SEO subdomain vs. domain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SEO subdomain vs. domain?

I hand coded my portfolio site. It has grown and is pretty big with a lot of time put into it. It also has sedimental value to me and as far as showing artwork its great but It's not really a service focused marketing kind of site. I really don't want to tear it apart or discard it but I want to drive business with me that I can blog from without coding new pages. I want to build a WordPress site using www. as the subdomain. I could move my current site to the subdomain or build the new Wordpress site on the subdomain

What is better SEO wise a domain or www subdomain or is there no difference.

Thanks

Originally posted by Bill View Post
    ...I really don't want to tear it apart or discard it but I want to drive business with me that I can blog from without coding new pages.
    I'm having trouble understanding what you're saying, so I can't address some of the particulars. To the main point of how or whether to use a www a subdomain, well, most places either redirect the primary domain to the www subdomain or vice versa. The standard convention is that using either will take a visitor to the same website.

A www subdomain can certainly be used as the location for a separate website, but it goes against convention and might, subsequently, be a bit confusing to both visitors and search engines. I'm not understanding why you'd choose to do this anyway. Placing your old sentimental website into a subdirectory instead of a subdomain seems, at least to me, the best option. Depending on how you structured all your links, this could either be easy or a bunch of work. Then again, depending on your linking conventions, the same could be true of moving things to a subdomain.

If, for whatever reason, you prefer the subdomain option, why would you want to use www anyway? Like I said, it violates convention and introduces the possibility of confusion. If you want to use a subdomain, depending on your hosting company, you could create a unique subdomain that wouldn't have that convention-breaking problem, like oldsite.newsite.xyz instead of www.newsite.xyz.

Comment

According to me Domain or Subdomain both are equal, google crawled them equally and on the basis of keywords your rank is improve.is better for SEO. For SEO Prospective if it any matter than it is Keywords Ranking.if you are using blog as an subdomain of your website or you can also use it as an another domain both are same if your Keywords does not rank
      Last edited by KitchWitch; 11-20-2017, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Hi Endive and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• RMo
          Reply to Please review my -responsive design- website
          RMo
          Hey,

some quick things:
          • your page is just a tiny bit too wide. There is a scrollbar at the bottom. That shouldn't be there
          • add a favicon
          • there is a massive amount of space after loading
          Today, 03:18 PM
        • Bilberryblue
          Reply to Photography peeps, I need your help!
          Bilberryblue
          Thanks for the reply. The one who told me this already played the game, and he said that a puzzle would appear once changed to b and w. He said a graphic artist or an app could do this.

Today, 10:41 AM
        • kemingMatters
          Comment on Photography peeps, I need your help!
          kemingMatters
          You might be able to do something with a photocopier, as some colours dropout (yellows) and others turn darker than you'd think
          Today, 10:06 AM
        • KitchWitch
          Reply to Photography peeps, I need your help!
          KitchWitch
          Hi Bilberryblue and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
          Today, 09:20 AM
        • KitchWitch
          Reply to ROOTS Logo
          KitchWitch
          Hi Biabarrackus and welcome to GDF.

This thread is over ten years old, but thanks for the input.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain...
          Today, 09:18 AM
        GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X