Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just launched a website for my first client! Please review & comment!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just launched a website for my first client! Please review & comment!

Hi everyone,

My name is Spencer Davidson. I'm from the Eastern Shore of Maryland, and I am currently finishing up my degree in computer science with a focus in web design. I recently had the opportunity to create a wordpress site for a new political organization in California via a mutual connection who acted as a mentor through the process.

womenrun.org

This is the first website I have created besides class projects and such. I would really appreciate any comments or critique of the site, and I am really looking to improve so don't hold back your criticism! Thanks for taking the time to check out my first site!!

Cheers!

Hi Fishbird and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

For the first website is nice. I only think the template that you use is it's too simple. Do you need do try templates of wordpress

Comment

Rita thanks for checking out the site! I agree it's a fairly simple template, but the client wanted a clean, professional design since it is for a political group. Not you what you mean by try templates of wordpress, but that is what this website is created on. Anyway, thanks again for the review!!

Comment

This is something you likely weren't hired to think about, but from a marketing perspective, it's a bit optimistic to expect people to donate money to an Internet site purporting to be something that it might very well not be. People are justifiably skeptical about giving money away to things they're not sure about and that might be scams.

I don't know what other kinds of marketing this organization is doing -- perhaps the website is just in support of those efforts. Still, it would really help with their credibility if they got photos and endorsements on the website of a few high-profile Republican women and men senators and representatives.

Comment

Originally posted by B View Post
            This is something you likely weren't hired to think about, but from a marketing perspective, it's a bit optimistic to expect people to donate money to an Internet site purporting to be something that it might very well not be. People are justifiably skeptical about giving money away to things they're not sure about and that might be scams.

I don't know what other kinds of marketing this organization is doing -- perhaps the website is just in support of those efforts. Still, it would really help with their credibility if they got photos and endorsements on the website of a few high-profile Republican women and men senators and representatives.
            I do understand where you're coming from with that B, but you're correct in assuming that was not in my job description for this one. I was simply the developer and had a few bits on input on the design. As far as I know this organization is doing the majority of their marketing in person at conventions and such for now, and the website is more of a place to send them to donate or get more info about them. They are also just getting started as a new organization and that's why there are no endorsed candidates on the page yet, though I do think it will be strictly women when the time comes. I really appreciate you checking out the site!! If you have any critique from a design or functionality standpoint I would also love to hear that!

Comment

Hi B good to see you again

Ok so i looked through the site i cant comment on the republican politics stuff because we dont have that here so il come in with what i saw.

Its a bit slow on the load , the background in particularly came in late for me... I personally dont like that style of design where you have a website sitting on a background.

The site design style is rather old i did a npo site ( well im still busy with it) ( but i will have it critted here when im done) and i googled best npo sites and they all use much more modern image orientated designs. Its also very sharp and draws the eyes away i would overlay it some..

The thing with these sites is credibility , like b said people are sceptical when it comes to giving money away and rightly so... i know on the site im doing they have a registered npo number , tax number displayed and a few other details specific to our country displayed on every header to prove "we are not a scam" . Because thats essentially the first thing in my eyes donation sites need to answer.

Other than that you structure in the form of tags eg <h1> are not showing the things you want to show up for in a search i didnt even look at the meta tags or urls but on-page seo it a surprisingly powerful factor.

Get a favicon

When i click on your three main features ( which the links should be more pronouned ) The

Comment

Originally posted by Risen28 View Post

Ok so i looked through the site i cant comment on the republican politics stuff because we dont have that here so il come in with what i saw.

Get a favicon

When i click on your three main features ( which the links should be more pronouned ) The
                Risen, thanks for taking the time to check out the site and giving your critique, it's really appreciated!
                Like I mentioned, I had little input on the design of the site and everything I did change in that sense was overseen/revised by the designer. I was mainly hired to develop the site and, being very new to the industry, I could't turn down the opportunity even if the subject wasn't my cup of tea.
                That being said I completely see what you're saying about the style being rather old looking, I honestly agree. As far as search-ability, the client is still working to gather headshots, etc. from the candidates and did not want to make the site searchable until that is updated, so no SEO has been done to the site yet. Favicon is a really good suggestion and is noted as something I need talk over with the designer! I believe your last comment got cut off, but I am interested in what other suggestions you have for the site.

Thanks again for your critique and suggestions, they will be put to good use!!
                Last edited by FishBird; 09-26-2017, 07:34 PM.

Comment

• It has already be mentioned, but definitely add a favicon, not having one is like saying: "Hey I m new to making websites". The elephant with the star might make a nice favicon.
                  • I do think you can spice things up a bit by using font-awesome; http://fontawesome.io/
                  • In the 'about us' section you have an list of 'support' in 'mission'. I would show that as an ordered list, much easier to read.
                  • The majority of the site is a big textwall. I would suggest giving it more 'feel' with more visual images/icons and less text.
                  PS: After you finish this site run away from this discriminating organisation and never look back .

Comment

Rmo, thanks for the suggestions!! I mentioned the favicon to the designer and she is going to be making a decision on what to use for it. Also bookmarked fontawesome, thanks for the resource!! I've checked out a few different font/icon sites, but hadn't been to this one yet. Good call on making the mission an ordered list, I agree it will be much more readable that way.

Haha and yes, I will probably be attempting to stay away from all political clients in the future!

Thanks again for your review, this forum has been great so far!

Comment

Originally posted by FishBird View Post
                      I mentioned the favicon to the designer and she is going to be making a decision on what to use for it.
                      I thought you were the designer.
                      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Originally posted by KitchWitch View Post

I thought you were the designer.

No ma'am, I assisted in the design and I did all the developing of the website. I mentioned I worked with a mentor through the process, she was the main designer and everything I changed in the design was first run by her and approved. She was hired by womenrun and then hired me independent of them to develop, also helping me out by getting me some real world/client exp.

Comment

• KitchWitch
                          KitchWitch commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Okay, thanks for clarifying. Usually we do not allow crit on work posted by anyone but the artist. But you had mentioned the mentor and being involved in the project. If the designer you're talking about is the mentor, I think that's okay.

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                      Working...
                      X