X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sitegrinder has a bad case of divitis.

The development process must have went something like this:
    Well… we don't actually know the users intention so lets just throw EVERYTHING in a div. At least it will validate…

Comment

here's an online interactive javascript tutorial some of you may find helpful:

http://eloquentjavascript.net/index.html
      portfolio | daily image | reffee

Comment

Wow! this is great you guys! All the resources I could hope for! Thanks for making it a sticky, Urst! you all Rock!~
        “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Comment

in hard times a bit of calculated plagarism can go a long way.. I'm not talking about copyrite infringement but just referencing someone elses code and building your own based up that. Everyone seems to have their own style, so it's a good way of grasping different approaches to layout.

Comment

I do that everywhere I go... uh not steal... but whenever I see a cool or unique site I like to take a look at their code and layout just to see how they decided to go about doing it.
            Tumblr Blog Thing

Comment

I agree!

Comment

Originally posted by NTLemon View Post
                I do that everywhere I go... uh not steal... but whenever I see a cool or unique site I like to take a look at their code and layout just to see how they decided to go about doing it.

I'm constantly checking out code. It's the best way to learn something; by seeing an example of a site in action.

Comment

Horizontal Scroll Bar

when You design for 800 by 600 you need to a lot space for the vertical scroll bar on the right I (think it's 20px wide). Also different browsers measure 800 x 600 Some measure the whole window others only the content on the page I don't remember which does which. But to be safe make the width 750px.

Comment

If your designing for 800 x 600 you need a time machine because your stuck in the past.

Presently the average screen size is 1200 x 1024. So generally the content area should be about 950 – 975px for fixed width designs.
                    Last edited by tZ; 10-08-2008, 09:50 PM.

Comment

WWWWOOOOWWWW! What a great thread I have a lot to go over. I can not wait to jump in thanks everyone for all the great links!

Comment

ditto Malice! (sidenote: funny, your avatar says Andre designs..which happens to be my name as well!)

Good luck on your web quest. Looks like we're in the same boat!

Comment

I have a couple of things I've shared with others that some of you might find useful:

Web Design Reading List - I've added to this over the past year or so, but I haven't checked to see if new editions have come out lately.

Web Site QA Checklist - It's exactly what it sounds like. If anyone thinks of something I missed, I'm all ears.

Web Design Questionnaires - A .zip file containing generic versions of the the questionnaires I've developed over the course of many years. One is specifically for interface design & functionality, and the other is for the technical stuff (domain registration & hosting info). FYI, they are geared towards designing a new web site. Taking on the redesign and/or migration of an existing site can present a whole different set of "gotchas" (esp. if any sort of back-end stuff is involved). I'm still working on compiling a list of things to look out for in such cases. *sigh*

I have some other stuff, but it needs to be reorganized & updated before I inflict it on anyone else.

Digi
                          The world is divided into people who think they are right.
                          —Anonymous

Comment

Sounds like some good stuff, Digi.
                            "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

i suggest you look up some html and css tutorials online and practise them. dont sell your services yet if your not very good wait till you get better
                              New Bebo Skins

Comment

Originally posted by urstwile View Post
                                Sounds like some good stuff, Digi.
                                Thanks, urst. Those docs are the result of years of of blood, sweat & tears.

Here's one more, folks:

Web Site Migration Checklist – This isn't really in the web design category, but if you ever need to migrate a site for a client it might save you some grief. Everything on the list it something I've personally encountered (and in some cases overlooked, ending up with egg all over my face).

Digi
                                The world is divided into people who think they are right.
                                —Anonymous

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Splashsky
                                  Advice on simple banking-style design
                                  Splashsky
                                  So, for a little background, I'm working on a text-based web game as a passion project. I'm no designer; far from it. I'm working on the banking feature of the game, which as a few features. The banking...
                                  Today, 12:10 PM
                                • PrintDriver
                                  Comment on QuarkXPress 2017 introduced
                                  PrintDriver
                                  Hi wcali, nice rant. A lot of the software companies are forgetting their main purpose in life.
                                  The Output.
                                  As a printer, I have been going round and round with Adobe over features they have...
                                  Today, 08:46 AM
                                • Peter3v
                                  Reply to Logo Design - Font to match and go alongside chosen logo
                                  Peter3v
                                  Hey B - If interested people would like to message me on earth2pete@hotmail.com that would be great. Thank you
                                  Today, 06:52 AM
                                • Breanne.C
                                  Reply to Helloooooo!
                                  Breanne.C
                                  Actually, I do have a print related issue if you'd like to take a stab at helping me with. Should I post in the correct category with the issue and picture that goes with it?
                                  Yesterday, 10:29 PM
                                • Breanne.C
                                  Reply to Font ID Please
                                  Breanne.C
                                  Oh yeah.

Catorze27 Style 1 Bold best matched it, for the exception of the M, which I easily was able to fix....
                                  Yesterday, 10:14 PM
                                GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                                Working...
                                X