• Saint-Michel
    Reply to Legal size cardstock for business cards
    Saint-Michel
    Alright then, thank you all for your answers
    Today, 10:20 PM
  • <b>
    Comment on Anybody use a Mac Mini?
    <b>
    Right now, at work, I'm using an early 2011 MacBook Pro. It's had no problems at all. I'll likely get a new one early next year, but I'm in no hurry because I don't want to give up the 17-inch display....
    Today, 09:47 PM
  • iyiyi
    Reply to Anybody use a Mac Mini?
    iyiyi
    Overall I haven't really ever had any problems with macs either. Basically just the grpahics card problems I've been talking about. And the 2011 MBP is notorious for them (which is what I have now)....
    Today, 09:40 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Anybody use a Mac Mini?
    <b>
    This is a puzzling discussion because the things described run counter to my experiences.

I've been buying Macs since 1984, and have probably owned, maybe, a couple dozen of them. Also during...
    Today, 09:23 PM
  • MeadowlarkGraph
    Reply to Infographics...struggle
    MeadowlarkGraph
    Okay, first attempt at less boring. More variation in text size and background, some different images, shadows. Tried a few different layouts but nothing was hitting me. I actually like "hospice...
    Today, 09:13 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do i link pages in Flash?

I have created 8 pages in flash (individual pages, prealoading, home, about me, porfolio, links, contact, blog)
    it possible to connect these pages after individually importing each page into dreamweaver? like i want to create links with HTML using Dreamweaver, or there is a better way in flash.

i did button for each link, but when i insert the action for each button, it`s not working on the web, and i get a message that says "it only allow buttons instances" I did my bottom as i choose button behavor, and then up and over stage. do i missing something?

If your doing it in flash, just flag the timeline and gotoandPlay that frame. Why do you have 8 separate web pages and then import them into Dreamweaver? This is where I am confused... Is it just a PART of the page in flash linked to through Dreamweaver? Or was the entire page created in flash?
    Professional Pixel Pusher — Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

I created the entire pages in Flash, but i didnt know a way to put it up on the web from flash, so i though that dreamweaver is used for that.

so how do i put them up on the web from Flash?

I have published my pages, i just learned recently that i should do it in one single file (all the Flash pages in one file), but it`s kind of late now, so i need to link them, and put them up on the web.

Also, i have a flip_book which i have purshed online, it will hold all of my pages for porfolio, but i need to add a background template to the flipping book, what i got with the book is a xml file where i have changed the secuense number of my jpg file, and then i save it, and i can see them as html. but i need to figure out a way to add to the flipping book my background from flash.

thanks in advances for your help
      Susette

Comment

You create you website in flash, the make a html document and put the .swf file in there, no need to complicate things.

As for your xml flip book i have no idea someone else will though, im pretty sure you can use xml in flash

Comment

Do you mean that i have to publish my web site, then i will obtain my html and swf pages, and i have to put them in the same folder, but how are they going to link to each other? like for example, from loading page, it will go to home, then when i click in porfolio once in home, it will link me to porfolio page, and so on, then back and for.

Thanks in advance for your help
          Susette

Comment

Originally posted by susetterd View Post
            ...but how are they going to link to each other? like for example, from loading page, it will go to home, then when i click in porfolio once in home, it will link me to porfolio page, and so on, then back and for.
            It sounds like you referring to a navigation menu that exists in each of 8 separate .swf files, which you are referring to as "pages" because each is embedded in an HTML page.

You need to create your links in the .fla file from within Flash. If you don't want to go back and incorporate all the pages into one file, then you'll need to go into each of the 8 .fla files, put the links to all the other pages in each one, and republish. Every time you need to change a navigation link, you will have to repeat the whole procedure.

Digi
            The world is divided into people who think they are right.
            —Anonymous

Comment

Thank you for the repply
              I linked my pages from within flash, but i linked them to the next html page, like i linked the home page to porfolio.html, then i linked home to links.html and so on.
              But how are the pages going to go back and for as html, like if i want to go back to home from porfolio, i had clicked and nothing happened. (and they are on the same folder)

Also, when i put them up on my server, they are linked from html page to another html, but not to m address like mywebsite.com
              how can i linked them to my web address? within flash.

will it work
              Originally posted by digizan View Post
              It sounds like you referring to a navigation menu that exists in each of 8 separate .swf files, which you are referring to as "pages" because each is embedded in an HTML page.

You need to create your links in the .fla file from within Flash. If you don't want to go back and incorporate all the pages into one file, then you'll need to go into each of the 8 .fla files, put the links to all the other pages in each one, and republish. Every time you need to change a navigation link, you will have to repeat the whole procedure.

Digi

Comment

These links are driving me crazy, sometimes work, sometimes dosen&#180;t eventhough i have all set up correctly.
                is there a way to copy and paste all of the layers from my pages to one file without redoing it?

Comment

I linked my pages from within flash, but i linked them to the next html page, like i linked the home page to porfolio.html, then i linked home to links.html and so on.
                  But how are the pages going to go back and for as html, like if i want to go back to home from porfolio, i had clicked and nothing happened. (and they are on the same folder)
                  The HTML page is just a container for the .swf file and has nothing do do with the internal navigation you created in Flash. In order for you to be able to go back & forth, links to each page need to exist in every published .swf file.

I'm not 100% sure I understand exactly what you've done, but if you've created something linear—in other words, if home only links to home, portfolio only links to contact, etc.—then there is no way to get back to home except to use the browser's "back" button. If this is the case, then when/if a search engine indexes your pages and a visitor lands on a page in the middle, they will be stuck there with no way to get to the other pages.

These links are driving me crazy, sometimes work, sometimes dosen´t eventhough i have all set up correctly.
                  is there a way to copy and paste all of the layers from my pages to one file without redoing it?
                  No, if it isn't working all the time then it isn't set up correctly. It sounds to me like you jumped in the ocean without really thinking about it, and you've just realized that you don't know how to swim. Now you're frantically thrashing about in the water yelling for help.

I really hate working in Flash because I don't thoroughly understand it, so I'm afraid I'm not the best person to help you with this. I can, however, advise you to take a deep breath and calm down so you can think straight.

Once you've done that, open notepad and try composing a few paragraphs that briefly & coherently outline exactly what you've done, what problem(s) you've encountered, and what result you are trying to achieve. This task should take more than 5 minutes. Once you're done, come back here and copy & paste what you've written.

Then, while you're waiting for a response, try searching online for answers. There are many web sites out there with Flash tutorials that can help you learn, but you have to be willing to make the effort—even if it means you have to go back and start from scratch.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm preaching at you, but people aren't going to help you if they can't understand what's going on or if they think you're just looking for fast, easy answers. Besides, trying to patch up something that is inherently nonviable is only going to make things exponentially worse. That's the best advice I can give you at this point.

Digi
                  —Anonymous

Comment

you make me laugh, ok. i dont know much about flash, but i know this. when i apply this code on a button instance on my home.fla Flash file
                    (release) {
                    getURL("full_porfolio.html");
                    }

it`s suppost to link me to full_home.htm (my flash file and my html file are in the same folder), and so i did for all of my button instances, and they worked on my Home.htm, but When i linked my contact flash file to my html files, like home.html (to go back and for) ( all in the same folder) the links on the web didnt work. why is that?

another issue with coding is, if you can help it`d be great:
                    I have a flip_book which is xml, and html, i want to apply a background which i have created in Flash background with buttons that will connect me back to porfolio, home.. so i have published my flash background, and i got the flash_background.html code on source on the browser, now i have to add the flip_book.html to my background html, so i have copy the code from both of them to note pad but i dont know where to insert my flip_book.html code into my background code. This is the code fro both of the

flip_book code:
                    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
                    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
                    <head>
                    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
                    <title>Photo Gallery</title>
                    <script src="Scripts/AC_RunActiveContent.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
                    </head>

<body>
                    <script type="text/javascript">
                    AC_FL_RunContent( 'codebase','http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,19,0','width','600','heigh t','400','title','Photo Gallery','src','gallery','quality','high','plugins page','http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer','movie','gallery' ); //end AC code
                    </script><noscript><object classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,19,0" width="600" height="400" title="Photo Gallery">
                    <param name="movie" value="gallery.swf" />
                    <param name="quality" value="high" />
                    <embed src="gallery.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="600" height="400"></embed>
                    </object></noscript>
                    </body>
                    </html>

background code:

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
                    <head>
                    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
                    <title>template</title>
                    <script language="javascript">AC_FL_RunContent = 0;</script>
                    <script src="AC_RunActiveContent.js" language="javascript"></script>
                    </head>
                    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
                    <!--url's used in the movie-->
                    <!--text used in the movie-->
                    <!-- saved from url=(0013)about:internet -->
                    <script language="javascript">
                    if (AC_FL_RunContent == 0) {
                    alert("This page requires AC_RunActiveContent.js.");
                    } else {
                    AC_FL_RunContent(
                    'codebase', 'http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0',
                    'width', '550',
                    'height', '400',
                    'src', 'template',
                    'quality', 'high',
                    'pluginspage', 'http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer',
                    'align', 'middle',
                    'play', 'true',
                    'loop', 'true',
                    'scale', 'showall',
                    'wmode', 'window',
                    'devicefont', 'false',
                    'id', 'template',
                    'bgcolor', '#ffffff',
                    'name', 'template',
                    'menu', 'true',
                    'allowFullScreen', 'true',
                    'allowScriptAccess','sameDomain',
                    'movie', 'template',
                    'salign', ''
                    ); //end AC code
                    }
                    </script>
                    <noscript>
                    <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0" width="550" height="400" id="template" align="middle">
                    <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
                    <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" />
                    <param name="movie" value="template.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" /> <embed src="template.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="550" height="400" name="template" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
                    </object>
                    </noscript>
                    </body>
                    </html>
                    Originally posted by digizan View Post
                    The HTML page is just a container for the .swf file and has nothing do do with the internal navigation you created in Flash. In order for you to be able to go back & forth, links to each page need to exist in every published .swf file.

I'm not 100% sure I understand exactly what you've done, but if you've created something linear—in other words, if home only links to home, portfolio only links to contact, etc.—then there is no way to get back to home except to use the browser's "back" button. If this is the case, then when/if a search engine indexes your pages and a visitor lands on a page in the middle, they will be stuck there with no way to get to the other pages.

No, if it isn't working all the time then it isn't set up correctly. It sounds to me like you jumped in the ocean without really thinking about it, and you've just realized that you don't know how to swim. Now you're frantically thrashing about in the water yelling for help.

I really hate working in Flash because I don't thoroughly understand it, so I'm afraid I'm not the best person to help you with this. I can, however, advise you to take a deep breath and calm down so you can think straight.

Once you've done that, open notepad and try composing a few paragraphs that briefly & coherently outline exactly what you've done, what problem(s) you've encountered, and what result you are trying to achieve. This task should take more than 5 minutes. Once you're done, come back here and copy & paste what you've written.

Then, while you're waiting for a response, try searching online for answers. There are many web sites out there with Flash tutorials that can help you learn, but you have to be willing to make the effort—even if it means you have to go back and start from scratch.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm preaching at you, but people aren't going to help you if they can't understand what's going on or if they think you're just looking for fast, easy answers. Besides, trying to patch up something that is inherently nonviable is only going to make things exponentially worse. That's the best advice I can give you at this point.

Digi

Comment

I think you are complicating things, im no expert in flash but can you not import the .fla files into one document and use the gotoplay function, this will save you a who lot of trouble.

Comment

when i apply this code on a button instance on my home.fla Flash file
                        (release) {
                        getURL("full_porfolio.html");
                        }

it`s suppost to link me to full_home.htm (my flash file and my html file are in the same folder), and so i did for all of my button instances, and they worked on my Home.htm, but When i linked my contact flash file to my html files, like home.html (to go back and for) ( all in the same folder) the links on the web didnt work. why is that?
                        I don't know. If the files are all in the same directory it should work. Go back into your .fla file and carefully check the spelling in all your links to make sure there are no typos. BTW, that includes checking the case—i.e. Home.html is NOT the same as home.html (on *nix servers).

...i want to apply a background which i have created in Flash background with buttons that will connect me back to porfolio, home....now i have to add the flip_book.html to my background html....but i dont know where to insert my flip_book.html code into my background code.
                        You cannot use an HTML page as a background for another HTML page. Even if you could, you wouldn't be able to use the buttons in the background because the other content would be on top of it.

I believe you can use a .swf as a background, but if I remember correctly it involves placing the code for the .swf in a div with wmode set to transparent, then positioning your content div over it and using z-index to set the stack order. You will need some CSS skills to do that, and I suspect you don't have any.

I apologize if this sounds rude, but it has to be said: Your lack of understanding of the technologies you're trying to use is resulting in a confusing mess. There's no point in trying to fix something that was created improperly from the beginning. Trying to build a web site—even if it's just to embed Flash content in HTML pages—without a basic understanding of the tools you are using is a waste of time, both for you and for anyone who would might be inclined help you.

I can't assist you any further until you spend some time working on your skills. I suggest going through all the tutorials at HTML Dog and/or reading through the I suck at web design (lots of good resources) thread here on the GD forum. For Flash, try Flash Kit or gotodanlearn.com (or just google flash basics or flash tutorials).

Best of luck to you with your efforts.

Digi
                        —Anonymous

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                        Working...
                        X