X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem with contact form

i may be doing a re-design for a client who currently has a contact form on his website...

he receives the info from the form via email; however, he tells me he unable to respond to said email and gets some sort of 'failure of host to accept response' error...

he tells me he had the problem originally when the first web designer did the site...that person fixed the problem, saying there was something 'wrong with the code'...

for the past year the contact form worked and he was able to respond, but now it's quit working...

another designer was hired to re-design the site, took his money and delivered nothing...

i'm the third designer, and i'm unclear what the specific problem is...my contact form experience is via wordpress...the client doesn't do technology, and the first web designer still has access to the site, but is unapproachable...

i'm not sure what to google for...does anyone have an idea what could be at issue here?
    Monarchs Rule!

Originally posted by flutterby nut View Post
    he receives the info from the form via email; however, he tells me he unable to respond to said email and gets some sort of 'failure of host to accept response' error...
    1.) What shows up in the "To:" field when he attempts to reply?

2.) What is he using to read & reply to the form-generated emails—a desktop client like Outlook or something web-based?

Related to question #2 above, where is the error message coming from? Does he send the mail and it bounces (gets returned as undeliverable) with an error message in the body, or is the error happening when he tries to send the mail?

Digi
    The world is divided into people who think they are right.
    —Anonymous

Comment

urgh!...he rambled about receiving the email from the contact form and trying to respond to it...said something about an error and that the computer would attempt to try sending several times then give up...

given the fact that he wants me to come to his house where his computer is to go thru his images and burn them to cd myself because he has no clue about it, i'm dealing with a very technically challenged soul ...

i'm assuming he's getting the email, hitting 'reply' to it and having a problem...and, never having received the results of a form in an email personally, i'm not certain this would/should work...i rather doubt it...

so, after further thought, i think maybe the most sanity-preserving thing to do is find a contact form solution that's fail-safe, secure, idiot-proof, and requires a minimum of hand-holding...and not try to trouble-shoot this...
      Monarchs Rule!

Comment

First redirect the address to yourself and see what the real problem is.

Comment

Originally posted by flutterby nut View Post
          urgh!...he rambled about receiving the email from the contact form and trying to respond to it...said something about an error and that the computer would attempt to try sending several times then give up...
          It sounds like he may be using a desktop client. If that's the case, it's entirely possible that it may be a relay problem that has nothing to do with the form.

To prevent spam, sometimes ISPs will suddenly (and without warning) start prohibiting relaying, meaning that he will no longer be able to send outgoing mail through his business domain (let's call it acmewidgets.com for now)—e.g. when trying to send an email in Outlook you get errors along the lines of "host cannot accept..." or "relaying denied..." or "connection refused...".

My ISP is Comcast and they seem to fiddle with the relay settings form time to time—99% of the time I can send mail via my personal domains' mailboxes, but every once in a while I have to switch back to using Comcast's servers. What he would have to do get around it is set up his email client to use his ISP's SMTP settings. It's not that hard to do, but if he's as technically challenged as he sounds, then it may be a PITA trying to walk him through it.

I'll stop here since I don't want to confuse you with info you may not need. Your best bet is to first try to find out the how/when/where of the steps that result in the error he's getting, then you can work out the why.

given the fact that he wants me to come to his house where his computer is to go thru his images and burn them to cd myself because he has no clue about it...
          I feel your pain.

i'm assuming he's getting the email, hitting 'reply' to it and having a problem
          Never assume; always ask. Sometimes people do stuff you'd never in a million years imagine.

...and, never having received the results of a form in an email personally, i'm not certain this would/should work...i rather doubt it...
          If the form is properly configured to set the "from:" address as the email address the visitor entered, then there's no reason he shouldn't be able to hit "reply" and have it work.

so, after further thought, i think maybe the most sanity-preserving thing to do is find a contact form solution that's fail-safe, secure, idiot-proof, and requires a minimum of hand-holding...and not try to trouble-shoot this...
          Again, get the details first. It may be a simple fix.

Digi
          The world is divided into people who think they are right.
          —Anonymous

Comment

like Dizian said he maybe using a email client like outlook and when it cant get to the host it just fails...if your still looking for a contact forum i have a great one for you its pretty much fail safe, just let me know if you want it.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
            Working...
            X