Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Cosmo
    Reply to Anybody use a Mac Mini?
    Cosmo
    You can get a 21" iMac for $1099 with 8gb of memory (which is plenty). I would do that and then if you feel like you need more memory down the road, upgrade it. You can get 8gb of memory for under...
    Today, 05:50 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Zoo Business Card Critique Wanted
    <b>
    I like the look, but that isn't the same as saying it's right for the job.

If the card were actually for the Bronx Zoo, you'd need to consider the current branding of the zoo, then make your...
    Today, 05:25 PM
  • Yehoshua
    Personal Logo Suggestions
    Yehoshua
    Developed a personal logo. Suggestions or comments? Thanks!

JK for my initials....
    Today, 05:16 PM
  • Yehoshua
    Reply to Cover Layout Feedback
    Yehoshua
    That's what I was looking for, thanks man. Do you have any tutorials or guides you could show me that could help me better understand typography and layout? That's probably been my biggest struggle thus...
    Today, 05:13 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Comment on Happy Halloween!!!!
    kemingMatters
    That reminds me of a Newfy joke lol
    Today, 04:42 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For better or worse?

This is my old banner design. http://www.ocean-discovery.org/

Now i made a new flashbanner that i intend to use only on the front page. The other pages will have a static banner using the same wreck picture as the flash banner as to much flash can get annoying.

here is the flash banner http://www.ocean-discovery.org/index3.htm

Is it for better or worse?

Suggestions on how to imporove please. Also looking for suggestions how to imporve the site overall. My next improvement will be to redisgn the frontpage, t has to many boxes i think and the text to small. All the other pages will get larger text as well.

I like the new one better.
    The premier New York Rangers forum on the web

Comment

new one's better. It's not fantastic but it's simple and not over done (like so much flash is). Plus the old one was kinda drab.
      In this post there are 47 people, none of them can be seen.

Comment

i like the new one too, but the navigation tabs at the top are really hard to read. They need to have a background or change their color. Overall the site looks nice, its now a matter of refining.
        "When you come to a fork in the road, take it." -Yogi Berra
        [I]

Comment

Yeah, that's true, until you mouseover'em, they're VERY hard to read.

Comment

Agreed on all counts, I think the new one has more life to it, not to mention I also agree about the nav being too hard to read until hovered over.

I noticed that Internet Explorer is locking the Flash until you click on it....due to the Eolas/Active X block, look it up. Use SWFObject on the Flash (look it up too), it'll get around that nicely, validate the XHTML and with a little simple manipulation, you can present an alternate graphic/nav to those without Flash.

Comment

Odd, mine doesn't do that, and I have auto-updates on, so I must be current.

Comment

Even though it's supposed to, it doesn't always update on some browsers. We had to manually update one computer for the Flash block, though another computer got the update automatically.

Internet Explorer 7 has it regardless, so good to be ready for that.

Comment

Guys, thank you so much for the kind advice. I also agree the menu is hard to read, i will correct it.

Regarding the flash locking up i have wondered how to avoid that. Patrick could you please explain more in detail how i should alter the flash file to avoid it?

Comment

I use an IE shell though. I can block or unblock it from the toolbar.

Comment

Originally posted by Igor
                      Guys, thank you so much for the kind advice. I also agree the menu is hard to read, i will correct it.

Regarding the flash locking up i have wondered how to avoid that. Patrick could you please explain more in detail how i should alter the flash file to avoid it?
                      You don't alter the Flash, you alter the way you place it on the page.

SWFObject: http://blog.deconcept.com/swfobject/

Comment

Thanks! That site seems to explain it very well. I will play around with it tomorrow.

Comment

Trying to do my homework. I have a new version now with a more visible menu (i think).

http://www.ocean-discovery.org/index5.html

I also included the SWFobject script. It seems to solve the issue with tha flash file being blocked. There is one thing i am not sure if i understand correctley. If the visitor donīt have flash installed i want to redirect to a page without flash. There is a parameter called redirectUrl that should take care of this. The following is my script, will this work? Have i done the redirectURL script correct? Can anyone that does not have flash test this please? Can i disable flash temporaraly to test this BTW? If working correctley it should redirect to http://www.ocean-discovery.org

<script type="text/javascript">
                          var so = new SWFObject("flashOD-final.swf", "movie", "790", "163", "6", "#336699");
                          so.addParam("loop", "false");
                          so.setAttribute('redirectUrl', 'http://www.ocean-discovery.org/');
                          so.write("flashcontent");
                          </script>

EDIT: I uninstalled the flash player and the redirect seem to works as intended.
                          Last edited by Igor; 08-15-2006, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Definitely more readable. If you wanted the nav to stand out a little bit more, I think it'd be smart to at least experiment with matching the light blue in "Ocean" (nav text looks just a little darker than it).

Also, if you wanted to avoid a redirect altogether, you could place an alternative graphic in between your Flash div (like a regular image banner and traditional text links) that will show if the user doesn't have Flash installed. Accessible for everyone

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                            Working...
                            X