• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of monotype corsiva on website

Hi all,

I am currently using Monotype Corsiva for the body text on this website -
    http://www.theredlands.co.uk as it is the font I used for the logo. However
    I have the nagging feeling that I am sacrificing readability in order to be consistent. Would anybody advise I change font to something like verdana or trebuchet?

Cheers

p.s anybody know how I could achieve the same layout on the services page without using fixed positions for the text boxes and images?
    Webmaster for:

don't worry about the fonts...
    you better correct photo colours!
    www.webgamma.net | Exclusive Web & Graphic design freelancer portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by cojemeachin
      don't worry about the fonts...
      you better correct photo colours!
      You must be seeing something I'm not, what do you think is wrong with the colours?
      Webmaster for:

Comment

it's the red.

Red is one of those colors that is most tempermental between monitors. On some it will look very cherry bright and on others it will look nearly brown. It's one of those colors I try to talk poeple out of using for full pages, just because of this fact. It's not so bad as accent colors.

The other colors do not seem to carry the same infliction as the red/yellow family of colors do. Blue would just be tinted to green or purple, Green would go from sage to olive.

As far as fonts go, if you are not using an embeded font (Ie: being called from the server) then it is up to the person's computer whether or not your text is being displayed the way you want.

standard fonts are vernada, ariel, trebuchet, helvectia, sans-serif. (I'm sure I missed one in there, but it's way early in the morning.)

You can use css to class a font-family this will allow you to use choice fonts and if the user does not have it, then you go to the next font in line. This allows a little more control.

Comment

I'm a bit confused now I must admit!
          cojemeachin referred to photo colours that needed correcting although you are suggesting that the red I use for the body of the website (and the background?) might display differently to how I intend it on other user's screens?

As far as fonts go I was just looking for a critique of my 1st choice font (corsiva) and whether people felt it was legible enough to be used on a website?

Cheers
          Webmaster for:

Comment

=) did I mention that it's way early here?

On high resolution screens the font is nearly impossible to read. If you want that type of font - then make the text larget. However, I, personally would stick to the basic fonts and leave the design to the graphics.

Your main photos are fine, but the guest book is unreadable. I can't tell what is a signature to put my mouse over to read. Nice effect though.

sorry,

Comment

i spent one min in photoshop to correct it. now it looks much better, much brightly, is much sated, an alive photo!!!

http://www.webgamma.net/1.jpg

seeya!
              Last edited by cojemeachin; 09-28-2006, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Drazan is absolutely right! The red colour makes me angry and tired, change it!

Comment

tired and angry you sure its the web page
                  When I awoke today, suddenly nothing happened
                  But in my dreams, I slew the dragon

Comment

cojemeachin, your interpretation of the photo now has a lot of hot spots from the original - at least according to my monitor.

Really though, if you can - look at the web page from a few different monitors and resolutions. I've an older monitor that I use as a CRT test as well as a 1024x786 test. Since my laptop and other computer has high res screens.

<< lives in a geek house

Comment

Originally posted by Drazan
                      =) did I mention that it's way early here?

On high resolution screens the font is nearly impossible to read. If you want that type of font - then make the text larget. However, I, personally would stick to the basic fonts and leave the design to the graphics.

Your main photos are fine, but the guest book is unreadable. I can't tell what is a signature to put my mouse over to read. Nice effect though.

sorry,
                      Yeah I feared that might be the case with the font, I think I'll change it.
                      I see what you are saying about the picture on the front page, it is towards the dull side. And as for the guestbook that is a whole other can o' worms! I want to make it into a turning page flash thingy with high res images but am lacking the requisite skill at present.
                      Webmaster for:

Comment

Drazan i got APPLE CINEMA 21' 1280*1024

Comment

Originally posted by Drazan
                          cojemeachin, your interpretation of the photo now has a lot of hot spots from the original - at least according to my monitor.

Really though, if you can - look at the web page from a few different monitors and resolutions. I've an older monitor that I use as a CRT test as well as a 1024x786 test. Since my laptop and other computer has high res screens.

<< lives in a geek house
                          well i said i spent one min. to make it looks better. there is the only one way to make it the best loking - REPHOTO IT!
                          Last edited by cojemeachin; 09-28-2006, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback guys and girls, much appreciated!
                            Webmaster for:

Comment

cojemeachin, it's my monitor's interpretation, not your skill at photoshopping that caused some images to appear that they have hot spots instead of bright areas. Nothing against you in that post. Just refering to my monitor reference that I posted earlier. No worries, k?

=)
                              Jade << should learn not to post until waking up.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X