Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much should I charge to add an e-commerce page to a website?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much should I charge to add an e-commerce page to a website?

Hello,
    I moved recently to Switzerland and I have no idea how the prices work. I was asked to add a page to a website, this page will be about an event where people could download stuff, buy tickets and give an evaluation.
    I don't want to charge too much or too little, I don't know what to do... any ideas? It doesn't matter if the prices are not from Switzerland, I just want to have an idea of how much to charge.

Also, the website is made in the CMS TYPO3, that would make the job harder because I would have to learn this app...

Thank you in advance for your replies!

In essence, you charge what you feel it's worth to you to do the work.

That might not sound like a real answer, but it's exactly the right answer. If you need to make, say, 80 Swiss Francs per hour in order to live, pay the rent, buy food, pay for transportation, etc., you need to estimate how many hours will be spent on the project and multiply it by 80 Francs. If the client can't afford it, that's too bad. I don't know what the cost of living is in Switzerland, and I don't know your living expenses and expectations, but you really can't charge less than what you'll need to live on.

Of course most any rate is negotiable, for various reasons. For example, if you really want to do the job for personal reasons, well, maybe you lower your rate a bit. If you really don't want a particular job, you might raise the rate to make it worth your while. In the end, though, the goal is a fair exchange of your time and skill for whatever payment you think is needed and that you're worth.

I see way too many designers take on freelance work who are afraid to turn down jobs because the payment is too low. However, the fact of the matter is that, unless you're just engaging in a hobby, you need to turn a reasonable profit. Only you can decide what that minimum amount of profit is. If an inadequate number of people can afford your minimum rates, you need a different line of work.

Comment

You having to learn the app to do the work doesn't particularly enter into the equation, other than perhaps to disqualify yourself as not having the correct skillset to provide the client with what they need.
      According to a buddy of mine living there now, the living expenses are very much higher than in the US, but you learn quickly to make do with less ''stuff''. If you were home, what would you charge? Then double it maybe. Or maybe only 1.5 it. Check the exchange rate.

Comment

Hi Yg123148 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

The prices differ based on the company's and the options they provide for an e-commerce website. the best way is to ask from different companies and compare the prices

Comment

Hi Webone and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
            Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Clipping shop
              Reply to 3D view of a logo
              Clipping shop
              sorry to say, I don't think that you know Photoshop pretty well. Because this type of design can be made through Photoshop. Beside this you can google it and can find any other software you like.
              Today, 11:11 AM
            • B
              Reply to Briefs
              B
              I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all answer to your question. It depends on the company, its culture, the marketing person, the designer and the project at hand.

I oversee both the...
              Today, 09:50 AM
            • pers0n
              Reply to Portfolio usage of work
              pers0n
              Well the work would be work I did. For example lets say I designed someone's logo, poster or website and they want me to take it down.
              Today, 09:25 AM
            • MinaZee
              Comment on Logo Feedback
              MinaZee
              Thanks Glitchin , and i will.
              Today, 06:32 AM
            • Woodenpablo
              Briefs
              Woodenpablo
              What's the general consensus on how to interpret briefs written by a marketing manager or director etc? I was in a meeting at work where I interpreted the brief incorrectly and got a critised for it....
              Today, 04:43 AM
            GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X