ALL CAPS vs Sentence case in web design and site review

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALL CAPS vs Sentence case in web design and site review

Hi gdf. i am having a hard time trying to convince my client that all caps is a lot less legible then sentence case, it seems he wants to shout everything thats placed on the website. the subtitles in mobile view are what he wants all caps. ( you may have to shrink browers window to see this). please give your opinion on this and critque the website design as well ( please not that it is not finished e.g. menu and footer to come. and some color and grammar and a whole lot of typography changes are needed plus some links point to the old site) which case would you go for?

link to website: http://35.177.235.233/
    ALL CAPS
    33.33%
    Sentence case
    66.67%
    Title Case
    0%

All Caps for titles and subtitles is not uncommon in web design. People spend seconds to a couple minutes on a website, and will leave the page quickly if it's not what they're looking for. Using all caps can be a way of grabbing the visitor's attention and letting them know you can help them.

This website is about plumbing emergencies so the all caps doesn't stick out like a sore thumb, I wouldn't worry too much about the casing.

I would worry about the amount of words on your home page if your client wants the home page to rank in search engines. I would also remove the trendy hamburger menu for desktop view; it's really not helpful unless you're using a phone or tablet.

Comment

Sentence case is more conversational and friendly than uppercase. I don't see the need for Title Case unless you are using it for proper names as it blurs the difference between proper names and copy (for example: polish and Polish; two different pronunciations, two very different meanings, same spelling except for the capitalization). I would try to guide them to go with sentence case. Hopefully when you started you discussed other websites that they liked and thought were effective in their space, and ones they didn't like and/or thought were ineffective; you may be able to go back to those and align them with certain elements they may have lost sight of.

As for the website, it feels quite scattered, there doesn't appear to be much of a visual hierarchy and I'm not sure where to look.

Design is not decoration.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• seamas
        Comment on Poster for a school project
        seamas
        I dunno, I think it is worse when the dead headliners DO show up.

Not very sexy imho
        Yesterday, 05:18 PM
      • PrintDriver
        Comment on Looking for the graphic designer of a certain graphic
        PrintDriver
        I'm a creature of necessity. A lot of times the end client will want an actual signed release and a real photo credit, so you have to attempt to find the artist.
        Love doing image research for projects....
        Yesterday, 05:10 PM
      • PrintDriver
        Reply to Work from UK for an US company
        PrintDriver
        All I can suggest is consult a tax expert in the UK. If your company doesn't mind you moonlighting like this, maybe they could suggest someone for you.
        Income is Income and the Gov always seems...
        Yesterday, 05:05 PM
      • PrintDriver
        Comment on Work from UK for an US company
        PrintDriver
        I do business with people in the UK a lot. Because the gig they hire us for is going to be in the US, they time shift their design staff so they are available during US Eastern Time. It's the only way...
        Yesterday, 05:02 PM
      • PrintDriver
        Comment on Poster for a school project
        PrintDriver
        Especially if the headliners aren't going to show up...
        Yesterday, 04:55 PM
      GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
      Working...
      X