Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PanToshi
    Comment on Custom social icons
    PanToshi
    The "backgrounds" are part of the logo.
    Today, 01:28 PM
  • Possumgal
    Reply to Zazzle, CafePress, Etsy, OH MY!
    Possumgal
    I don't know about CafePress, but I've had products on Zazzle for three or four years, and have sold one item. One. On their forum, one guy said that unless you have a separate website linked to the Zazzle...
    Today, 01:11 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Are you able to read the text?
    KitchWitch
    I agree with what's already been said. If you're going to use an image of someone getting a vaccination, the person giving it should be wearing gloves.
    Today, 01:07 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Custom social icons
    KitchWitch
    It doesn't matter if you're "being respectable" to their branding. It either falls within their branding guidelines or it doesn't. Yours doesn't.
    Today, 01:04 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Opinions on My Logo?
    KitchWitch
    Hi Arielr190 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 01:02 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSS Positioning Question

I'm one of the many web designers who started out learning to design with tables and knew what CSS was, but never really ventured into it (well, the positioning part of it which is confusing me now).

I use Macromedia Dreamweaver 8 and have used Dreamweaver for about 4-5 years now (Not quite at a professional level since I started in junior high). I don't handcode my CSS obviously, but have used Dreamweaver's Integrated CSS panel.

Every website design I have created thus far has been positioned using tables and the only CSS I used was with text styles and color. I have positioned several elements on my current design (images) using the "left" and "top" positioning attributes. I can see how this is a cleaner way than tables, but what do you do when you want to have a background color behind text? In tables, all I would have to do was change the background color of the table cell. How would I add a background color for part of my design using CSS? As of right now I have created a 1x1 pixel image (with the color that I want) and have used CSS to change the size of the image to about the size I would want it behind my text. This just seems a little odd because I am almost positive there is a better way...(I always stay away from stretching images).

Any help or guidance would be appreciated!

Thank You!

it's hard to answer specifically without seeing your code, but basically

.whateverclass {
    background: #000;
    }

<div class="whateverclass">
    Your text here.
    </div>

http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_background.asp
    You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

Originally posted by EC
      it's hard to answer specifically without seeing your code, but basically

.whateverclass {
      background: #000;
      }

<div class="whateverclass">
      Your text here.
      </div>

http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_background.asp
      But if I did that, would I also be able to define the height and width of the text? Would this code create a color background or only a highlight effect?

Edit: I just tried this and it seems to have only created a highlight effect which I was hoping it wouldn't do.

Edit 2: Nevermind! It only "looked" like it had the highlight effect in Dreamweaver. When I finally went to look at it in Firefox, it looked the way it should. Thanks for the help guys. If only Dreamweaver made it look like it would in a real browser...
      Last edited by ShiftMedia; 08-10-2006, 09:43 PM.

Comment

It's the background color for that whole class. You can assign height, width, padding, margins, etc. to a class, but more likely you would assign those to a parent div id (or table or whatever you're using for layout).

It's always helpful to see the code to give you a proper answer.

But an example of what I *think* you're after:

#textbox {
        height: 300px;
        width: 200px;
        padding: 10px;
        }

.gray {
        background: #333;
        }

then in the body,

<div id="textbox" class="gray">
        Your Text Here
        </div>

You can assign a class multiple times in the document but an ID only once (they are used for layout primarily).
        You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
        Working...
        X