X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My web guy: full of crap?

I'm looking for some advice because I think what my web designer just told me is BS. The thing is, he's the only one at a design firm I work at that knows about web. He does the coding and key punching and leaves the rest of the graphic designers to design everything.

He just told me that a website design I made that has a transparency on the background will also make the text on top of the background transparent. He's using Dreamweaver. This doesn't seem right to me, I think he just doesn't know how to fix this problem he sees. Can't you have non transparent text on top of a background image that has a 50% transparency?

Help me prove him wrong!

just a guess but is the type part of the image you sent over ... any chance of seeing an example?
    Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
    http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm not really sure I understand your question... but assuming you are using a transparent image in the background... and using html/css to place text on top of that... there is no reason why you can't have text over that. People use transparent images on websites all the time.
      Last edited by cnic; 02-27-2009, 04:59 PM.
      CNIC - noun [see - nick]
      1. An American "nick" name for me to use on the GDF.
      2. Designer, Developer, Carpenter, Painter, Sexy... just plain sexy.
      3. One that does not like green eggs and ham. Seriously, I have very strict breakfast rules.
      For more on CNIC, see the unabridged collegiate dictionary. Or call the President.

Comment

Is the text PART of the background (an all in one image)?
        Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

Not part of the background, sorry I should have been more specific

Comment

very easily done. A div with a png fix and then text inside using a div or something to position the text. Quite a basic procedure.

Comment

yea it's very easy. tell him to just use save a whie box (doesn't matter on the size) at 70% opacity (or whatever you have) and save it as a .png.

once he does this, set it as the background-image of a 'div' that stretches across the page and then just style and input the text and logo normally.

the only browser it won't work in by default is IE6, but you can easily use supersleight to solve that problem: http://24ways.org/2007/supersleight-...ent-png-in-ie6

good luck

also, please try to be civilized/decent about it. if you be a jackass or go over his head, it's very likely he won't ever try to help you or go out of his way to make your designs look good again. trust me. our designs are worthless if you piss off the person that's coding them.
              Last edited by kevincdg; 02-27-2009, 06:19 PM.

Comment

I think I understand what the web guy is saying. He's approaching it by using CSS opacity. In that case, yes, the whole container will get the transparency. What these guys are saying is to put the transparency in the image (png is the only format that will handle it) and skip the CSS opacity. If he's a coder guy and not so much a graphics guy, his approach makes sense. Unfortunately it just doesn't work like that in this case.

Comment

Here is how it is done: http://mandelbaumonline.net/csspop/transparent/

It will work in all browsers except IE6 (With another 10-15 minutes, I could tweak it to work there too).

Feel free to use the HTML and CSS - your web-designer owes me 20 minutes of his salary.

Comment

You are on a public forum bad mouthing a collegue's ability and by association the stature of the design firm you work for, and then post images that make you traceable. This seems a tad foolish.
                    at best my spelling *and grammar* is crap and at worst it are be carp

Comment

Originally posted by frankster View Post
                      You are on a public forum bad mouthing a collegue's ability and by association the stature of the design firm you work for, and then post images that make you traceable. This seems a tad foolish.
                      What a load of poppycock!

• There are far too many charlatans in our business, the sooner they are weeded out the better for the all of us.
                      • The graphic that MaeFreds posted is on imageshack - try and trace that!
                      • We have no way of knowing if the graphic posted is the original or one that was made up as a demo.

Comment

I found not the design firm, but the client's Web site in less than a minute. At least the information in the graphic agrees with the info on the Web site.
                        This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                        "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

As long as no one mentions the client name in this thread or the image comes up with the name in a browser image search, no one will find it.

Stranger things have happened.

Comment

where's MD?

lol
                            "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                              As long as no one mentions the client name in this thread or the image comes up with the name in a browser image search, no one will find it.

Stranger things have happened.
                              Unless the web designer also is a member here.
                              This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                              "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X