Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on my new hand-coded website

Hey guys,

So I do freelance digital animation and I just launched a simple landing page for the moment (not using CMS). I would still like to know what you think of it. I plan on embedding a promo below the animated logo as a next step, followed by more content and pages.

You can check it out here: http://lukeroberts.tv

Thanks,
    Luke

Not using a CMS is a bonus imo. But it's still a bouncy thing with links. If you're game for animation I would love to see what equations you've got that are different than tweenMax. It's kind of been done with Bounce .(In/Out)
    Last edited by John G; 07-13-2017, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John G View Post
      Not using a CMS is a bonus imo. But it's still a bouncy thing with links. If you're game for animation I would love to see what equations you've got that are different than tweenMax. It's kind of been done with Bounce .(In/Out)
      Really enjoy starting from scratch, and feel like I have more control when I do so. Admittedly, I haven't explored the development side of web animation too much yet. Any good places to start? In terms of formats, it would be interesting to see GIF superseded by APNG, but not sure if that'll happen.

Comment

It's not too busy or overkilled with animations and graphics... It makes me want to click something to venture further.

Comment

Hi Eddy and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
          Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Originally posted by LukeRoberts View Post

Really enjoy starting from scratch, and feel like I have more control when I do so. Admittedly, I haven't explored the development side of web animation too much yet. Any good places to start? In terms of formats, it would be interesting to see GIF superseded by APNG, but not sure if that'll happen.

/blush, First time I've heard of APNG. I'm going to have to research all the pertinents =p
            Genereally Tweenmax is more worthwhile and faster than Flash animation vs. jquery. It's way faster, but having been using flash animation via Tweenmax from back in the day.... I'm biased (the graphs they'e done have said tweenmax is still faster than jquery), but that's of course biased, but tweenmax doesn't have to deal with selectors. (it's really faster, and their animation equations are fun to play with anyways.
            Last edited by John G; 07-15-2017, 02:17 PM.

Comment

It looks great! I really like how the links change color when you hover over them. With the bouncing logo in the middle, maybe you would want to make the bounce range symmetrical and have it go as far down as it does up, instead of having it stop while it's centered. Very impressive!

Comment

Looks good, really enjoy how the links change also but also surprised by the logo!
                Last edited by KitchWitch; 07-18-2017, 03:47 PM. Reason: Removed link and crit request

Comment

• KitchWitch
                  KitchWitch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I removed your link. If you would like feedback on your site, I recommend you start a new thread so people can comment on it there. Thanks.

Originally posted by eddyreason View Post
                It's not too busy or overkilled with animations and graphics... It makes me want to click something to venture further.
                Cool. Thanks for the feedback! Then the next challenge is to add content while avoiding too much distraction... Once I further develop the site, I would like to get your thoughts if possible.

Originally posted by John G View Post

/blush, First time I've heard of APNG. I'm going to have to research all the pertinents =p
                Genereally Tweenmax is more worthwhile and faster than Flash animation vs. jquery. It's way faster, but having been using flash animation via Tweenmax from back in the day.... I'm biased (the graphs they'e done have said tweenmax is still faster than jquery), but that's of course biased, but tweenmax doesn't have to deal with selectors. (it's really faster, and their animation equations are fun to play with anyways.
                I discovered the APNG (also MNG) after getting tired of the GIF pronunciation debate. Lolz. In my opinion, Graphics Interchange Format is outmoded anyhow. I'll have to certainly check out Tweenmax. Getting back into the development side of things has been fun.

Originally posted by marzbarz View Post
                It looks great! I really like how the links change color when you hover over them. With the bouncing logo in the middle, maybe you would want to make the bounce range symmetrical and have it go as far down as it does up, instead of having it stop while it's centered. Very impressive!
                Thanks! That's a terrific idea. I think I'll try that for the larger site launch, or perhaps earlier.

Originally posted by kingsslayer View Post
                Looks good, really enjoy how the links change also but also surprised by the logo!
                Much appreciated, sir!

Comment

Well, the "name/logo" definitely attracts attention and makes people want to click it (assuming they all know they should do that is a too big assumption by the way). So if that's the intention, that's great. If not stop the animation after running it once.

There is no real reason for this page to exist. It's only purpose could be branding. In that case I would show this animation for 1 or two seconds, then automatically move on to the actual content.

Comment

Originally posted by RMo View Post
                    Well, the "name/logo" definitely attracts attention and makes people want to click it (assuming they all know they should do that is a too big assumption by the way). So if that's the intention, that's great. If not stop the animation after running it once.

There is no real reason for this page to exist. It's only purpose could be branding. In that case I would show this animation for 1 or two seconds, then automatically move on to the actual content.
                    Thanks for the feedback! With regard to the animated logotype, I've actually been thinking of going in a different direction. The landing page is just a temporary place that provides basic info and social links until I finish developing the full website.

Getting close to the launch. Will post an update when it happens.
                    Last edited by LukeRoberts; 08-24-2017, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Breanne.C
                      Reply to Helloooooo!
                      Breanne.C
                      Actually, I do have a print related issue if you'd like to take a stab at helping me with. Should I post in the correct category with the issue and picture that goes with it?
                      Yesterday, 10:29 PM
                    • Breanne.C
                      Reply to Font ID Please
                      Breanne.C
                      Oh yeah.

Catorze27 Style 1 Bold best matched it, for the exception of the M, which I easily was able to fix....
                      Yesterday, 10:14 PM
                    • B
                      Reply to Logo Design - Font to match and go alongside chosen logo
                      B
                      You'll need to add an email address for interested designers to contact you and work out details offline.
                      Yesterday, 04:34 PM
                    • Peter3v
                      Logo Design - Font to match and go alongside chosen logo
                      Peter3v
                      Dear Sir/Madam,

I'm the owner of a recruitment company whom has a logo that they are happy with BUT would like the name of the recruitment business to be to the immediate right of the logo...
                      Yesterday, 12:40 PM
                    • PrintDriver
                      Reply to Poster for a school project
                      PrintDriver
                      Still doesn't help the student figure out how to come up with a viable concept. If they had done even the tiniest bit of research, your ''concept'' would have been easily discovered. It's on just about...
                      Yesterday, 06:54 AM
                    GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                    Working...
                    X