11:11 AM
                • Craig B
                  Reply to Style of Font
                  Craig B
                  To expand a little on what B said. Those monograms were hand created. They weren't just a font, and there's no software that will automatically squeeze them into a shape like that....
                  Today, 11:00 AM
                • Craig B
                  Reply to Vector art blurry when posted to social media!
                  Craig B
                  Not sure where you got those sizes. I would try this always up to date google doc with various social media pixel sizes.
                  Today, 10:58 AM
                • PrintDriver
                  Reply to What makes this ad. design awesome?
                  PrintDriver
                  As B noted in his 2nd post,

So without doing the research involved in creating an ''awesome'' ad campaign based on your needs, in your particular location, and one that works with your particular...
                  Today, 10:30 AM
                • PrintDriver
                  Reply to Portfolio usage of work
                  PrintDriver
                  The designer may own the rights to the design, but they may not own the copyright on any photos or copywriting used in the design or any trademarked logos. In cases where there is client supplied content,...
                  Today, 10:22 AM
                GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                Working...
                X