X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm pretty much in the same boat you are... took some web design ages ago and now find myself having to relearn all that again... I found this site http://www.htmldog.com ... it covers both html and css and i've found it to be very educational and user friendly.

Comment

thanks for the info......
      but i usually just got to my local book store for a few hours and just read their html,php,ect books.....lol
      now i dont have to do that anymore.....lol

Comment

so where would you suggest some one get's started on webdesign?

Comment

Originally posted by chidiubani View Post
          so where would you suggest some one get's started on webdesign?
          Learn basic HTML/XHTML coding (BY HAND!!!), then CSS, then we can go from there...
          Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

Beginners Article

Probably the most informative and fun to read excerpt about basic web design in terms of HTML and CSS I have ever read. Considering I read this and baught the book shortly after about four years ago it was the stepping stone to everything else. A highly recommended read for anyone who doesn't rely on software to produce their mark-up and css.
            Last edited by tZ; 02-05-2009, 05:51 PM.

Comment

the best of thet best site for learning web design

http://www.w3schools.com/

there u will get everything u ever dreamed about learning starts off from
              html
              xhtml
              css
              php
              java
              javascript
              everything every single coding language trust me on this one
              "The Chosen One"

Comment

Very interesting and helpful thread.Just been through all the posts,great efforts everyone.
                I'm a starter on web design, learing coding is a pain I have to say,and very frustrating....

http://creativebeat.blogspot.com

Comment

I briefly went over a bit of stuff here, but I need some direction.

I have a site I built for a non-profit org. I've done some paypal stuff for them and I am able to link up a pre-built feedback form. However, what I really want to do is have a feedback form that is customized, but I know this requires a CGI script and my understanding is that the web hosting service should be able to provide this.

Is this just a matter of creating the form with the fields and then contacting them to find out exactly how the fields need to be defined?

Or am I better off creating an e-shop with their services and having the page not look like the home site? If it helps, they use the 1and1 hosting services and I do have admin access to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tea View Post
                    I briefly went over a bit of stuff here, but I need some direction.

I have a site I built for a non-profit org. I've done some paypal stuff for them and I am able to link up a pre-built feedback form. However, what I really want to do is have a feedback form that is customized, but I know this requires a CGI script and my understanding is that the web hosting service should be able to provide this.

Is this just a matter of creating the form with the fields and then contacting them to find out exactly how the fields need to be defined?

Or am I better off creating an e-shop with their services and having the page not look like the home site? If it helps, they use the 1and1 hosting services and I do have admin access to it.
                    Assuming your hosting provider supports PHP, this would be the answer. If they support something else, like ASP, instead, there are equivalent scripts out there for most languages.

Comment

Thanks Hewligan. I'll definitely check that out. I did end up using their tools and figured out how to add what I wanted, but it's a bit cumbersome for the user in my eyes.

They have to fill out a registration form, then after that they choose their "cart" items then of course using the Paypal system, they have to fill out more. But...it will work and I feel smarter today!

Comment

Hi,

Just saw your question on why a site designed at 800 x 600 does not fit completly into a browser window.

Dont know if it has been answered, but thought I would offer an explanation and this works for any sizes fixed width website:

800 x 600, or 1024 x 768 etc etc is the size of the screen, however you have to compensate for the scroll bar on the right hand side, and also for the top and bottom bars of the browser window.

I hope this helps.

The Cuban

Comment

The simplest book I found is "Web Design in a Nutshell". I think it's the third edition. Practice all the little coding examples. I've had to get more into web and CSS since there are no jobs out there for Print. I just got a new job which is mostly web, but they are willing to help me with the training because of my background in print and project management. Don't be afraid of doing the technical stuff and read a lot about website structure and interface design. The user experience is the most important thing on web.

Comment

I hope this is allowed... I created a blog based on people who SUCK at web design> I use lots of pictures and red arrows pointing at things..

http://webdesignforidiots.net

I'd love some feedback. its really for the COMPLETE web design stupid

Comment

Thx for sharing with us those websites.
                              "Love grows by giving. The love we give away is the only love we keep. The only way to retain love is to give it away."

Comment

I am also a newbie, that is why thanks a lot for useful links!
                                glitter graphics

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                                Working...
                                X