Announcement

Collapse

Critical Announcement

With great regret, we would like to inform you that the decision has been made to close down www.GraphicDesignForum.com as of January 31, 2018.

The community has started www.GraphicDesignForum.org to continue the discussion.
See more
See less

Resources: Getting started in web design

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To directly answer your questions, I don't know why your 800x600 appears larger than the screen.but i think If you did 800x 600 in the 300dpi in your print setup - the conversion to 72dpi in browsers makes the resolution go up and makes you scroll like crazy wondering what you did.

Comment

@steel_derek

If you are doing web design/development professionally, you need to learn how to create proper CSS layouts. Table-based layouts really aren't acceptable in professional web design anymore. They're horrible from an accessibility standpoint (try using a screen reader on a table-based site), a semantic standpoint, and a maintainability standpoint. Whether you use a WYSIWYG editor, or notepad/gedit/vi/emacs, or something in between, you should not be using tables for anything except for tabular data.

If you really don't want to learn some basic CSS, then you should partner up with a web developer who can translate your layout designs into HTML/CSS. This is actually how a lot of professional designers work.

Also, the reason people use Wordpress and other Content Management Systems is because the web has developed past the point of kludgy makeshift websites created from hand-coded (or hand-created in Frontpage/Dreamweaver) static web pages. Nowadays, software like Wordpress make it very easy for even novice users to set up a robust and user-friendly CMS for a variety of different types of websites.

Now, if you're just running a personal homepage, then it may not matter to you that you have to edit every page on your site manually to update the layout design, or that you need to edit HTML to make an update, or that you have to waste a lot of time writing or copying-and-pasting repetitive code. But using a CMS makes a website much more maintainable. If you need to make regular updates to a site, it's simple impractical to manually update static HTML--especially when a free CMS is so easy to set up and use nowadays that pretty much anyone who can use a word processor can operate a dynamic website.

Sure, from a web dev's standpoint (assuming you have no scruples), you make more money charging clients every time they need to make an update (as opposed to setting them up with a system that allows them to update/maintain the site themselves without any web development experience). But in the long run providing clients with well-designed, well-built dynamic websites actually earns you more money faster. Most clients have very similar needs, and it's much faster to install Wordpress/Drupal/Joomla/Magento/etc. on their site and design a custom template than it is to build a static site by hand (especially if it's a large online store or some other content-rich site). The quicker turnaround means you can get through more projects in less time, AND your clients will be happier, as will their users.
      Last edited by resilien7; 09-28-2010, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Another walk down memory lane. Thread closed.
        This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
        "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Don't Fear the Internet video series on HTML and CSS for non-web designers.
          This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
          "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• sumon_77
            What do you guys think about this designe ?
            sumon_77

What do you guys think about this gig design ?...
            Today, 06:36 AM
          • sumon_77
            Reply to T-shirt designe
            sumon_77
            i like it so much....
            Today, 06:22 AM
          • MattCarson
            Reply to Any similar font?
            MattCarson
            hello Troep, do you search it in google font? If you are not searched search still now, then do it. I don't tell you that you find that font but I hope you should find a similar one.
            Today, 04:09 AM
          • B
            Reply to Freelancing - Going out on your own
            B
            I've always had a side business doing work for various clients, but I've never bitten the bullet and taken the chance of doing it full-time. Honestly, I'm a little envious of you. Good luck!
            Yesterday, 11:52 PM
          • Jess_
            Freelancing - Going out on your own
            Jess_
            After 10 years of working for other people as a graphic designer I've decided to go out on my own! I'm not going to to quit my full-time design job until I have everything lined-up but I've made up my...
            Yesterday, 10:21 PM
          GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
          Working...
          X