Indesign Files

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indesign Files

As an agency Developer, I've been out of the whole creative business lately. Actually for years.
    Is there something that you designers now do for websites that includes Indesign? More and more that's been a thing creative agencies have been giving me lately, and you also have weird PPI settings. Is that a new norm I should know? Because it seems weird. Desktop websites are still 72 dpi btw....we can do else for other displays, but only using css and something like phone displays.

Also, only use whole pixel fonts and letting.... forget about kerning, we can't do that cross-browser.

Pretty much: WTH?
    Last edited by John G; 07-01-2017, 04:41 PM.

I hear ya, buddy.
    There is a whole lot of wrong going on out there in the design world right now. Just because you can use InDesign to create website graphics doesn't mean you should, but try telling that to the creative that knows very little about creating web graphics, but damn, they know InDesign.

It's really sad.

I deal with the opposite problem quite often. The designer who knows web design but not much about print design. RGB, no bleeds, 72ppi.... Yeah... kinda goes both ways.

Comment

We can deal a lot with web, so mainly we end up accepting the creative bits anyways. I'm so glad I never had to deal with print =p Every convo on our end pretty much ends with... "well, okayyy..." (and then muttering ... 'idiots')

I'm just used to PSD files. 1:1 pixels and all that (we do drug sites so regulatory and pixel perfect is kind of important). I've pushed back about ID files and received the reply "What?" "This is what we have". on multiple occasions, with multiple agencies so I'm sort of concerned.
      Last edited by John G; 07-02-2017, 09:23 AM.

Comment

I'm long beyond being concerned. If an agency hires a designer that wants me to print their photoshopalicious output, I just verify they are good with the resolution and not concerned about color match, then put on nose clip and blindfold and push button. About 8-ish years ago the sig generation entered the graphic design workforce. While still few and far between in my weird corner of the business, my cohorts in crime at the printshops aren't so lucky.

My only wish is to win the lottery sometime soon. I doubt I will retire out of this business before the train wreck otherwise.
        The bright side, they do keep me employed.

Comment

There are bits God Damnit! 1's and 0's This isn't hard!!!.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
            I'm long beyond being concerned. If an agency hires a designer that wants me to print their photoshopalicious output, I just verify they are good with the resolution and not concerned about color match, then put on nose clip and blindfold and push button. About 8-ish years ago the sig generation entered the graphic design workforce. While still few and far between in my weird corner of the business, my cohorts in crime at the printshops aren't so lucky.

My only wish is to win the lottery sometime soon. I doubt I will retire out of this business before the train wreck otherwise.
            The bright side, they do keep me employed.
            Some bright idiot at some point will solve that generation's problem by creating a new app that has a big button you push that makes everything perfect.

Dealing with the details is for everyone else. Just get the app. Problem solved.

/sarcasm
            Erik Youngren Pueblo Publishers, Composing Manager
            2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5

Comment

The button that would make some of those things 'perfect' already exists.

It's called ''Delete"

Comment

We do web stuff mainly, I'm old skool and use Fireworks (im from the macromedia era), so we dont tend to worry too much about print, though we do produce illustrator versions of logos and vector graphics for printers.

Never been passed indesign for web...i dunno why anyone would use indesign for web stuff.

For me i dont think it helps that Adobe is a little confused about its graphic software lineup, too much software with different shortcut keys and too much crossover in functionality, no wonder people are using the wrong (or not the best) software for the job

Adobe cant get their own adobes export vector feature from firworks to illustrator to pull over simple stuff like gradient fills so leaves us with alot of headaches, when creating for printers.

Now they have killed Fireworks, at some point will have to move over to illustrator or more likely illustrator photoshop combo.....annoyingly which is what Fireworks is, one thing for sure, not going to be using indesign

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                Working...
                X