Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• jr72023
    Reply to My logo attempt (be brutally honest)
    jr72023
    It really looks good. As noted, I am not an artist. The rest of the posters are the pros.

Just curious if a ? in the lower bubble "clue" might not be a little more poignant? Even...
    Today, 01:39 AM
  • Derailed
    Reply to I am SO confused about vehicle wrap design?
    Derailed
    I work for a wrap company. We do almost everything in Illustrator. They send me the templates of the vehicles, although sometimes I don't have to match everything up exactly. Would you be designing...
    Today, 12:16 AM
  • kemingMatters
    Reply to Adobe Illustrator... Object won't select!
    kemingMatters
    Drop shadow is a raster effect, you'll have to look in the appearance palette to remove the effect
    Yesterday, 11:02 PM
  • Pavlo
    Reply to My logo attempt (be brutally honest)
    Pavlo
    I really like the latest version and the concept of the e's facing / speaking with each other. The look and feel is vastly improved and I get an immediate sense of what you are trying to say about the...
    Yesterday, 10:44 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Deaf graphic designers
    KitchWitch
    Hi Signing Toys and welcome to GDF.

If you are looking to hire a deaf graphic designer, please post in the classified section and be sure to include an email address so people can contact...
    Yesterday, 10:26 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to size jpg to actual size

I want to give away a free needlepoint design on my website.

My goal: The design is 20" x 16" actual size. I want the customer to be able to print the design out in the actual size - this would be 6 pages. The customer would then tape the pages together, lay the needlepoint canvas over the design and trace the design onto the canvas. Simple!

My problem: When I export the image from the original file (I use EZGrapher to create the designs), JPG compresses the file and it is no longer the actual size. I tried printing the design from the original file - one page at a time, then scanning it back in and saving each individual page as a JPG but this did not work. JPG, again, slightly compressed each page so that the design ended up a little smaller than actual size. I know this sounds a little picky of me - but I need the graph under the design to print to the exact 10-mesh size of the needlepoint canvas for the customer.

Possible solutions:?? I have contacted EZGrapher with this question and received no help. Is there another way for me to do this? I use homestead to build my site. I am not a brilliant web designer with knowledge of html, etc... I pretty much learn as I go. Is there a simple solution that I am not seeing? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    pbplace

I'm not familiar with EZGrapher but I don't think jpegs are gonna work for this. I would use a downloadable PDF.

Comment

When you're in the print dialog box on the computer, do you have something along the lines of "Scale to fit page" checked on? Try unchecking it, or doing whatever you have to do to have the printer NOT scale the image.

blog/portfolio

Comment

I have no experience with pdf. I tried Adobe's free trial but was unsuccessful. Again, the image was compressed too much. I emailed adobe, asking for technical assistance and explaining what I want to do. Adobe responded by telling me that they do not offer technical assistance for their "free trial" program. This doesn't seem very intelligent of adobe. I am certainly not going to purchase a product, hoping it works for me, just to obtain help. I'm not really sure where to go from here...
        pbplace

Comment

It is not possible to print to the edge of the page. All printers have a gripper that grip the page to move it through printer. Therefore, if your page is exactly 8 1/2 x 11 then it will be resized to make up for the gutter. In order for this to work you would need to figure out the the area the gripper takes up (1/4??) integrate that into your calculations. Is that what your talking about???

Comment

Yes, I know it not possible to print to the edge of the page. My EZGrapher program prints the design to actual size, the design is then cut (the edges that are not printed on) and pasted together to form the complete design. From there the stitcher would either work from the design using a counted stitch method, or - as I want my customers to do - trace the design directly onto the canvas and work from there. EZGrapher is a program specifically for needlework. The printed pages print the graph (this is the for the canvas) and different stitches that may be used. Unfortunately, Homestead - the site I use to design my website - does not support the .EZG files. Even if it did support this type of file, most customers would not be able to open it without installing the EZGrapher program. This is why I need to convert it to a common file type - jpg or pdf. I am absolutely stumped. Now, a thought did occur to me (dangerous, I know). When I export my image from EZGrapher and choose jpeg as the file type, there is a place marked "jpeg compression". The number "2" is already there. I believe I can go up to 250? I'm not sure what this does. Anyone have any ideas on this?
            pbplace

Comment

Honestly, i have never even heard of EZGrapher and wouldn't know where to begin. I would probably export it out of EZG as a JPG at as high of a resolution as possible, and then drop it into Photoshop and check the sizes and scale accordingly. Thus creating your HUGE image you need...
              Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

I don't think the problem or issue is at all what program makes the jpgs, or what it does. Simple matter is, the average non-designer computer user out there has NO ABILITY TO PRINT TILED IMAGES!

So, what you will have to do is this - slice up the image manually into 6 equal parts, then size them down to fit 8'10", rather than 8.5'x11' (to give room for the grippers - the larger margin is usually on the bottom of the page, but actual size varies from printer to printer). Next, instruct to user to print, trim off edges, then put together each image.

That's about the only way to do it, if you want to put it up on the web. If you were sending to other designers, you could just put it in a format that we could easily print in tiles (ie, Illustrator). But not for the public!
                Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                mediamainline.com
                cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                Working...
                X