Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats your design and development process?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats your design and development process?

Hi Everyone,

I work for a small/medium agency (16 people) and was wondering what your design and development process is? At the moment we use a tried and tested, if not slightly awkward process which is:-

1) Concept design
    Concepts are design in Photoshop and out put as JPG's which we then use a simple webpage to present and share the concepts with out clients. These are usually full worked up concepts containing suggested imagery, fonts, colours etc...our clients usually have to see something and can rarely picture what their site/app will look like without seeing some sort of visual concept.

2) Template Design
    Once a spec has been completed for the website/app etc templates are created in photoshop and can be anywhere from 5 -25 templates depending on the size of the project.

3) Development
    These templates are given to a developer to complete the build of the front-end and work with a back end developer if required. It's very much a case of the designers design and the developers build. This process works but feels a bit clunky and old fashioned and I'm looking at ways to improve this process and wondered if any of you have a different approach to a project? I have looked at improving the designers skillset here to incorporate some front-end build but this seems pointless when it takes time to learn, and a front-end developer can complete the task in a fraction of the time. We rarely wireframe anything, it just goes straight from design to build and any UX problems are ironed out in the build process.

This process works, but I'd like to know if it can be improved, changed or if i suggest to my directors that we need to change things or at least take a risk and try something new. I've looked at tools such as Adobe Muse, Adobe Experience design are there any other wire-framing, prototype apps you use?

Thanks

Hi Matt and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

These are the same process we follow for our designing and development. we mainly focus on template designing.

Comment

Hi George and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

From my point of view, what needs to come first is a thorough assessment of the problem, the challenges, the resources and the expected outcome. I'm not at all sure that any conceptualization should begin until after that assessment is made.

As for working through the UX during the build, I'm sort of likening that to a construction company building a skyscraper with only an architectural sketch in hand to guide them, then telling themselves that if the building starts to lean or if the floors begin to sag, they'll fix it when and if it happens. It just might be a whole lot more efficient and cost-effective in the long run to think through the entire problem before the backhoes are called in and the concrete is poured.

Comment

What is about in development process?

Comment

What B said.
              I don't do web design, but when we do build-outs (like a custom tradeshow booth or office lobby installation,) we always do a shop drawing first to make sure all the pieces are going to come together in the finished product. While it doesn't always happen that the ''as built'' is exactly the same as the shop drawing (though usually it is,) at least there is a plan of attack that prevents massive do-overs in the real world. Do-overs and fixes take time - and cost money. If you are doing fixes after the build, keep track of the time costs and see if doing an hour's worth of wire-framing doesn't save you time (and money) in the long run.
              Last edited by PrintDriver; 06-16-2017, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Hi Sm2345110 and welcome to GDF.

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• StudioMonkey
                  Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
                  StudioMonkey
                  The step and repeat in Illustrator can do patterns and vary the size and even the rotation, to set parameters or at random. This will give you a vector file but Paintshop Pro and PhotoShop are not vector...
                  Today, 06:23 AM
                • HotButton
                  Comment on Flyer Crtitique
                  HotButton
                  It's just what I call it when people use an expression that actually says or means the opposite of what is intended; ''could care less'' would be another prime example.
                  Yesterday, 11:44 PM
                • B
                  Reply to Flyer Crtitique
                  B
                  That makes sense, I guess. Off is the inverse of on, which makes based off the inverse of based on. Got it. ...
                  Yesterday, 08:50 PM
                • B
                  Reply to Flyer Crtitique
                  B
                  Okay, I know what a colloquialism is, but what is an inverse colloquialism?

Probrien, in addition to HotButton's comments, which I agree with, the ad is a bit confusing. Maybe it's lacking...
                  Yesterday, 08:48 PM
                • PrintDriver
                  Reply to Flyer Crtitique
                  PrintDriver
                  ''Based off'' is inverse of ''based on.'' ''Based on'' is a colloquialism.
                  I think.
                  I have not had enough to drink to play this game.

o O
                  Yesterday, 08:27 PM
                GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                Working...
                X