Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Consider Website Speed in the Early Stages of the Design?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Consider Website Speed in the Early Stages of the Design?

I'm curious how many designers think about page speed when initially designing a website. Or is this just something you would leave up to the developer, or the development phase of a website build if developing yourself?

I've been designing and coding websites since the early '90s. Back then, speed concerns and minimal file sizes were crucial because people were still using slow dial-up modems. Every image would be squeezed down as far as possible to ensure the fastest download. Even the code itself would be optimized for speedy transfer.

Things have changed since then, and I no longer insist on every page and its images weighing in below 50 kB, but I see far too many designers not being at all concerned with download speed and file sizes. We all routinely run into needlessly bloated web pages of several megabytes..

As for speed and file size being taken into consideration from the beginning, of course a designer should do that. Any design project should be thought through all the way to completion -- even when the actual coding will be done by someone other than the designer. No one should expect others to clean up one's messes that could have been avoided by better and more conscientious planning.
    Last edited by B; 11-03-2017, 06:20 PM. Reason: Fixed sloppy writing

Comment

I agree completely. I can't believe it when I see images on sites weighing in between 1-3MB each.

Comment

Hi Finleylure and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Iím for smaller filesizes as well. Something else to consider is how your site will have an impact on the cost of data for mobile phone users.

Comment

Definitely! You don't want to overload your design. Best thing to do is create an initial design and then ask for web developers opinion to see if there is any red flags so you know not to incorporate this into your final design. Hope this helps!

Comment

I think size is still a concern for 3g mobile devices or those with a limited data plan. So it still is a consideration. A really slow loading site could affect SEO and viewers who are impatient may leave the site before it is fully loaded. I think when designing to take in consideration your target audience and what you are trying to express on your site.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Craig B
                Reply to Help me explaining my job in my portfolio!
                Craig B
                I think what you described is fairly typical of most jobs. I'm not saying it's identical but I do web design, email design, interactive apps, collateral, booth graphics, signage, posters, advertising,...
                Today, 10:46 AM
              • Colton819
                Reply to Getting a image ready for print
                Colton819
                So I tried doing Pantone colors but obviously they just couldnít match close enough. The image I posted is actually a vector format I created a raster format then converted to vector in illustrator. I...
                Today, 08:47 AM
              • leaagg
                Help me explaining my job in my portfolio!
                leaagg
                Hello,

I am a French designer working for a Turkish company (in turkey).
                I am now currently working on my updated portfolio because my main goal is QUIT !! The working conditions in...
                Today, 07:57 AM
              • PrintDriver
                Reply to Tours Travel company logo, what do you think?
                PrintDriver
                Do people still use QR codes?
                Two phones ago I downloaded an app just to check that a client's QR code was linking properly when printed. 4 years later now, and that app has never been used again....
                Today, 07:06 AM
              • PrintDriver
                Comment on Getting a image ready for print
                PrintDriver
                Way too much sharing there, hank..........
                Today, 06:51 AM
              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
              Working...
              X