Please review my Website

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please review my Website

Hi guys his is my first post here , i am a avid member of many graphic and web design communities but find them lacking at times , gdf was reccomended to me as one of the best so here i am. i hope to learn and share what i know especially on seo , graphic design and web design.

So here is my website http://www.newperspectivestudio.co.za/ it is coded and designed from scratch no template so there are many little issues i find during its lifespan. hahaha
    i would some feedback on any aspect especially from ios users , i get tired of asking to lend people iphones , i have used emulators but find them inaccurate.

Thank you guys kindly.

Here is to a new community
    Regards
    Risen

Hi Risen28 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

If I'm reading it all right.
      On the initial view: Everything looks wrong and pixelated (first problem, even the buggy version of this could at least look correct).

I've played around with the site, but the visuals make me think it's all wrong, but as it works, it doesn't move as expected. If what I think right, it's moving left right up down depending on where you click on the menu vs. where you are at in the menu tree. If that's wrong, my bad (I did that back in on my 2005 GD site final, to much not applause).
      Some of the UI is wrong also.
      Home -> About us = nothing.
      Services to profile click , sometimes doesn't get rid of the drop down menu.

There is some programming things you could make up for transitions between x2 an y3, but you haven't hit that quite yet.
      Last edited by John G; 08-03-2017, 10:49 PM.

Comment

This will be harsh, but I'm assuming you're asking for honest feedback.

The site is cluttered, slow and chaotic. The writing includes multiple spelling mistakes, punctuation errors, capitalization problems, poor grammar and odd collections of SEO words littering the pages in nonsensical phrases. From the horizontally condensed type in your logo to the random resizing bugs, fuzzy images and navigation menu that doesn't work right (in either iOS or on my desktop machine), the site is a train wreck.

I realize you've spent a whole lot of time on it and, as you mention on the site, you built it from scratch. I admire your effort, but it's just not working out well. There are very few clients who can afford (or need) dynamic, built-from-scratch sites. They're extremely time-consuming to build and program, which is the very reason modifiable frameworks and templates exist -- they don't require a reinvention of the wheel each time a new client comes along.

I'm certain this has been a learning exercise for you, but part of that lesson should be the realization that you went overboard on this site. It's complexity has seemingly overwhelmed your efforts.

Just a suggestion, but if I were you, I'd take all the coding skills I've learned, use a good open-source framework, then spend some time building a leaner, cleaner, faster, better-written site.

Comment

Originally posted by B View Post
          This will be harsh, but I'm assuming you're asking for honest feedback.

The site is cluttered, slow and chaotic. The writing includes multiple spelling mistakes, punctuation errors, capitalization problems, poor grammar and odd collections of SEO words littering the pages in nonsensical phrases. From the horizontally condensed type in your logo to the random resizing bugs, fuzzy images and navigation menu that doesn't work right (in either iOS or on my desktop machine), the site is a train wreck.

I realize you've spent a whole lot of time on it and, as you mention on the site, you built it from scratch. I admire your effort, but it's just not working out well. There are very few clients who can afford (or need) dynamic, built-from-scratch sites. They're extremely time-consuming to build and program, which is the very reason modifiable frameworks and templates exist -- they don't require a reinvention of the wheel each time a new client comes along.

I'm certain this has been a learning exercise for you, but part of that lesson should be the realization that you went overboard on this site. It's complexity has seemingly overwhelmed your efforts.

Just a suggestion, but if I were you, I'd take all the coding skills I've learned, use a good open-source framework, then spend some time building a leaner, cleaner, faster, better-written site.

Thanks b

Oh yes i knew most of these things were coming , my idea was not to build from scratch for every customer the reason i did it was to learn faster , however now i sit with two problems , i actually am getting alot of clients as you will see from my portfolio updates , so my time for the things i need to do is not there , also ios isnt prevalent where i live , but it will be and i have no tool to test for it emulators dont really work . I admitedly have learnt some things from templates in which i can apply to my own site ( many of my speed issues are actually due to poor poor coding. ) . The other thing is the seo bug has hit me now and man i cannot leave it alone haha. I believe ive known all these issues, i just needed to hear it from somebody else.

But i believe that i will keep this site and slowly chip away at the things you guys mentioned , i need it to be mine . The more i learn the more it will show.

Comment

Originally posted by John G View Post
            If I'm reading it all right.
            On the initial view: Everything looks wrong and pixelated (first problem, even the buggy version of this could at least look correct).

I've played around with the site, but the visuals make me think it's all wrong, but as it works, it doesn't move as expected. If what I think right, it's moving left right up down depending on where you click on the menu vs. where you are at in the menu tree. If that's wrong, my bad (I did that back in on my 2005 GD site final, to much not applause).
            Some of the UI is wrong also.
            Home -> About us = nothing.
            Services to profile click , sometimes doesn't get rid of the drop down menu.

There is some programming things you could make up for transitions between x2 an y3, but you haven't hit that quite yet.

Thanks for your input , my time is so limited but i really do understand like a simple thing i learnt about animation function vs a class change and the effect it had on a phones memory usage . the site was never meant to be a once of i think i will just consistently grow and get better bit by bit. I know i could smash out a lovely template in a few days , but now where is the challenge in that.

I agree with all of what you said thank you also for you input

Comment

It is somewhat annoying that you use the title attribute on your images. It displays useless information, when I hover it hover over them.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
              Working...
              X