Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• jessica21
    Steampunk Tea Brand Logo Critique- Trying to choose final concept
    jessica21
    Hello All,

Background:
    I am making a logo for my boyfriend's tea company, Starlight Tea. It sells high quality loose leaf tea, will have a website, and be in a local cafe (it's more...
    Today, 05:52 AM
  • Buda
    How to cut down on meetings?
    Buda
    I have a client who I am going to design a book for. I met with her about 4-5 months ago to discuss. She emails me each month to tell me she hasn't advanced any further on the project. She's been overseas...
    Today, 05:25 AM
  • skribe
    Reply to Crisp web graphics, how?
    skribe
    It sounds to me like you are hitting a retina issue. When I look at your site the graphics look fine to me on my 25" monitor. I just googled "SquareSpace Retina Support" and quickly...
    Today, 05:24 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to First job out of college, totally overwhelmed and need advice
    Buda
    I have to add, please ask questions if you are unsure. Even confirmation is good so that you know you are on track.

I have a junior designer that never asks questions. He just battles through...
    Today, 04:38 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Crisp web graphics, how?
    Buda
    I agree with b, make the images the size you require, then save for web choosing a fairly high setting if that is important to you.
    Today, 04:34 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do people even USE Microsoft FrontPage these days?

I was recently called about a Graphic/Web Designer position and the listed required skills didn't include HTML, CSS, etc., only Microsoft FrontPage. Do people even use this program for web design these days? Should I be concerned that they wouldn't have the professional software I'd need to do the job?
    wieNerDog

Well, the University I work for recently ended its Macromedia studio site license, and their recommended replacement was Frontpage.

Fortunately, the department I work in had the good sense to immediately go out and get me a Dreamweaver license. So, I guess some people must still use it.

Comment

very few. It's been discontinued now as well. I'd steer well clear of a position that was only interested in software knowledge

Comment

ew
        You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

hehe, the only reason that I use it is to strip out bad formatting.

copy+ Paste + text only = only <p> paragraph </p>.

Then I take that code and place it in my Cute editor to add in CSS and formatting tags.

Makes life soooo much easier when the website was originally built in Word. I've even cleaned up a FP mess with FP

Other than that the only other time I've used it is to "update" a couple sites that I only did the template for. blech.

Comment

on the other hand, if you go in showing a knowledge of actually being a professional designer it could put you to the top of the list of candidates, i'd say if you're looking for work it's at least worth looking in to
            You see, whenever I start feeling sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead. True story.

Comment

Frontpage has been replaced by a program called "Expressions Web" I use it for it's excellent drag & drop ftp feature. I've never used it for designing a site so I have no idea what kind of code it generates.

Comment

Some of our stores will design sites on their own, and are more than happy to use Frontpage. Just so long as I don't have to mess with it afterwards.

Comment

I think Microsoft bought the software - that is to be Frontpage's successor - from another company, so it has potential to be decent.

The very last time I touched Frontpage was when a friend asked me to go to his acquaintance's home to fix something on his website (a little $$$ in it for me). I got there and he pulled up his FrontPage site. My friend must have been able to read my expression because he had a face that read "Don't you say anything!"

The guy thought that moving some images out of his directory (not "that" many images) would improve site performance (sitewide). I was about to argue, but I wanted to get out of there and collect my $20 so I'm like "Yeah, sure."

Comment

Believe it or not, I know of at least 2 that still use MS FrontRage. However the founder of this forum is the only person I've ever seen use it and get good coding out of it. I dunno what special tricks he knows about the thing, but he got pretty good coding out of it. Any other attempt I've seen using it was just painful to view source on.
                    The premier New York Rangers forum on the web

Comment

If you use the code view then you can get perfect code out of it. Same with all these programs - if you use the WYSIWYG features, you'll get bad, bloated code. - FP creating some of the worst I've seen. GoLive is quick on it's heels mind

The text editors i have used produce great code

As Lee Trevino once said - "it's not the arrow, it's the Indian" (probably not PC now though - sorry!)

Comment

If all they asked for is Frontpage, they have no clue what they are doing. I would avoid them.

Comment

I've interviewed on jobs that wouldn't consider me because I never used Screamweaver in my life. They couldn't grasp the concept that there was nothing it did that I couldn't do directly in notepad.
                          The premier New York Rangers forum on the web

Comment

Originally posted by JPnyc
                            I've interviewed on jobs that wouldn't consider me because I never used Screamweaver in my life. They couldn't grasp the concept that there was nothing it did that I couldn't do directly in notepad.
                            Do you think that was because they didn't understand that if you quit or dropped dead then they could just open everything in dreamweaver anyway and wouldn't have to trawl through code in notepad? I had someone who thought that if I didn't create a site in dreamweaver then he couldn't edit it in dreamweaver, which means he probably shouldn't be editing it anyway, but hey.
                            at best my spelling *and grammar* is crap and at worst it are be carp

Comment

Originally posted by JPnyc
                              I couldnt work for somebody who didn't know. Especially if it was a web position.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X