Action Script 1.0 or 2.0 ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Action Script 1.0 or 2.0 ?

Ok, so Im getting back into flash. (see my post in macromedia section)

I really want to dig into Actionscript now. I want to learn it from the ground up, be able to code from scratch.

I get the functioning of the scripts pretty well, it always makes perfect sense to me when explained through a tutorial. I also took a Basic class back in highschool and did very well. So I think Im definately ready for programming structure and the frame of mind it takes to use it.

Should I first start learning with actionscipt 1.0 or skip it and start off in 2.0?

Also, I have Flash 8 Pro, but Would an actionscript book written for MX be fine as well? I've seen that The Definative Guide is reccomended a lot, but its for MX, so I'm not sure what you pro's have to say about that.

Any help is much appreciated,

Thanks,

Tony
    "To be is to do" --Socrates.
    "To do is to be" --Jean-Paul Sartre.
    "Do be do be do" --Frank Sinatra

I would just start learning at 2.0. With the advent of ActionScript 2.0, there are some things from 1.0 that have been discontinued. ActionScript 2.0 has a lot more functionality than 1.0 (that's why they've upgraded), so I would start there. Since you have Flash 8 Pro, definitely would learn 2.0 first. It would be like owning Photoshop CS, but learning Photoshop 6. Yeah, you would get the basics from either one, since they are similar, but you won't learn of the features that have been added to CS that enhance your design and such.

It wouldn't hurt to read the definitive Guide, since it will give you a good grounding to step on. Colin Mook (the author of Definitive Guide) also has a book called Essential Actionscript 2.0, which kind of supplements the Definitive Guide. Maybe those two books together would be a great help for you.
    WordPress Designer and theme developer. KlongDesigns - helping bloggers and non-technical folks claim their space on the internet.

Comment

Thanks resdog, I've ordered the definitive guide, and I'll be getting essential actionscripting once I've gotten a good foundation going. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Why not start with Actionscript 3? Isn't that the current version?
        You want it when!? Well in that case, let me pull my magic wand out of my ass and take care of that for you.

Comment

I read about that, its only in Flex, which I havent read much about, but I think its the new program for creating flash type documents. RIA is what the adobe page says. "Rich internet Applications" guess this is the future?

I bought Definative guide to MX actionscript. And after I get that down, will either jump to 2.0 or straight to 3.0...... give me a few years

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
          Working...
          X