X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually I have to disagree with you Phoenix. If you are stating that Title Tags and Content don't help much you are dead wrong. Also, outbound links DO NOT help build PR, only inbound links will.

In SEO content is KING, that means, the more you are considered an "Expert" in google's eyes, by posting original content, and a lot of it you will get a higher ranking.

Title tags, anchor text, descriptions and keywords are all vital roles in SEO. If your site is Funneled or "Siloed" as the experts call it, you can be the #1 on every single category. It's all in the organization of the site.
    ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

read my post again, and you will see what i stated content, tags etc. are imps meaning are in fact important but whats MORE important is having backlinks, you can have a site with virtually NO tags and poor content but say thousands of backlinks and your site WILL in fact get lots of traffic, but if you reverse these roles and say you have great content, great tags, etc. etc. and have NO backlinks, your site will pretty much get ZERO hits, now you understand where im coming from

Comment

littlephoenix wrote:
        you can have a site with virtually NO tags
        Virtually impossible considering tags are what make up a web page.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Frag View Post
          Also, outbound links DO NOT help build PR, only inbound links will.
          Not true in a sense. Outbound links to relevant white hat sites do help define your site as white hat and relevant in your category. Don't use too many links though, that can hurt.

Comment

I found this link today on a SEO blog, it's a google guide to SEO. So take it straight from the horses mouth and read it here
            ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

If you are building a list of 70-100 keywords than you are not targeting your audience. You are merely putting yourself in competition with a lot of sites. You should narrow it down significantly to make your leads more likely to convert into paying customers. Also, don't choose the generic keywords that everyone uses, use google's keyword tool to find a few keywords that aren't already saturated. This way you can be more specific on who you want to click on your site. The rest of the more generic terms can be added into the copy of your site.

Comment

Someone forgot to mention fresh content, google loves frsh content the way I love girls in short skirts, even more so for MSN.

Comment

Instead of making a new topic, i have an SEO related question, which could turn into a usefull tip!

I have just finished (more or less!) my website. It uses javascript, and for the first page (index.html) i have a javascript re-direct to my main page, so if you have JS enabled, you'll be re-directed to the proper site straight away, and if not, there is a warning that its advised to turn JS on.

For the link of the main page, what is best as the link? I've read to use keywords in your URL, so something like portfolio.html or graphic-design.html, or would it be ignored by search engines as its a re-directed link?

Comment

If it is a hard URL link like http://www.graphicdesignforum.com then you make your anchor text the description. So if it links to your home page the anchor text would be like "Mark Thatchers Graphic Design Portfolio" or something along those lines. granted I have no idea what your last name is

All this does is move your PR from your front page to your internal home page, plus it serves as internal linking. Just make sure your title tags, desc and keywords on your internal page and home page are the bomb and you should be good.

I do remember something in SEO class about 404/403 redirects but for the life of me I can't find it in my workbook.

Comment

Its set like this:

"www.markgoodyear.co.uk" which redirects too "www.markgoodyear.co.uk/index4.html"

but i'm able to set up a sub-domain which could be "www.portfolio.markgoodyear.co.uk" which would display the index4.html page if that would imprive anything.

I've had a quick google, and all ive found is that JS redirects are bad for good SEO so i'm not sure which is the best way to go really!

If you wonder why its index4, its because i've been making changes and ended up with a 4th version, obviously it's going to be changed when i figure out whats best!

Comment

Subdomains are mainly used for load balancing, you shouldn't use them for SEO reasons. Besides, doing so is a black-hat technique.

You shouldn't be redirecting users from the domain, you either need to remove it entirely, or do it on the server-side. Doing it through the HTML/JavaScript, is only breaking the back-button of the browser, and users don't like that. Your JavaScript redirect also wont pass on link juice to the index.html page, from links pointing to your actual domain.

You should note, the current best practice, is to simply make the FrontPage accesible on the actual domain, you should only show a subpage in the address bar, when the user is on a subpage, or something like that. This means that your front page should be accessible on either "www.markgoodyear.co.uk" or "markgoodyear.co.uk" This can be done by setting the directory index to index.html on your web-server, or likely in htaccess. The www vs non www is covered at http://brugbart.com/Articles/www-and...tions_178.html As well as many other useful resources.

If for some reason you can't throw out a 404 for the index.html page, then you may want to use robots.txt to restrict bots, and avoid having the same content indexed twice, from two different URLs.

If you want to optimize your portfolio page, then you shouldn't count to much on "portfolio" as a keyword. The competition on that keyword is very high, so simply having a page named portfolio.html likely wont make you rank on that keyword. You should instead try something a bit more unique, like Marks-portfolio.html, and then focus on the related keywords. Another thing to note, is that people generally ain't searching for portfolios on google, so getting traffic on the keyword "portfolio", is more likely to be from people, looking for information about how to make their own.
                        Last edited by MyTower; 07-10-2009, 04:02 AM.

Comment

It's all confusing for me at the moment! First time i've considered SEO techniques. My first aim is to get my site on the first page when someone types in my name.

My JS enabled page is more or less degradable, so technically i can do without the initial JS redirect, and i'm thinking about using PHP with javasrcipt on my portfolio page to dectect if its enabled, then displaying a message somewhere alerting the user.

From what you said above, i can change the settings so that my domain will look for another page, rather than index.html, so i could name the page mark-goodyear-graphic-designer.html and the domain will go there? Would that be a black hat technique, and would it work? Or would it be easier just to leave it as it is, and try to pick out keywords in my markup?

Comment

I have a couple questions, my company site is a Flash site. I now I know, Flash is no good for SEO, but that's what the bosses wanted. I've taken steps, such as embedding with SWFObject. This allows me to add content to my html page that is read by search sengines. I update the html content every time I add new content to the Flash movie. This has worked pretty good, and we are ranked pretty well using a lot of different keywords.

One thing I've thought about doing is adding links to all the companies' sites that are in our portfolio. This could be 25-50 links. Most of these links won't be linking back to us. Would this help/hurt?

The keyword "tradeshow displays in (my city)" results in a first page first result position, which is awesome! But if I split trade and show up.."trade show displays in (my city)" We drop waaayyy back in the page rank. I've modified my keywords to hopefully help. Is it safe to say if my keywords are in check, that traffic to our site, and back links is the only way to improve the results?

Thanks for any info, and this thread has been great!

Comment

Hay, I'm going to answer your questions, after what i strongly think, should be considered by any company, SEO, or web designer.

First, getting backlinks (sites linking to you) will never hurt, no matter how many you get naturally overnight, or post on your own. One reason for this, is that it would be far to easy for potential competitors, to hurt your rankings, simply by submitting hundreds, or thousands, or even millions of links for your site. Just make sure that the links you post doesn't look as automated spam.

There are few ways to improve your sites ranking, generally the site structure, or rather the structure of your HTML/Markup will be of some help in the beginning. But it generally doesn't matter for well established sites, likely because they have more backlinks.

If your company site uses flash, consider using it for animated elements only, such as headers, footers, and borders. But do try to keep the content textual. At least google is able to index textual content of flash, but still not as good as html content.

Then again, would there be any particular reason to use flash for everything on the site in the first place? What about accessibility? and Usability of the site? Flash is also a proprietary standard, which makes it hard to work with, since you need to buy expensive tools from adobe.

An example site can be seen from the gaming company blizzard, who have chosen to keep their content textual, and only use flash for animated elements. I.e. http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/?rhtml=y

It generally won't hurt to link to other websites, unless these sites are marked as spam, or so called "bad neighborhoods". Excessive linking to "bad-neighborhoods" likely can get your site marked as spam, or hurt your ranking in some way. But as said, its unlikely that your entire domain will be removed.

For instance, if you are running a dofollow blog, and have been unlucky enough to get one of your blog posts indexed by spam bots, who post their junk in comments on the blog post. Then its more likely that the URL for the particular blog post is marked as spam, then its likely that google decides to exclude your entire domain, and you can also easily ask for re-inclusion through the webmaster tools, when you have removed the links.

If you approve of the business connections/companies, then i actually think you should place a dofollow link for their site, unless your connection isn't relevant to the visitors of your site, in which case i would just leave out the links entirely. Having a few external links on a page wont hurt your rankings.

Backlinks is the only way, after on-page optimazions, to improve your rankings in the serps. The anchor text of your backlinks is what matters the most. By including relevant-to-page keywords as the anchor text, you may improve your placement, for same keywords. Of cause you shouldn't go out and spam keyword in all your links, you should still keep the anchor text relevant to users, while still thinking about what you use as anchor text, actual search pharses for instance.

But before linkbuilding, make sure that you have optimized the links on your own site. Both navigation links, as well as breadcrumb links, since those also help your rankings.

Originally posted by mark165 View Post
                              It's all confusing for me at the moment! First time i've considered SEO techniques. My first aim is to get my site on the first page when someone types in my name.
                              Depending on what your name is, that may be relatively easy.

What you do on the Server-side, is not going to effect SEO in any direct way. If you currently run a static website, then simply place your pages, and name them manually.

However as i already stated, its best to avoid JS redirects, for a number of reasons.
                              1: Its bad for usability, in that it breaks the backbutton.
                              2: search engines don't pick up the redirect, since the client-sided scripts they run are limited. This could lead to issues where your index page is ranked differently then your domain, plus its hard to predict which URL will show up in the search engines, since you effectively duplicated the content.
                              3: Its pointless in the first place, since following good-design practice would eliminate the need to redirect the user.

Why would you even want to redirect your users to the index page in the first place? I would even go as far, as to configure my server to throw out a 404, in the case that my users should hit in /index.html manually in their address bar. But also since its bad design to have the same content accessible on two different URLs.
                              Last edited by MyTower; 07-10-2009, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Good post MyTower!

I'm not redirecting to the index.html page as such, perhaps that was just badly named files on my part which has confused you. What it was redirecting to was my actual webpage, located at index4.html (badly chosen file name) from index.html, but anyone without JS wouldn't be redirected and be left on the initial index.html page asking to enable it. Anyways, I have taken out the JS redirect following your advice

My site is now at index.php ( changed from .html to .php as a plan too implement php things on it) no redirects or anything.

As for my name, a quick search brought up two other peoples sites, then after was directory listings, blogs and social network stuff.

I did have a wordpress portfolio that i used for my site, and that is still being listed, comes up on the 4th page, but i removed it from my server just over a week ago. I need to be able to "unlist" that one and list my actual domain name, being "markgoodyear.co.uk". Even typing markgoodyear.co.uk into google doesn't bring up my site, it actually brings this one up, along with pages i have removed from my server a while ago.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                                Working...
                                X