Landing Page Redirect

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landing Page Redirect

I have got a splash page I built out for a site but it has animations not adapted for mobile, and was wondering if there was a way to only redirect desktop users to this splash page and take the rest to the home page that they clicked on (I have the splash set as a redirect for first time viewers attempting to reach the home page). This is a WordPress site but I have significant knowledge on customizing files within WordPress. Thanks!

Hi Zack and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Do you know how annoying splash pages are? Just in general? Especially animated ones that make you wait until it's done doing its dance for the go-to-home-page link?
      If I'm not in dire need of something from that one particular source, I don't bother waiting. I don't think I'm alone.

Comment

Off the top of my head, I can think of at least two ways to do it.

Mostly likely the cleanest way is with a conditional .htaccess redirect, but if you haven't worked with .htaccess, it could be confusing to write.

Another way might be to include Javascript on the initial page that redirects smaller pixel-sized displays to a mobile page (or the real home page). For example the following might work (haven't tested it).

Code:
        <script type="text/javascript">
          <!--
          if (screen.width <= 750) {
            window.location = "http://yoursite/mobile_page.html";
          }
          //-->
        </script>
        .htaccess would be better, though, since the server itself would handle the redirect rather than relying on the client machine to do so.

It can get a little involved depending on what you want to do, so here's a Google search that ought to start you out: http://bit.ly/2hlkULW

Comment

^^^, don't do it through javascript (I can't believe I'm defending javascript and this is one of it's detractors). Just don't, 301 redirects (server side (httaccess)) are where to go. Search that and don't look back.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
          Working...
          X